Where should I start reading?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 31, 2011
P.S. Remember, God's word NEVER contradicts itself. God has somehow kept His word through all these years. And of course He can because He is God. :) The more you learn the more you will see the Lord help you "rightly divide the Word of truth" like the Bible says. It is God's book left to us so we will learn the truth about Him, us, life and how to live it and think about it. You will also want what is called a Bible Concordance. That is a book that you can find verses in when you forget or want to look up a Bible verse. Happy and blessed joyfilled reading!! :)
"The bible never contradicts itself" so true let me repeat it. Sometimes it will seem so, like when it talks about law for instance. If it seems so, remember it is not the bible saying different things, it is in our understanding. So if something seems hard to understand, use the concordance to look up all God has to say about something. Sometimes you will even have to go into the history of the times a book was written in. It is called exegetical study. It helps us understand. For instance, it is good to know that in the town where Paul talks about the length of hair for men, it is helpful to know that in that town the men who did not want to listen to God were the ones who wore their hair long.

As a new Christian, starting in the word, these things are to think about in your future. You won't be using it now, you have an exciting wonderful adventure ahead just plain reading. But it is good to know about ways of serious bible study you have ahead.

N

Nancyer

Welcome to the wonderful world of living for God! So glad you are here. I'm not going to confuse you more with what book to read first, how much to read daily, etc. I knew virtually nothing about the Bible when I came to Christ 4 years ago. I began attending a Bible study at my church on Tuesday mornings & Thursday evenings, as much as my work schedule would allow it. This was a huge help. It really gave me a deep desire to read and study my Bible, which I try to do daily (I admit I don't manage this every day, but that is my goal). Have you found a church? See if they offer Bible study you can attend. That will give you some good guidelines and direction.

God bless your walk, enjoy the world your about to open up!

M

MidniteWelder

when reading the bible try and think of it like you're getting to know someone
You're getting to know God, your maker, as well as creator of heaven and earth
There are some who go into the bible looking for it to please them
I don't believe that would be the proper attitude to take toward Gods word

Try and go into it as if instead you are trying to please God, to allow him to guide and teach you.

There may be a lot of things he wants a person to catch up on real quick.

This may mean some jumping around here and there for awhile until the two of you get rather well aquainted.
That close relationship with him being established, knowing his likes and dislikes, what he expects, what he also offers and promises.
I've met some people who claimed to have read the bible from front to back 5 times over...and more.
A former employer being just one of such persons.
And we'd talk and Id think why are there then these verses and lessons that have seemingly gone unnoticed???
Almost as if certain people think it must be read from beginning to end in order when perhaps they've only gotten as far as the book of Esther when God wanted to speak to them that day from the book of Proverbs instead.

It's not an instruction manual on how to construct something such as a coffee table which needs to go in order.
It is Gods living word to us. There are verses which speak to us directly relating to ones life that day, in that moment.
And if one is to take it page by page in order they may be missing something God perhaps want to relate to them right then maybe in Matthew when they are still in Genesis.
Although I do agree if one is to start on a chapter or book to finish it to get the message in context to prevent any confusion.

Im not suggesting there's any wrong way or right way to read the bible, any reading is better than none.
Although take for instance...
-what part of your life do you wish to want to work on,
-what aspects of your creator do you wish to know?
-then Study those parts.

Lets say you have a car and the transmission is acting up, and you want direct advice from the manufacturer on how to repair the transmission. So you get a manual.
Well it would stand to reason to turn directly to the transmission section which could be 7 chapters into the book as opposed to looking at the carburetor section which has no relevance at that point in time.
Lets say you wish to bake a blueberry muffin surprise cake and get the betty crocker cook book
You wouldn't start at page 1 and and lead up to it at page 267 right?
There are those who may disagree with me here, and that's totalllly fine.
What I'm trying to suggest is this.
Pray about it to God
Tell him what you are dealing with that day or what you wish to know or want him to teach you and then...
ask him to guide you where to read.
Because he can and often will, much more often than if we tried to guide ourselves.

Often when one starts getting heavy into reading Gods word it is because of the need of guidance, and rightly so because we haven't been guided correctly otherwise, How can we be?
Christ is the best guide, which is why we make the best followers.
I personally like to read where God leads me to read, because then it is like Christ is speaking to me right now, as opposed to reading something he said to someone else many years ago.
God Bless :)

Psalm 32:8-9
I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go;
I will counsel you with my loving eye on you.
Do not be like the horse or the mule,
which have no understanding
but must be controlled by bit and bridle
or they will not come to you.

Last edited:
T

Tintin

The Gospel of John is a good starting point, then Romans. Then something like Genesis. The point is to read the whole Bible. But John is an excellent beginning for new Christians.

A

Ariel82

I had a few pastors say that the Gospel of John is a great place to start :)

[h=3]John 1[/h]New King James Version (NKJV)

[h=3]The Eternal Word[/h]1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. [SUP]2 [/SUP]He was in the beginning with God. [SUP]3 [/SUP]All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. [SUP]4 [/SUP]In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. [SUP]5 [/SUP]And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend[SUP][a][/SUP] it.
it shows a deeper meaning to Genesis

[h=3]Genesis 1[/h]New King James Version (NKJV)

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. [SUP]2 [/SUP]The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was[SUP][a][/SUP] on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.
[SUP]3 [/SUP]Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light. [SUP]4 [/SUP]And God saw the light, that it was good; and God divided the light from the darkness. [SUP]5 [/SUP]God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night. So the evening and the morning were the first day.

don't overwhelm yourself with too much.

its better to read a little a day and keep at it.

keep persevering then to try and tackle too much at once and burning out.

I have the Bible on audio, so I listen to it on my mp3 player in between doing other things.

which is why I tend to read/listen to a lot of scriptures.

When I first started studying. I would just read the Bible for a certain amount of time and write down in a journal Bible verses that had deeper meaning to me personally and keep them as words of encouragement throughout the day.

P

I am a new Christian and have recently start reading the bible. I tend to just skim about, but I want to start a routine and was wondering if anyone had suggestions of what book of the Bible I should start with. I want to read at least a chapter in the morning and a chapter before bed. Suggestions please and Thank you ^_^
Good Morning Ms. B
I think the fact that you ready and willing to seek God in/through his word is awsome. Start where ever you like!!.. but know this..

[SUP]1[/SUP]Hear, ye children, the instruction of a father, and attend to know understanding.
[SUP]2[/SUP]For I give you good doctrine, forsake ye not my law.
[SUP]3[/SUP]For I was my father's son, tender and only beloved in the sight of my mother.
[SUP]4[/SUP]He taught me also, and said unto me, Let thine heart retain my words: keep my commandments, and live.
[SUP]5[/SUP]Get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not; neither decline from the words of my mouth.
[SUP]6[/SUP]Forsake her not, and she shall preserve thee: love her, and she shall keep thee.
[SUP]7[/SUP]Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.

...people read the bible daily, and still have no understanding..!! we also know that 2 Coriinthians ch 3 reads that the letter(the word/bible) killeth, but the spirit maketh alive.!!..

in other words.. the spirit of God is the key to getting what he saying in his word..

When i started really reading my Bible... I started out in Proverbs.. Anywhere in Proverbs.. :) ,,

God Bless You , and remember that Matthew 24 reads, "Those who endure til the end, the same shall be saved!!

B

BettieB

Welcome to the wonderful world of living for God! So glad you are here. I'm not going to confuse you more with what book to read first, how much to read daily, etc. I knew virtually nothing about the Bible when I came to Christ 4 years ago. I began attending a Bible study at my church on Tuesday mornings & Thursday evenings, as much as my work schedule would allow it. This was a huge help. It really gave me a deep desire to read and study my Bible, which I try to do daily (I admit I don't manage this every day, but that is my goal). Have you found a church? See if they offer Bible study you can attend. That will give you some good guidelines and direction.

God bless your walk, enjoy the world your about to open up!
Yes! I have found a good church! I tried to xcommit suicide back in march but the day before is when I prayed to rededicate my life to Christ. The church is called Ruths Chapel and they have been very loving and helpful through the storm i am going through right now. They even have a couples night on Friday for married people to attend. I love going to the service I always feel as though the pastor is speaking directly to me, that God gave him just the right words that I needed to hear. It has brought me to tears on several occasions. Im going to try to be involved with the church as much as possible because I truly need a lot of fellowship at this point in my life, and above all, I need God.

Apr 4, 2013
I am a new Christian and have recently start reading the bible. I tend to just skim about, but I want to start a routine and was wondering if anyone had suggestions of what book of the Bible I should start with. I want to read at least a chapter in the morning and a chapter before bed. Suggestions please and Thank you ^_^
I would read the New testament if I were you . Starting with Matthew and read through Revelation. I would do this about 10 times and then start studying the Epistles. Romans through Jude

T

Tintin

Gert, the OP is a new Christian. You have a strange understanding of how one becomes a Christian.

oh i say read from page one and keep going all the way through:

• dont forget to question and explore all you learn
  • question everything only the false will fear questions
  • and if you make it to the other side and dont see any flaws then you will be a christian

Post, the 'Letter' refers to the Letter of the Law (God's Law) that brings death to all who sin (the wages of sin is death). The Letter isn't God's Word/the Bible. That wouldn't make any sense.

...people read the bible daily, and still have no understanding..!! we also know that 2 Coriinthians ch 3 reads that the letter(the word/bible) killeth, but the spirit maketh alive.!!..

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Ariel82

Gert is not Christian.

T

Tintin

Oh, thanks, Ariel.

Sinless, if that's the pattern you take when reading the Bible, how is it you get the basic understanding of sin and righteousness in Christ so wrong?

J

jinx

read Luke (talks about JESUS here on earth) Then read Acts (talks about HIS church)

Dec 19, 2009
If you have time, start at the beginning and read all the way through. Otherwise I might suggest you read Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John right away, since these books document the life and teachings of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior.

B

BishopSEH

Greetings BettieB,

As you can see, there are a lot of opinions on where to start. I have always maintained that a believer trying to go through the for the first time should begin in Matthew and go from there. Sometimes it helps to read the answer to better understand the question. The New Testament is the fulfillment or answer to the Old Testament prophecy or question. The first three books, Matthew, Mark and Luke are written to cover the same account from 3 different perspectives to 3 different audiences. John is written differently because it fills in some of the missing things from the first three namely the focus on Jesus' divinity.

While reading the bible in its current format is the bast way to learn the bible I have found that reading a chronological bible is the best way to enjoy the story aspect. It is near useless as a study guide but it does show the overlap of time and especially after the split of Israel into two kingdoms. For this type of bible start at the beginning and simply enjoy the tapestry that God has laid out for mankind.

Along with your reading I high recommend getting in a good interactive bible study. Some are static studies, that is the leader speaks and you listen and take notes. An interactive bible study has a lot more back and forth and allows for the sharing of experience and wisdom of the group instead of a single person.

As always, before reading again, take some time and pray and meditate on what you have previously read. Tp many believer make the error of not including God when reading His Word. They act as if reading the most complexly written yet most easily understood (for those that doing add to it) book is, in and of itself, enough. God wants to your read, study and love His message to us but He also wants to talk with you about it.

In Christ,

Bishop SEH

T

Tintin

Just a question: How is it that a chronological Bible is nearly useless for study?

J

jinx

well, I think that when it comes to a new christian that they would want to study JESUS while HE was on the earth, and then how HE built HIS church.