Who assembled the 5,000?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
K

kenisyes

Anyhow, IN just the verses given above, in my opinion the issue is settled (I'm quite glad, didn't have the time to go through all the other querries). We can learn by the 70 going out, however they where not the crowd drawers, they may have brought some people no doubting that but the throngs of crowds where already following behing Jesus even before the 12 were chosen.
Yes, I guess we can just close the thread and go do something more important. I think Luke's point is that the 70 probably built some enthusiasm, and this probably enlarged the crowd to some extent. In Luke's gospel, we see Jesus sends the 12 after His return from Genesara, and the demoniac. Genesara was not part of Israel (hence the pigs), and so the 12 were letting people know Jesus was back. Then Herod took an interest, and that was probably the best PR of all. Luke 9:11 says the same as John 6:1, Jesus had been healing anyone who needed it.

So is that the conclusion: The 5000 assembled because of Jesus' established reputation, His on the spot miracles, assisted by the 12 having gone around, and Herod taking an interest?

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
Interesting thread. Jesus Himself attracted crowds, the 12 sent out attracted more attention, then the 70 attracted even more. And they didn't have to call the people to assemble, the people followed and assembled on their own. Kinda says that if you walk the walk, God will bring people to you for witnessing and ministry, does it not?

iamsoandso

Oct 6, 2011
we should also bear in mind that john the baptist was sent before him to announce him. also from many of their statements "we have found him",so they were seeking the Messiah because john told them to look for him. john the baptist ask the question directly "are you who we seek are should we look for another",,,i suppose i should look up every scripture i am quoting,i will if needed but in the old test. it is stated he would send Elijah before him to prepare his way(john). john preaching had told them "one cometh after me,,ect." so they all new to look for him.

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
Yes that's true. Word of mouth was obviously making Jesus well known and sought after. But if you wanted to get 5,000 people together today, you'd have to start working it out maybe a year in advance. Back then they may have known He was coming, but they didn't know when. And what we have is a case of people who didn't need invitations or scheduling or any of that; when someone finally said 'hey He's over here', we have a case of people who dropped what they were doing and responded immediately. Gee that sounds like a familiar pattern.

Bookends

Aug 28, 2012
Mark 1:28, "And immediately His fame spread throughout all the region around Galilee."

K

kenisyes

if you wanted to get 5,000 people together today, you'd have to start working it out maybe a year in advance.
The dates in John prove it was at least 3 months after He started His ministry, maybe 6 or 9, depending whose commentary you read. And this was maybe a year or more after John started witnessing to Him, and John's ministry was quite popular in its own right.

The Greek word in Mark 1:28 is translated "forthwith" in 1:29. It does not carry the connotation of immediately with respect to time, but of causation. ( eu-theus; good establishment) The spread of His fame was certainly quick, but not a matter of a day or two.

Anybody remember how long it took for President Obama to go from being an unknown to being, well, you know...? I'm thinking maybe 4-5 months, but I have forgotten.

iamsoandso

Oct 6, 2011
Malachi 4;5,,,and mark 9;11-13 are the scriptures i was referring to in post 23. here also they ask Christ "why say the scribes that Elias must first come",,so again even before john the baptist came they were being told to look for first Elias,,then the Messiah. in Malachi 3;1 he(john the baptist) is referred to as "my messenger",,,now mark Luke john Matthew ect. do speak of the same events,but at the time the 5000 assembled they had not yet been written so the 5000 and the others even the disciples of john the baptist,the scribes ect. were working with the books current at that time so,,Isaiah,Malachi,2nd chronicles,1&2nd kings ect.

in 1 Chronicles 12;32 "the children of Issachar,which were men that had understanding of the times,to know what Israel ought to do",,but then we compare it to Matthew 16;3 where Christ states "but you cant discern the signs of the times",,,

so as already stated in john 6;26,,"ye seek me not because you saw the miracles,but because you did eat the loaves,and were filled",,,,,so there are "two groups" that assembled there among the 5000,,,one because they discerned the times and the other because they ate and were filled,,so two reasons why they assembled.

it begins though in 2nd kings 2;9,,,"a double portion of thy sprit be apon me",,,the birthright,,the first born son of god,first john then the Messiah.,,,,

i did not have time to look up these scriptures in my other post(you all seemed to recognize them),,but i thought to add them for those who did not,,,,,