What's your opinion on this quote about Prayer?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

GalaxyGirlPR

Dec 17, 2006
I would like to know what's your opinion on this quote by Leonard Ravenhill? Do you agree? Do you disagree? Do you think it speaks of what you see today in church?

The Cinderella of the Church today is the prayer meeting. This handmaid of the Lord is unloved and unwooed because she is not dripping with pearls of intellectualism, nor glamorous with the silks of philosophy, neither is she enchanting with the tiara of psychology. She wears the homespuns of sincerity and humility and so is not afraid to kneel!
- LEONARD RAVENHILL

A

amymine712

I don't see that in my personal life or in my church. We are a praying bunch and I enjoy spending time talking to God.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
anointedtoteach.wordpress.com/2012/11/17/with-all-thy...Cached
... unwooed because she is not dripping with the pearls of intellectualism, nor glamorous with the silks of philosophy; neither is she enchanting with the ...

Seems to me he is simply saying that the "prayer meeting" in a congregation is not as accepted as it used to be......he is a bit "wordy, or colorful" in his statement, but that is about the gist of it..........and, for some congregations, this is probably a valid critique............but not for all congregations.....

W

Witness45

What's a "prayer meeting?" Probably a stupid question, just never heard of one.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Can only speak for myself...........a Prayer Meeting is referring to a gathering of believers to spend time in prayer to God for a variety of reasons, needs, concerns for themselves, their family, friends.........whatever/whoever.......and especially being in prayer to worship and praise God.

Normally, these meetings are on Wednesday nights..........or Sunday nights in my church........and many others I suppose. However, a prayer meeting can be held anytime, anywhere.........when believers gather in prayer for one reason or another, that is a prayer meeting.......

Aug 15, 2009
I would like to know what's your opinion on this quote by Leonard Ravenhill? Do you agree? Do you disagree? Do you think it speaks of what you see today in church?

The Cinderella of the Church today is the prayer meeting. This handmaid of the Lord is unloved and unwooed because she is not dripping with pearls of intellectualism, nor glamorous with the silks of philosophy, neither is she enchanting with the tiara of psychology. She wears the homespuns of sincerity and humility and so is not afraid to kneel!
- LEONARD RAVENHILL
I agree with him.....I believe his flowery words are probably speaking to those of intellect, philosophy, & psychology as in his quote, to get their attention.

However, we mustn't leave out the groups that are looking for their next move of excitement, like those who long for the "concert shows" of praise & worship, who think the bigger & more elaborate, the better. Just something to think about.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
The Church could use more prayer/relying on God and less, planning mtgs., committees, programs, carnivals, church growth tactics/techniques, monetary pleadings etc.
I'd also say cinderella's twin is the church's witnessing team ...and I don't mean going out and inviting people to come to your church.
The quote is a fair assessment.

tribesman

Oct 13, 2011
The Church could use more prayer/relying on God and less, planning mtgs., committees, programs, carnivals, church growth tactics/techniques, monetary pleadings etc.
I'd also say cinderella's twin is the church's witnessing team ...and I don't mean going out and inviting people to come to your church.
I wish we could drop them committees altogether. Most of them are but sleeping pills.

D

didymos

(...) This handmaid of the Lord is unloved and unwooed because she is not dripping with pearls of intellectualism, nor glamorous with the silks of philosophy, neither is she enchanting with the tiara of psychology.She wears the homespuns of sincerity and humility and so is not afraid to kneel!

- LEONARD RAVENHILL
In the Bible Mary is referred to as 'handmaid of the Lord.' (Luke 1:38 / KJV)
Use of that title as a metaphor for 'prayer' will set you on the wong track.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
:)
I have to wonder how many people here actually have any experience dealing with a Church Congregation, and all that entails. Can the church/congregation always use more prayer? YES! That being said, to think that a church congregation can exist without comities, or meetings, and planning, and, yes, tithing by the congregation is so very naïve...........just saying.

Paul himself instructed the church to do all things in an "orderly manner." Now, all these "carnivals" and such are way overstated in my opinion. Just in the area where I live........say the three Counties around me..........there are at least 200 churches...........and not once this year have any of them had a "carnival." As far as "church growth" goes........goodness, let us just RIP OUT the last Chapter of Matthew..............eh? Growing the Church IS WHY WE ARE HERE!

Yes, Prayer Meetings are an essential need for any congregation............but to discount all the rest is foolish at best.

jb

Feb 27, 2010
What's a "prayer meeting?" Probably a stupid question, just never heard of one.
?????????????????????????????