What's your thoughts on Enoch

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
The book of Enoch is a proverbial looney tunes episode of wile e coyote painting a mural of a tunnel into the mountainside of the modern-day rapture theology.

Genesis 5:23 says that Enoch lived a total of 365 years, and God took him.
Here the same definition of took is presented with the same meaning group, Strong's 3c, as that of Ezekiel 33:4,6 used of the sword taking away their lives.

Although Enoch may not have seen death, he certainly died, as all men must. For from Adam to Moses death reigned, even over those who did not sin in the way of Adam's transgression (Romans 5:14). And if we back up to v. 12, we see, "Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, so also death was passed on to all men, because all sinned."

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Although Enoch may not have seen death, he certainly died, as all men must.
How would that even be possible? You are mistaken in thinking that all men MUST die. Enoch was translated to Heaven without experiencing death, just like Elijah, and just like all the saints who will be raptured. They will not experience death.

Omegatime

Apr 29, 2023
Pennsylvania
How would that even be possible? You are mistaken in thinking that all men MUST die. Enoch was translated to Heaven without experiencing death, just like Elijah, and just like all the saints who will be raptured. They will not experience death.
They could be the two witnesses who will see death

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
@Omegatime, The OP asked, and offered my earnest opinion, I'm sorry it saddens you but I don't apologize for offering it.

The OP asked my opinion of the book and I offered it. Forgive me for imposing if I was not included in the request for thought, but that is how I view it.
How can anyone not see death yet be taken? Idk, but I can only imagine that it'd be the most ideal way to die. He'd just go to sleep and God would take him in his sleep. That's the most peaceful expiration I can think of. And concerning Elijah, nobody knows where Moses' grave is and likewise, nobody can find Elijah's. He was taken up in a whirlwind and (was it Elias?... anyway someone) had set their mind to look for him. Elias mourned him, "saying, my father, my father, the chariots..." which was a common lamentation when someone died.

At any rate, no one knows where Moses is buried, though we know he died since scripture is more explicit about it in his case. Yet, Moses is seen along with Elijah on the mount of transfiguration with Jesus. Would you suppose that if a dead body were inadvertently thrown into his grave that it would come back to life as in the case of Elias? or also if it Elijah? Perhaps this is exactly the reason no one could know for certain where they are.

Not that I suppose you would consider that as a possibility, of course. I can see that you've already determined you cannot be wrong so then I must be.

Fundaamental

Mar 17, 2023
@Omegatime, The OP asked, and offered my earnest opinion, I'm sorry it saddens you but I don't apologize for offering it.

The OP asked my opinion of the book and I offered it. Forgive me for imposing if I was not included in the request for thought, but that is how I view it.
How can anyone not see death yet be taken? Idk, but I can only imagine that it'd be the most ideal way to die. He'd just go to sleep and God would take him in his sleep. That's the most peaceful expiration I can think of. And concerning Elijah, nobody knows where Moses' grave is and likewise, nobody can find Elijah's. He was taken up in a whirlwind and (was it Elias?... anyway someone) had set their mind to look for him. Elias mourned him, "saying, my father, my father, the chariots..." which was a common lamentation when someone died.

At any rate, no one knows where Moses is buried, though we know he died since scripture is more explicit about it in his case. Yet, Moses is seen along with Elijah on the mount of transfiguration with Jesus. Would you suppose that if a dead body were inadvertently thrown into his grave that it would come back to life as in the case of Elias? or also if it Elijah? Perhaps this is exactly the reason no one could know for certain where they are.

Not that I suppose you would consider that as a possibility, of course. I can see that you've already determined you cannot be wrong so then I must be.
there's a passage that states Elisha's bones had healing powers ,

So I'm assuming so to would have moses and Elijah.

But anyhow isn't the believe God didn't want a shrine to made out of the bones of moses (in the form of idolatry).

But satan wanted to know the ware about of the bones because he wanted idolatry?

Only mount Sinai was a place satan couldn't go because God was there ?.

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
there's a passage that states Elisha's bones had healing powers ,

So I'm assuming so to would have moses and Elijah.

But anyhow isn't the believe God didn't want a shrine to made out of the bones of moses (in the form of idolatry).

But satan wanted to know the ware about of the bones because he wanted idolatry?

Only mount Sinai was a place satan couldn't go because God was there ?.
Could be, but only God knows for sure. I don't recall, is it supposedly somewhere on Mt Sinai?

Fundaamental

Mar 17, 2023
Could be, but only God knows for sure. I don't recall, is it supposedly somewhere on Mt Sinai?
supposedly yes

It could be God did take there bodies up so that satan couldn't gain access to there bones.

But they could have been alive at that point, so it's not nesacsrily pointing towards how the rapture will work if you get my meaning 😉

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
There exists 100 tests for any writing to be accepted as scripture. And even then each was assigned an order of preference for cannonicity. (Which is what "Tenakh" is an acronym of)

In the first paragraph the Book of Enoch fails all of them. Especially the more important ones.

During the time of Enoch there was no written language that has survived to this day.
Then the flood came when only 8 survived. So other than by oral tradition how did the book survive?

The internal evidence of the book is that it was written in Egypt around 100 BC. It was popular fiction as it contained portions of myths and common legends of Talmud. (Talmud is fairy tales surrounding various characters in scripture)

Jesus also quoted Confucious....doesn't mean that Jesus thought that the man was one of His either.

Modern references used in a modern preaching setting are still used to this day. I could easily quote from a character in Star Wars and use it in a lesson....it doesn't mean that I believe that Star Wars is true history....