Who is the God of the Old Testament? Part 2

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
E

Eccl12and13

More Proof of Jesus being the God of the Old Testament

Now I’m not sure how many scriptures it will take to convince you that the person we’ve come to know as Jesus Christ is the God of the Old Testament, but here are a few more verses to help you understand.

Let’s go back to the (OT) and start in Exodus. Here the Lord has just led the children of Israel out of Egypt and was leading them into the wilderness.

Ex 13
21. And the Lord went before them by day in a pillar of a cloud, to lead them the way; and by night a pillar of fire, to give them light; to go by day and night:
22. He took not away the pillar of the cloud by day nor the pillar of fire by night, from before the people.

Now let’s go to the (NT) and find what Paul had to say about the journey that their fathers took out of the land of Egypt. Let’s start in I Corinthians.

Cor 10
1. Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea;
2. And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea.
3. And did all eat the same spiritual meat; And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

So what the Apostle Paul is saying here is that the same God that followed the children of Israel around in a pillar of a cloud by day and a pillar of fire at night was Christ.

Let’s search some more.

Let’s go back to Exodus (OT) and examine a conversation Moses was having with God.
Here Moses is asking that the Lord take his name out of the Book of Life.

Ex 32
31. And Moses returned unto the Lord, and said, Oh, this people Have sinned a great sin, and have made them gods of gold.
32. Yet now, if thou wilt forgive their sin-; and if not, blot me, I pray thee, out of thy book which thou has written.
33. And the Lord said unto Moses, Whosoever hath sinned against me, him will
I blot out of my book.

Now let’s go to the (NT) in the book of Revelation and see who will be responsible for blotting names out of the Book of Life.

Rev 3:5. He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white rainment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name
before my Father, and before his angels.

Here we find the One Moses spoke with in the Old Testament, asking to blot his name out of the book of life, is the same One who will be blotting out names on judgment day. And who will be responsible for blotting out names? Jesus Christ!

Let’s find more proof about our Lord, Jesus Christ, as the God of the Old Testament.

In this next passage, Abraham is asking the Lord to spare the city of Sodom.

Gen 18
24. Peradventure there be fifty righteous within the city: wilt thou also destroy and not spare the place for the fifty righteous that are therein?
25. That be far from thee to do after this manner, to slay the righteous with the wicked, that be far from thee: Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?

Now let’s find out who it is that will judge the world and who gave him that authority. Let us go to St. John (NT) and read what Jesus has to say on the matter.

St. John 5
22. For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son;
26. For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given unto the Son to have life in himself. And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man.

Did you read who will judge man? It will be Jesus Christ. And it will be God the Father who gives Him the authority to execute judgment. Now here is a question for you; WHY is it that it will be the Son and NOT the Father that will judge man? Because the Father does not know how hard it is to resist temptation. The Father was never a flesh and blood man. ONLY Jesus became flesh and blood man. ONLY Jesus was tempted in ALL points. ONLY Jesus knows what man goes through. So it will ONLY be Jesus that will be a fair judge.

So it appears that both Moses and Abraham knew who it was they were speaking with. In fact, Jesus goes on to say;

St. John 8
56. “ Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad.
57. “……….. Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?
58. Jesus said to them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

Conclusion

Now we know that God is God and with Him nothing is impossible….almost. (I’ll explain that in a moment) He can be or do anything….again…almost. With that being said, regardless of what we may want to believe, we must go with sound doctrine found in the holy scriptures…we have no choice;

“All scriptures is given by the inspiration of God, and is profitable for DOCTRINE, for REPROOF, for CORRECTION, for instruction in righteousness:”, II Tim 3:16.

Let’s rightly divide the word of God , pray for understanding and just THINK about a few more things with the knowledge we have just found in the scriptures.

Is it possible for God the Father to be both the person praying and the one being prayed to on the night of Jesus’ death? Matt.26:39-44

Could God the Father be the person on BOTH the left and right side of himself waiting for His enemies to become His footstool? Psm.110:1

How can God NOT know when He shall return? Mark 13:32

Some may try to answer these questions with, “God is God and He can do anything.”, which is true…..like I said above….almost; God can do anything……but HE CAN NOT LIE!!!! And that is why, even the thought, of entertaining such questions like the ones above is irrelevant……because GOD CAN NOT LIE!!!!!! And the scriptures are the words of God.

When Jesus was praying the night before His death, and asking (3) times that this cup be passed from Him, He was not praying to Himself, He was praying to God the Father.

When God the Father said Jesus would sit on His right side until He made His enemies His footstool, the scriptures did not lie….Jesus is, at this very moment, at the right hand of God the Father.

When Jesus said He did not know the day nor the hour of His return and that ONLY God the Father knows what time it will happen, then ONLY God the Father KNOWS!

SO…..when Jesus said NO ONE has seen or heard God the Father at anytime, we must take Him for His word, not one person has ever seen or heard God the Father at anytime…..EVER!!!! And how is this possible…..? Well…we just proved it in this lesson. Jesus was and is the ONLY God man has ever interacted with.

Before I end this I have one other place for you to read. This is a, “Just in case you need more proof.”, as far as Jesus Christ being the God of the Old Testament.

In the book of Zechariah, chapter 12, we have God himself, speaking through the mouth of the prophet Zechariah, about a future event. Now remember, the book of Zechariah is in the OLD TESTAMENT, so that would mean the person speaking through Zachariah is the God of the OLD TESTAMNET. Let’s see how He describes events, concerning Himself, that will take place in the future:

Zech 12
10: And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and supplications: and they shall look upon ME whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his first born.

So here we have the God of the Old Testament, talking about being pierced in the future, being mourned over, “….as one mourneth for his only son…”. Now I ask you, who was it that was pierced and was mourned for as an only son and the first born? Yes….that person was Jesus Christ. And He is the same person that made this statement in the book of Zechariah. Jesus Christ……The God of the Old Testament!!!!!

There are so many other examples throughout the Bible that reveal this truth, but my time and space is limited. If nothing else I hope this has motivated you to at least question the things I've presented and search for the truth.

I hope that after reading your Bible and searching the scriptures for the truth, you too will understand and know that Jesus Christ is truly “The God of the Old Testament.”