WHEN SOMEONE COMMITS A SIN/SINS - HOW DOES GOD REACT

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

lesley0206

A friend of mine has committed the top most (IMO) sin of all - Sexual immorality (with a married man, who now says he is divorcing his wife), but who has had sex with his soon to be ex wife then asked my friend to forgive him.

My friend is a born again christian and was baptized the same day as me (May 2013). I, friends and members of the church have tried to talk to her but she has decided that she loves this man and thinks she is doing anything wrong so she has left the church. Before she left the church I told her to ask God what he wanted her to do before even thinking about leaving. Her reply was that she asked God but he didnt speak to her so she left the church.

However, now she says she is still talking to God and he has given her what she prayed for, this man. Also that God is listening to her cos all her plans/wishes are coming true.

She is also saying that she will just go to another church or they might get married then she will come back to church and repent. I told her it didnt matter which church she went to, IT WAS THE SAME GOD and she has sinned! I find this hard to understand.

My head is spinning and I need some answers please:-

1. Will God still talk to this person, even when she has committed the sin/s and thinks her actions are right?

2. Bible references please

Hizikyah

Aug 25, 2013
I dont know what is going on but sometimes humans listen to their own mind and call it "God." IDK if this applies or not but humans do it at times.

Isayah 59:1-3, "Behold, Yahweh's hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; nor His ear heavy, that it cannot hear. But your own iniquities have separated you from your Father; and your own sins have caused Him to hide His face from you, so He will not listen. For your hands are defiled with blood, and your fingers with iniquity; sin. Your lips have spoken lies, your tongue has muttered perverseness."

However there is hope:

1 Yahchanan (John) 1:7, "But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Yahshua Messiah His Son cleanses us from all sin."

Acts 3:19, "Repent therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out; that times of refreshing may come from the presence of Yahweh."

1 Yahchanan (John) 1:9, "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

1 yahchanan 5:14, "Afterward, Yahshua found him in the sacred precincts and said to him: Behold, you are healed. Sin no more, or a worse thing will come upon you."

May 15, 2013
A friend of mine has committed the top most (IMO) sin of all - Sexual immorality (with a married man, who now says he is divorcing his wife), but who has had sex with his soon to be ex wife then asked my friend to forgive him.

My friend is a born again christian and was baptized the same day as me (May 2013). I, friends and members of the church have tried to talk to her but she has decided that she loves this man and thinks she is doing anything wrong so she has left the church. Before she left the church I told her to ask God what he wanted her to do before even thinking about leaving. Her reply was that she asked God but he didnt speak to her so she left the church.

However, now she says she is still talking to God and he has given her what she prayed for, this man. Also that God is listening to her cos all her plans/wishes are coming true.

She is also saying that she will just go to another church or they might get married then she will come back to church and repent. I told her it didnt matter which church she went to, IT WAS THE SAME GOD and she has sinned! I find this hard to understand.

1. Will God still talk to this person, even when she has committed the sin/s and thinks her actions are right?

Matthew 18:22Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.

Matthew 5:7
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.

Hebrews 12:6
because the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and he chastens everyone he accepts as his son.”

john832

May 31, 2013
David did somewhat the same thing but even worse, he compounded it with murder. God didn't forgive him until he repented and yet there was a price to pay...

2Sa 12:9 Wherefore hast thou despised the commandment of the LORD, to do evil in his sight? thou hast killed Uriah the Hittite with the sword, and hast taken his wife to be thy wife, and hast slain him with the sword of the children of Ammon.
2Sa 12:10 Now therefore the sword shall never depart from thine house; because thou hast despised me, and hast taken the wife of Uriah the Hittite to be thy wife.
2Sa 12:11 Thus saith the LORD, Behold, I will raise up evil against thee out of thine own house, and I will take thy wives before thine eyes, and give them unto thy neighbour, and he shall lie with thy wives in the sight of this sun.
2Sa 12:12 For thou didst it secretly: but I will do this thing before all Israel, and before the sun.
2Sa 12:13 And David said unto Nathan, I have sinned against the LORD. And Nathan said unto David, The LORD also hath put away thy sin; thou shalt not die.
2Sa 12:14 Howbeit, because by this deed thou hast given great occasion to the enemies of the LORD to blaspheme, the child also that is born unto thee shall surely die.
2Sa 12:15 And Nathan departed unto his house. And the LORD struck the child that Uriah's wife bare unto David, and it was very sick.
2Sa 12:16 David therefore besought God for the child; and David fasted, and went in, and lay all night upon the earth.
2Sa 12:17 And the elders of his house arose, and went to him, to raise him up from the earth: but he would not, neither did he eat bread with them.
2Sa 12:18 And it came to pass on the seventh day, that the child died. And the servants of David feared to tell him that the child was dead: for they said, Behold, while the child was yet alive, we spake unto him, and he would not hearken unto our voice: how will he then vex himself, if we tell him that the child is dead?
2Sa 12:19 But when David saw that his servants whispered, David perceived that the child was dead: therefore David said unto his servants, Is the child dead? And they said, He is dead.

David was not allowed to build the Temple of God. But God did forgive him because David's repentance was genuine...

Psa 51:1 To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David, when Nathan the prophet came unto him, after he had gone in to Bathsheba. Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.
Psa 51:2 Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.
Psa 51:3 For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me.
Psa 51:4 Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest.
Psa 51:5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.
Psa 51:6 Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom.
Psa 51:7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
Psa 51:8 Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice.
Psa 51:9 Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities.
Psa 51:10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
Psa 51:11 Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.
Psa 51:12 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.
Psa 51:13 Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee.
Psa 51:14 Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, thou God of my salvation: and my tongue shall sing aloud of thy righteousness.
Psa 51:15 O Lord, open thou my lips; and my mouth shall shew forth thy praise.
Psa 51:16 For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give it: thou delightest not in burnt offering.
Psa 51:17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.
Psa 51:18 Do good in thy good pleasure unto Zion: build thou the walls of Jerusalem.
Psa 51:19 Then shalt thou be pleased with the sacrifices of righteousness, with burnt offering and whole burnt offering: then shall they offer bullocks upon thine altar.

There is no sin God cannot forgive when repented of (Except Blasphemy of the H.S.). But repentance must be genuine and thorough.

john832

May 31, 2013

There is yet another part of this equation. Can they marry?

Mat 5:31 It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement:
Mat 5:32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

Nope. They will be living in adultery.

May 15, 2013
2 Samuel 12:6He must pay for that lamb four times over, because he did such a thing and had no pity.”

#1 2 Samuel 12:18
On the seventh day the child died. David’s attendants were afraid to tell him that the child was dead, for they thought, “While the child was still living, he wouldn't listen to us when we spoke to him. How can we now tell him the child is dead? He may do something desperate.”

#2 2 Samuel 13:19

Tamar put ashes on her head and tore the ornate robe she was wearing. She put her hands on her head and went away, weeping aloud as she went.

#3 2 Samuel 13:28
Absalom ordered his men, “Listen! When Amnon is in high spirits from drinking wine and I say to you, ‘Strike Amnon down,’ then kill him. Don’t be afraid. Haven’t I given you this order? Be strong and brave.”

#4 2 Samuel 18:14
Joab said, “I’m not going to wait like this for you.” So he took three javelins in his hand and plunged them into Absalom’s heart while Absalom was still alive in the oak tree.

L

lesley0206

Thank you for all your posts. My friend is intent on sinning after sinning after sinning. She has said that the man doesnt know what he wants but to start off with he will divorce his wife. BTW he is an unbeliever.

I have told her there will be consequences to the sin - so she decided to leave the church. She literally thinks what she is doing is the right thing so she there is no chance that she will repent.

It is this constant sinning that is getting me down. I know we should show mercy on her and forgive not 7 times but 77 times (Mtthw), and sometimes I think is the hassle worth it - YES comes back the thought in my head straightaway. But it is the younger members of church, who know what she is doing, that are finding it hard to come to terms with. I know that our sins will be forgiven through Jesus Christ, but surely it doesnt give anyone the right to keep sinning especially the same sin plus a few more on top. Also I told her that she should treat her body like a temple as within her lies the HS. But she keeps sinning with sexual immorality plus other things. Surely she is defiling the HS?

In doing so, will God leave her altogether?

Bookends

Aug 28, 2012
How did God react to Sodom and Gomorrah? If not in this life time, then in the next. God is same yesterday, today and tomorrow. All sins cut you off from relationship to God, but some carry heavier consequences.

Hizikyah

Aug 25, 2013
Thank you for all your posts. My friend is intent on sinning after sinning after sinning. She has said that the man doesnt know what he wants but to start off with he will divorce his wife. BTW he is an unbeliever.

I have told her there will be consequences to the sin - so she decided to leave the church. She literally thinks what she is doing is the right thing so she there is no chance that she will repent.

It is this constant sinning that is getting me down. I know we should show mercy on her and forgive not 7 times but 77 times (Mtthw), and sometimes I think is the hassle worth it - YES comes back the thought in my head straightaway. But it is the younger members of church, who know what she is doing, that are finding it hard to come to terms with. I know that our sins will be forgiven through Jesus Christ, but surely it doesnt give anyone the right to keep sinning especially the same sin plus a few more on top. Also I told her that she should treat her body like a temple as within her lies the HS. But she keeps sinning with sexual immorality plus other things. Surely she is defiling the HS?

Yahweh's hand is always out to recieve, but humans have free will so they must choose to partake of what Yahweh has for them. i think from a much smaller and more simple standpoint we are to be the same way. we cant force anyone, but should always be ready and willing, you know in season out of season kind of thing, always ready to build up the body of Messiah.

PS i agree with your views, i believe they match Scripture well.

Bookends

Aug 28, 2012
This is my take on it, if she is a true/genuine believe she won't be able to live in sin for long before it eats her up and God's chastens her back into the fold OR, she's not a true or genuine believer to begin with and takes on the Spirit of Judas Iscariot.

L

lesley0206

Thank you all for your replies. Hizaikyah - thank you for saying that you believe my views match Scripture well. Bookends - Im afraid to say that I think she is the latter, but I will be here to pick up the pieces and bring her back to the fold if she ever decides to repent. However, she thinks she has done nothing wrong so therefore she has no need to repent! I will pray for her daily and hope that this man (the unbeliever) leaves her alone to come back to God and be in his family once more - I will not give up on her!

I would just like to say that as a born again christian (May 2013) who is learning the bible for the first time ever. Sometimes things are hard and others are easy but life with the Lord is AWESOME and I am so happy to be part of his family.

Aug 2, 2013
Your friend is in willful rebellion against God. Paul makes it pretty clear that anyone practicing fornication has no inheritance in the kingdom of God (Gal. 5:19-21; Eph. 5:3-5). Paul warned the Thessalonians that it is the will of God for them to abstain from fornication and whoever rejects this teaching isn't rejecting Paul, but God Himself (1 Thess. 4:2-8).

Odds are this jerk isn't going to leave his wife but will play your friend along as long as he can. You have got to let her do her thing and pray that she is overcome with godly sorrow and repents (2 Cor. 7:10, 11).

notuptome

May 17, 2013
1 Cor 5 is an interesting passage on this subject. Tragic situation to say the least.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

M

Mammachickadee

She can convince herself that it's all okay... and sometimes God will give a person their way until they run themselves into a corner and turn around back to His arms.
The Lord will keep voicing His opinion in her heart and mind. Even if the consequences are not immediate and she's lulled into a false sense of security she will never have peace.
Romans 8:38-39
No sin will take away her salvation and no running will outrun His loving hand of direction and consequences.

May 15, 2013
Thank you all for your replies. Hizaikyah - thank you for saying that you believe my views match Scripture well. Bookends - Im afraid to say that I think she is the latter, but I will be here to pick up the pieces and bring her back to the fold if she ever decides to repent. However, she thinks she has done nothing wrong so therefore she has no need to repent! I will pray for her daily and hope that this man (the unbeliever) leaves her alone to come back to God and be in his family once more - I will not give up on her!

I would just like to say that as a born again christian (May 2013) who is learning the bible for the first time ever. Sometimes things are hard and others are easy but life with the Lord is AWESOME and I am so happy to be part of his family.
You have to reap (Gather) what you sow (spread). Only way for her to understand since she's not listening is that she will be walking in the footsteps of the victim in this case. She's going to be put in the same situation as the one she's walking over and then she will understand the victim. But if she never have been disciplined for what she's doing, that means that she isn't a child or the victim wanted her husband to find someone else.

Oct 31, 2011
She is listening to other voices and calling them God. That is very dangerous. It is worse than the sin, it is not labeling sin correctly and calling other forces God. God does not give us our fleshly wishes to be happy. God gives us joy, contentment, peace and such to be happy. Sin never leads to these things.

God is a loving God, who only wants her in His kingdom, this is not leading to that.

The scriptures that tell of what I am saying are ones telling of the forces that are opposed to God. The entire bible tells of the "shalom" that God wants for us, and gives lists of fruits of the spirit.

L

lesley0206

Thank you to everyone for their comments on this subject. I realise that until she repents she will never be back in favour with God. God will wait just like us and we will be there for her, to pick up the pieces and bring her back to our Lord. I will just have to keep praying for her.

R

Reformedjason

God does not react. He knows you were going to sin a million years ago, it does not surprise him. It does however weaken your connection to the Holy Spirit. The one strong feeling you will have is a need to confess and repent.