When did the Holy Spirit arrive?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
In John 16:7, Jesus says 'Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.' I think we would all agree that the Comforter mentioned is the Holy Spirit. This was towards the end of Jesus' ministry.

So how is it that when Jesus was taken as a mere child to the Temple for dedication (Luke 2:21-34), Simeon was already being ministered to by the Holy Spirit?

B

Bryancampbell

I believe Jesus was talking about the new birth, the regeneration of a believer, with the indwelling of the Spirit. A seal of your redemption, and a guide to all believers.

Sep 4, 2012
The holy spirit has always been present with mankind.

For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to shew himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him. Herein thou hast done foolishly: therefore from henceforth thou shalt have wars. 2 Chronicles 16:9

For who hath despised the day of small things? for they shall rejoice, and shall see the plummet in the hand of Zerubbabel with those seven; they are the eyes of the LORD, which run to and fro through the whole earth. Zechariah 4:10

And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth. Revelation 5:6​

K

kenisyes

It is a question of degree. Before Pentecost Day, the Holy SPirit was present in a few select people, or in groups only on occasion. Joel's prophecy was fulfilled on the first Pentecost, and then a portion of the HS was on all flesh.

S

Sanashankar

In John 16:7, Jesus says 'Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.' I think we would all agree that the Comforter mentioned is the Holy Spirit. This was towards the end of Jesus' ministry.

So how is it that when Jesus was taken as a mere child to the Temple for dedication (Luke 2:21-34), Simeon was already being ministered to by the Holy Spirit?
Holy spirit was not given to all people in the old testament, but only a few....the prophets and very few chosen ones. But after Jesus Christ fulfilled the law, we are under the "new covenant". According to the new covenant, God gives holy spirit to everyone who believes in his son, they are forgiven by god.

Hb 8:10 For this [is] the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
Hb 8:11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.
Hb 8:12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.

Now holy spirit is the earnest of our inheritence, which we ar going to get in the future.

Eph 1:13 In whom ye also [trusted], after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
Eph 1:14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

O

overcomer2

If this makes sense. I believe he,( H.S.) operated on the outside. When Jesus left he now operates on the inside he actually dwells within you now.