Where do you seek comfort other than with God?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

SamaireSaya

I pose this question as I am in desperate need of more comfort than what I have with God atm.

As some people know I made a mistake and gave into the temptation of sleeping with my boyfriend. We broke up and now don't talk. Today I found out in six weeks he moves countries and I don't know how to cope with it. I know its my fault we broke up (I dumped him because I felt he deserved better than me) but this is tearing me up. I spent the day at school crying because I dont know what to do. When he moves countries I may never ever see him again.

Where else can I find comfort?

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
So sorry about your breakup. If he moved to another country then it was probably best for both of you.

I know from when I was depressed for a long time that what made me happy was thinking about some of the little things that made me happy that I had forgotten about. Just simple little memories that make life seem like its worth something. It may be a time that you helped someone in need. It may be a favorite time you remember with your family or with friends. It may be when you tasted your favorite food or saw something you really liked - even just a pretty sunset or a cute little bird or maybe a pet that you loved, or a favorite song. Its really the little things that bring us back to joyful moments in life.

I also took up some old hobbies/interests that I had forgotten about like photography and playing my drums. Getting back to them is like rediscovering an old friend and it really helped me immerse myself in a happy little world whenever I needed to escape from the madness that was my life.

I hope this helps you some. God bless you and try not to be so sad. God wants us to be happy and enjoy all the wonderful gifts He has given us. :)

gabriel

B

BigFace

I don't know how this is going to sound, but I'm going to say it anyway.
If you find more comfort in anything in this world than you do in your relationship with God, you need to check your Faith.
No one, and absolutely nothing can provide you with more comfort than God. The only logical reason I can think that makes it seems that way, is because you're not letting him comfort you.
By saying you need more comfort than what you have with God because of what's going on, it makes it sound like your problem is bigger than what God can handle..which isn't true.
You want real comfort? Pray, and pray more, then pray again. Remember, we removed ourselves from the equation the second we chose to forsake everything and follow God with this burning passion that we all claim.

S

sportygirl

I don't know how this is going to sound, but I'm going to say it anyway.
If you find more comfort in anything in this world than you do in your relationship with God, you need to check your Faith.
No one, and absolutely nothing can provide you with more comfort than God. The only logical reason I can think that makes it seems that way, is because you're not letting him comfort you.
By saying you need more comfort than what you have with God because of what's going on, it makes it sound like your problem is bigger than what God can handle..which isn't true.
You want real comfort? Pray, and pray more, then pray again. Remember, we removed ourselves from the equation the second we chose to forsake everything and follow God with this burning passion that we all claim.
I agree with this, God has to be your main sourse of comfort. There are things you can do such as talk to friends, talk to people on here, and potentially eventalk to teh guy about it. I know I went through a rough break-up a few months ago, and the only comfort there was for me was that God was there and that his plan was greater than mine.

One of my favorite quotes is "Don't tell God how big your problems are, tell your problems how big your God is."

In general though just get out and do things, have fun. Life will go on and be great, it may not seem like it now but its 100% true! :)

Wonderland

May 6, 2010
Hello Samaire,

I am so sorry for your loss. Grief is difficult and painful, and everyone goes through it in a different way. You may feel that you need more comfort than God is giving you because your pain is so raw, but the truth is you need to feel it in order to get over it. In reality it is good that it hurts because if it didn't, and you stuffed your feelings deep inside, they would only make you angry and bitter. I know my words probably are not very helpful right now, but please be assured that what you are feeling is normal and good right now.

I know people say that God should be your only, but actually, research shows that people who have a strong support network of friends and family are usually happier and better able to handle life than people who don't have a support network. So do you have people you are close to in your life that you can talk to about this? If so, than use them! Sometimes it feels like it is easier to be alone with our pain, but it could be very helpful to be with friends and family who love you and who are patient listeners.

Finally, I know you want more than what God seems to be offering right now, but maybe that is because your view of God is too narrow. God can be anything you need him to be. I am not saying that we can MAKE God anything we want him to be... What I mean is that if we need discipline, He will discipline, if we need love He shows us love. If we need guidance He will be our counselor, etc. So what do you need right now? Fulfillment? Assurance? Company? Spend some time thinking about what it is, EXACTLY that you need and seek after God for that fulfillment.

Anyway, I am sorry for your loss.
Be blessed.

N

nanabean

I know from when I was depressed for a long time that what made me happy was thinking about some of the little things that made me happy that I had forgotten about. Just simple little memories that make life seem like its worth something. It may be a time that you helped someone in need. It may be a favorite time you remember with your family or with friends. It may be when you tasted your favorite food or saw something you really liked - even just a pretty sunset or a cute little bird or maybe a pet that you loved, or a favorite song. Its really the little things that bring us back to joyful moments in life.

I also took up some old hobbies/interests that I had forgotten about like photography and playing my drums. Getting back to them is like rediscovering an old friend and it really helped me immerse myself in a happy little world whenever I needed to escape from the madness that was my life.

gabriel

ohhhhhhhhhh oh myyyy.....Thank you for this. I know you didn't mean it for me, but, well, I guess I needed this tonight. (In a much different way/reason than the original poster...) I pray SamaireSaya finds as much goodness and advice in this as I did. God Bless you Zeroturbulence.

S

SamaireSaya

I relise now that I was kidding myself that God could not help this. At my lowest point I prayed and since then I have not shed a tear or felt hurt. I have rejoined my church's teenaged girls bible study which starts back up in two weeks so I can find my way back onto the right way. Thank you everyone for your advice.

God Bless,
Chelsey

J

jimmydiggs

One thing always comforts me.

Smile! Your mom chose life.

A

asamanthinketh

If you are feeling guilt, don't feel guilt, it may make things worse for you.