Where do I draw the line?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
D

dalblessed

Hey everyone I recently joined this service and I was wondering about spiritual discipline. I mean I must admit that I'm not very bible savy I grew up around the church but I never really took my faith very seriously till about two months ago. My desire right now is to grow spiritually and allow GOD to have his will accomplished in my life, but then at times I tend to feel inadequate especially when I might slip up. I know that the bible speaks about grace as it flows continually but how can and where do I draw the line with some of my old ways ? Is there anyone who can please give me some insight or biblical reference as to how to deal with this feeling or is it normal to feel this way?

Thanks in advance,
Dalblessed.

L

Lyndies

I'd say it's pretty norml to feel tht way. And you just hve to know that Jesus IS our righteousness. In Him we re perfected. There's nothing we can do to measure up because we will fail. But if we realize that He has lredy defeated everything for us, then He's the One that can change us from our old ways and give us His desires.

C

ChristopherMichael

When it comes to dealing with your old ways, if they keep you from being close to God or cause others to stumble, then they've got to go. God says that we're a new creation in him once we're saved; that we've been re-born. A lot of things are hard to put past you, or to let go of, but the good news is that as you put yourself in situations where you draw closer to God, you'll start to hunger for things that are good and righteous and holy. You'll actually want to leave all the old stuff behind; you won't have to push yourself as hard to cut them loose.

Some of the ways that you can put yourself in situations where you can grow are to start hanginging around good solid Christians more often, and to maybe even get involved in a small-group bible study or prayer group.

God bless you!
- Topher

Q

Quan

YES I AGREE!

M

MrsKitty87

Plain and simple... you asked, "Where do I draw the line?" Answer: You don't... God has drawn the lines. To know where they are just read His instructional book. Its a bestseller :) lol but seriously, if you truly spend time meditating on the word and invite the Holy Spirit to grant you understanding and conviction, you will begin to understand the lines, and the Spirit will guide you to where you will stumble less often. A key thing to keep in mind is you'll want to allow God to shape and mold you into Christlikeness.

(these are the thoughts of the husband of the user of the profile of which this was post was posted from)

A

avdl

Plain and simple... you asked, "Where do I draw the line?" Answer: You don't... God has drawn the lines. To know where they are just read His instructional book. Its a bestseller :) lol but seriously, if you truly spend time meditating on the word and invite the Holy Spirit to grant you understanding and conviction, you will begin to understand the lines, and the Spirit will guide you to where you will stumble less often. A key thing to keep in mind is you'll want to allow God to shape and mold you into Christlikeness.

(these are the thoughts of the husband of the user of the profile of which this was post was posted from)
Agree. When you allow God in, he will point the changes you need to make and if you are willing He will help you make those changes.

God Bless and may you succeed!

T

Tinker

It's normal to feel like that. I was the same way you are. I just recently decided that it was time to put more faith in God. We all will slip up and make mistakes everyday.

A

asamanthinketh

What are the old ways......some things like addictions you might need help with, but if you are suffering mentally because yourself or someone else is trying to make you feel condemned or guility, then something that has helped me is repeating to myself that Jesus loves me. That judgement without mercy will be shown to anyone to has not been merciful.

But I hope you do't judge me, because sometimes when we are stressed, overburdened, in sin, or just living life, then we have a chance to get out of it, but many will look at you when you are trying to change and then depend on you to never slip up, and it may make you want to give up.

Ina

K

kate0558

I feel like the number one mistake christians make is feeling like they need to make a triple effort to never sin again. We are all human... we are going to sin. It's natural. The important thing to remember is God forgives. Don't worry so much about not doing whats wrong... instead just keep trusting him and you'll lose the desire to do whats not right.
Trust me... I used to get upset cus I'd think "thats not a christian thought" or "thats not a christian thing to do". You may even begin to resent him b/c you feel like you can't live a normal life with him. but what you need to remember is God doesn't care if you make a mistake... he just wants you to realize that you do make mistakes and ask for his forgiveness.