Who baptized John the Baptist?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jul 27, 2011
As a matter of fact, there is no record of Johns being baptized at all. John was divinely appointed forerunner of Christ. Malachi 3:1; 4:5-6; His baptism was from God. There is no reason to believe that the divinely prophesied and appointed forerunner needed to receive the baptism that he was sent to administer.

I was sprinkled as a baby myself, and would like to be submerged today, but unless someone like John comes along i'll pass, and i don't think God will chastise me for it, since God see's my heart and knows me personally.

Sep 16, 2014
It was not necessary for John or for you. God gave John the sign to watch for while baptizing people unto (toward) repentance, and preaching to believe on the soon to be revealed Christ. Jesus submitted to that baptism in water not for any of those reasons for His spiritual improvement, but to complete John's prime mission. See the "Did John Go To Heaven" thread.

The baptism that saves is the one that marks our own (past tense) death, burial, and resurrection with Christ. It is the baptism Jesus had for John, and all other disciples of Christ.
Matthew 3:11 (KJV)
[SUP]11 [/SUP] I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

Water baptism was practiced by John for this purpose: John 1:31 (KJV)
[SUP]31 [/SUP] And I knew him not: but that he should be made manifest to Israel, therefore am I come baptizing with water.

Now that it came to pass, why must new believers already repented, believing, be required to be water baptized as a condition of salvation? It is clear to me Jesus' baptism superseded that of John, being the essential baptism with the Holy Spirit, and with fire. The "fire" is the cleansing as though by burning up evil works, but was manifested at Pentecost with tongues of fire over the heads of the 120.

Atwood

May 1, 2014
Who baptized the person who baptized the person who baptized John the Baptist?

Jon4TheCross

Oct 19, 2012
Remember that John had the holy spirit in the womb.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
As a matter of fact, there is no record of Johns being baptized at all. John was divinely appointed forerunner of Christ. Malachi 3:1; 4:5-6; His baptism was from God. There is no reason to believe that the divinely prophesied and appointed forerunner needed to receive the baptism that he was sent to administer.

I was sprinkled as a baby myself, and would like to be submerged today, but unless someone like John comes along i'll pass, and i don't think God will chastise me for it, since God see's my heart and knows me personally.
All well and good............B-U-T.............Jesus did command that we be baptized.........and that baptism is ONLY worthwhile IF our hearts are already right with Him.............just saying....... :)