white man

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
V

VioletReigns

Did you read the comments underneath the video on YouTube? I don't think the song exhibited much if anything about the Savior to the lost people who posted. Although God is love and God is good, it's only because of the Redemption of Jesus Christ that we can even know God.

S

sigh33n

Did you read the comments underneath the video on YouTube? I don't think the song exhibited much if anything about the Savior to the lost people who posted. Although God is love and God is good, it's only because of the Redemption of Jesus Christ that we can even know God.
I understand where you're coming from but an unnecessary problem that arises regarding art among Christians tends to be their requirement for political correctness. No, Gungor didn't mention redemption or the fact that love doesn't equal eternal salvation but I don't think that was his point in creating the song. The fact that a majority decided to speak against it says more about them than the song and it shouldn't strip the artist/art of any credibility.

Now that being said; the song is musically very boring. The instrumentation and direction is okay but bland and lacking unique identity in the sea of indie alternative rock. It also comes off as gimmicky with the verses being a plain list of "God isn't ___" which grows tiring after the first few lines due to little variation in theme and detail. All in all, not one of his best tracks.

V

VioletReigns

I understand where you're coming from but an unnecessary problem that arises regarding art among Christians tends to be their requirement for political correctness. No, Gungor didn't mention redemption or the fact that love doesn't equal eternal salvation but I don't think that was his point in creating the song. The fact that a majority decided to speak against it says more about them than the song and it shouldn't strip the artist/art of any credibility.

Now that being said; the song is musically very boring. The instrumentation and direction is okay but bland and lacking unique identity in the sea of indie alternative rock. It also comes off as gimmicky with the verses being a plain list of "God isn't ___" which grows tiring after the first few lines due to little variation in theme and detail. All in all, not one of his best tracks.
Sigh33n, I totally agree with you that the song itself is lacking musically. For me it is unoriginal and redundant. But I wasn't coming against the artist himself. I was responding to the OP's comment about it being "powerful", which I assumed she meant in a spiritual aspect. I just don't think it has much vitality at all. Especially because it didn't glorify Jesus Christ.

S

sigh33n

Sigh33n, I totally agree with you that the song itself is lacking musically. For me it is unoriginal and redundant. But I wasn't coming against the artist himself. I was responding to the OP's comment about it being "powerful", which I assumed she meant in a spiritual aspect. I just don't think it has much vitality at all. Especially because it didn't glorify Jesus Christ.
Ahh forgive me then sister, my bad. Also, yes, the vitality of it being on my iPod is little to zero. Gungor's always been hit or miss for me (though his Beautiful Things album is great!) but I do find the antagonistic responses interesting. Who knew it would strike such a negative cord with the secular realm?

U

Ugly

I looked the lyrics up, because, well, lets face it, i know i won't like the music.
To me the lyrics were bland. It's on the same level as 'Jesus loves the little children, red, yellow, black and white'.
And it was a bit generic. While a few good points were made, none of them were original or inspiring or worded in a way that made it standout.
Anytime i hear an emphasis on 'God is love' it puts up red flags. Yes, He is, but He's many other things too and Christians often want to forget that God is more than love. The lyrics kind of reek of Osteen type mentality.

JFSurvivor

Jan 20, 2015
I like this song because sometimes as Christianswe forget that God does love all these people and that he isn't allinged with a particular political party. Yes God is many other things too but I don't think we should forget the message of this song. Make sense?

D

Difol

i closed it after 5 or so seconds.... heh

Feb 7, 2015
I like this song because sometimes as Christianswe forget that God does love all these people and that he isn't allinged with a particular political party. Yes God is many other things too but I don't think we should forget the message of this song. Make sense?
I think it said an awful lot that we seem to pride ourselves in NOT listening for anymore... in favor to finding something spectacular to shout about.

D

didymos

'God is not a white man?' Pfff...
God isn't even a man... He's God (duh)

V

VioletReigns

I think it said an awful lot that we seem to pride ourselves in NOT listening for anymore... in favor to finding something spectacular to shout about.
Huh? You lost me, Willie. What does that even mean? :confused:

U

Ugly

But i see it as this is a message we always hear. How can we forget it when it's all most preachers want to preach and what most mainstream Christian music sings about? If anything it's not a new reminder, but yet another in a barrage of happy, sappy God loves us blather. I think the message is overkilled while other important aspects of God are often ignored.
The problem, as i see it, is that people tend to group off according to which aspect of God they choose to focus on the most, rather than seeing God as a whole being. Some only want to see God as loving, others only want to see Him as a wrathful judge, etc... but without a doubt the whole 'loving God' is so overly emphasized i think the concept is being watered down by over use.
God is many things, and ALL aspects of God need to be acknowledged regularly, not just the ones that suit our outlook, or what we think will hold the most appeal to a secular audience.

U

Ugly

Well, as i stated in my above post, when the subject is so over done, it loses something. I'm not going to get excited and shout about the 1000th 'God is love' song because i've heard it all before, till it actually begins to lose meaning. And the message of this song is nothing new to me.

Often times i find when someone feels a song or verse or quote impacts them greatly they think everyone else will get the same out of it, but when such things come up it usually is not meant for everyone else, but for the person. It's fine to share it, but don't expect others will see in it what you do, as the message isn't meant for them at that moment.

JFSurvivor

Jan 20, 2015
I don't understand. The fact that God loves us is a HUGE deal. why NOT sing about it? The fact that God loved EVERYONE? not just CHRISTIANS is something that is a good anchor for me. I like to remember that because then it's like it lowers my awful pride and I can more easily love others because I know God loves them. This song is a powerful reminder of that for me.

U

Ugly

I've explained it in two posts already.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
Gungor "God is not a white Man": https://youtu.be/-WybvhRu9KU

hi! This is a really poweful song and I wanted to hear your thoughts on it.
I didn't listen to the song. I find the title highly offensive. The title supposes that people think God is a white man and by extension white men, or whites in genera,l think they are somehow better or special. It reminds me of the whole "black lives matter" mantra. That title takes for granted that some people think black lives don't matter. Both of these are offensive, and I reject divisions, especially amongst Christians. I love ALL my Christian brothers and sisters and refuse to painted into this type of racist or sexist trap.

S

sigh33n

I don't understand. The fact that God loves us is a HUGE deal. why NOT sing about it? The fact that God loved EVERYONE? not just CHRISTIANS is something that is a good anchor for me. I like to remember that because then it's like it lowers my awful pride and I can more easily love others because I know God loves them. This song is a powerful reminder of that for me.
Honestly, I could sing about God's love forever but that's not our complaint sister. Most of us just consider the song to be musically mediocre is all. Gungor is plenty capable to create music that is both creatively and theologically satisfying; this just happens to only satisfy the latter :p