When struggling with sin issues?

• Thread starter coveredbytheblood20
  • Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

coveredbytheblood20

Brothers and sisters. When one gives into certain sin issues constantly, where does he/she find the strength to get back up and walk in purity without condemnation and shame?

P

Perk

One finds the strength through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ through His intercessory sacrifice on the cross, in which He took up our sins that we may be able to be saved. So in short friend, there is nothing but Christ that will give you strength. I think you probably were looking for some practical advice, but the thing is we live under a God that works beyond our views of practicality. HE is good. And HE is truth. So look to Him for your strength. :) Hope this helps.

U

Ugly

Well, to give you answer thats not so typical and expected, a big key is reminding yourself that as long as you are fighting against this sin and maintaining a desire to overcome it, then God has forgiven you. While keeping a knowledge of conviction, but not walking in condemnation. Don't let your failures hold you down or keep you from knowing that you are still a loved child of God.
Check out this video, the point isn't if you like the music or not, but pay attention to the lyrics. I picked a version that displays the lyrics so you can focus on them more. I used to listen to this a lot to help deal with how i felt when i struggled with sins.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8IMvTYwXTw[/video]

M

Matt777

Like everyone else, I have struggled with besetting sins. I am happy to say, thanks to the grace of God in Christ, I have overcome many of them. Yet I am very far from perfect and I struggle daily, as we all will while we are still in the flesh. I have found that the key is surrender.

When we try to be holy in our own strength we inevitably fail, and end up looking to our sin rather than looking to Christ. We need to come to a place where we recognize and confess our weakness, understanding our total dependence upon God for our sanctification. Prayer is essential in all of this, along with constantly feeding upon God's word. We need to always look to Christ and refresh our hearts and minds with the Gospel on a daily basis. Don't keep gazing intently at your sin, confess it and look to Christ!

Make it a habit to continually surrender your will to the Lord, and purpose in your heart not to sin but to do his will, by his grace. You will not attain perfection, you will sin, but you will grow in holiness as God sanctifies you by the power of the Holy Spirit through the renewal of your mind by the Word. Know who you are in Christ, and let the word of God dwell richly within you.

On that note, let me leave off with this wonderful passage from Ephesians, that we may all be edified by the knowledge of who we are in Christ;

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved. In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight making known to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose, which he set forth in Christ as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth. In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will, so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory. In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory."
- Ephesians 1:3-14 (ESV)