When you were a child at Christmas...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A

arwen7

I remember the first Christmas I ever had ... I was five... First year I was with my new adoptive family... I smelled things I had never smelled.. Cookies baking, music in the air.. I didn't know why people were wrapping things up or what a present was ... I remeber asking my mom why she was putting funny paper around things.
I thought it was funny to chop a tree down to bring it inside... even funnier putting lights on it :). I remember waking up in the middle of the night and on my way to the bathroom, I saw all these things under the tree and bikes.. I ran into my brothers room and woke him up yelling. " a robber broke in !! There must be more than one because they hid their bikes behind the tree... Christmas was unfamiliar to me, I had no idea all the beautiful traditions and love God had waiting for me in the years to come... my real Christmas gift was my new family :)
What a beautiful story!

C

Chrissy77

We were not well off when I was a kid. The gift I remember as a kid was that my parents instilled the importance of family into me. My dad is one of those guys who says don't treat me special just because it is Father's Day. He always says to appreciate the ones you love all year. I honestly can only really remember getting presents from my grandparents except one year. I am sure my mom would be able to tell me if I received any more but it just didn't make the impact that other things made in my life. I guess this is one of the reasons why I am not high maintenance in that department when I date a guy because you can give me one rose and I would be in heaven. Our family times were spent going window shopping, looking at all the lights in the mall, driving around town looking at decorated houses, making cut out cookies with my mom, or just having the whole family get together. I have instilled these same values in my kids. I may not have a lot with being a single, home schooling, working mother but we make sure some of what we do have we give to a family who doesn't have. We find one family that we know or have met and will make up a basket with food and little gifts then drop it off without letting them know it is from us. It makes my kids feel good knowing they made someone's Christmas even better.:)

P

Powemm

Lol... it's beautiful till you hear my brother tell it, makes me laugh out loud thinking the millions of times he's told the story, each time the story gets more elaborate... I remember when I ran in to tell him about the robbers with the bikes hiding behind the tree , how alarmed I was when I heard the words.... " MOM! MAKE HER STOP!!" she's telling us what we got from Santa!! I had no clue who santa was, I thought we were under attack!!

P

Powemm

Chrissy, your story is what Christmas is all about!! LOVE IT!

P

Powemm

I love all the stories told on here... it brings everything Christ is to life.. warmth, love, security, blessings... I wasn't really in the mood for all the rigamaroo of the holidays.. but reading all these stories reminds me of how important reaching out to others as Christ does for us every day , really is...the traditions of men helps me to remember the long standing traditions that never change in Christ ..

C

Chrissy77

Chrissy, your story is what Christmas is all about!! LOVE IT!

Thank you!! It was wonderful reading your story. We never believed in Santa because my mom didn't want us to think the reason we didn't get gifts was because we were naughty.

J

Jullianna

I remember the first Christmas I ever had ... I was five... First year I was with my new adoptive family... I smelled things I had never smelled.. Cookies baking, music in the air.. I didn't know why people were wrapping things up or what a present was ... I remeber asking my mom why she was putting funny paper around things.
I thought it was funny to chop a tree down to bring it inside... even funnier putting lights on it :). I remember waking up in the middle of the night and on my way to the bathroom, I saw all these things under the tree and bikes.. I ran into my brothers room and woke him up yelling. " a robber broke in !! There must be more than one because they hid their bikes behind the tree... Christmas was unfamiliar to me, I had no idea all the beautiful traditions and love God had waiting for me in the years to come... my real Christmas gift was my new family :)
This is precious. Thank you for sharing it.

P

Powemm

Gods stories are the best! He's the Author and finisher In all of em :)

A

arwen7

These stories are the reason why I posted the thread. It seems like we can get so busy and stressed during the holidays, its does some good to pause for a moment, and reflect on some meaningful memories as a child. Thank you for sharing them

Stuey

Aug 17, 2009
I just remember being so ridiculously excited. I don't get like that now. lol And so unconditionally happy, so little thought. The family was great to hang with. Now I enjoy it, but it does just feel like another day.

I actually saw some videos of myself at christmas when I was three a few days ago. Was really amusing.

Last edited:
P

Powemm

Stuey... You're solid :)

P

Powemm

error... your tree is awesome!!!

P

Powemm

Arwen- thumbs up on the the thread

A

arwen7

I remember getting chocolate advent calendars which I could never wait for the days to pass to open the next flap. The warmth of the fireplace at my aunts house on Christmas Eve, listening to music and passing around presents.
I remember as a child looking out my window at the moon shining down making all the snow glow blue, thinking about what Jesus did and what Christmas means. The night was different than every other night. There was magic in the air.

J

jen717

I just remember being surrounded by family. We would go to my great grandmother's house on Christmas Eve and spend it with my mom's family. I love my mom's family. They were so crazy (in a fun loving way of course). We would drive home and anxiously await Santa. My brother and I would sometimes wake up and couldn't go back to sleep. We would talk about sneaking into the lving room to peek and see if Santa had come. My sister would be up some but usually ended up going back to sleep. lol We would get up pretty early on Christmas morning and open presents. Later, we would go spend Christmas Day with my dad's side of the family. I really miss those times.

Stuey

Aug 17, 2009
Thanks Powemm, very kind of you. :)