Why are near death experiences so readily dismissed?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I reckon I increasingly believe that. The way fear and punishment has been
used to attempt to make people turn to God is so counter-productive.

Proverbs 9:10 plus Matthew 10:28
:)

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I have heard it taught when a person is trained to take out a sentry, it is essential to not look at the sentry, his spirit will pickup your spirit and he will turn.
best wishes:)
All I know about that is in video games and sentries in video games stand nice and still while I line up my headshot.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Used to, won't anymore, puts bad images in the mind.
I think that is the root of the mindlessness of many youth, opens the door to a spirit of confusion.
Target shooting however is more like pool, darts, etc. when we are focused like that we don't think of the job, taxes, mortgage, etc. and now, since the 7th, the soon end :)
blessings

MaryM

Nov 25, 2022
I recommend anyone curious about this phenomenon read Dinesh D'Souza's book Life after Death. Even noted atheist Christopher Hitchens noted the strength of D'Souza's arguments. Well worth the effort!
Noted.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Raymond Moody did a lot of work in this as well.
Anyone who works in hospice will have experiences as well.
The veil is getting thinner.
blessings

Oct 16, 2023
I been thinking lately that all sickness is demonic spirits, just looking around, ya know? People put these labels on themselves and speak into existence their own problems, we put on our own chains. Think there’s a lot to be said for speaking life and hands on prayers/hugs.

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019
I been thinking lately that all sickness is demonic spirits, just looking around, ya know? People put these labels on themselves and speak into existence their own problems, we put on our own chains. Think there’s a lot to be said for speaking life and hands on prayers/hugs.
Lots of sickness is parasites.They're not quite spirits, but do look demonic.

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
I agree because the Holy Spirit can overcome anything add in the Blood of the Lamb and anything not of God must go. Jesus said 'Your faith has made you whole' meaning it dispels sickness, if we don't doubt, that is.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
wasnt there a book called Heaven is for Real that was super popular once. It was made into a movie.
I dont think they are dismissed so readily, its just many people dont like to talk about leaving earth esp with others who are comfortable and having a good time.

Its youth, particular teenagers who often are curious about it because they are anxious about making a living in the here and now, if the future looks bleak, many give up and come to believe they are better off dead. Hence high suicide rates, esp on some countries like NZ that are small and dont have huge economic resources or reserves of bigger ones. Its a real problem.

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019
wasnt there a book called Heaven is for Real that was super popular once. It was made into a movie.
I dont think they are dismissed so readily, its just many people dont like to talk about leaving earth esp with others who are comfortable and having a good time.

Its youth, particular teenagers who often are curious about it because they are anxious about making a living in the here and now, if the future looks bleak, many give up and come to believe they are better off dead. Hence high suicide rates, esp on some countries like NZ that are small and dont have huge economic resources or reserves of bigger ones. Its a real problem.
The descriptions claimed were suspect to me. I guess that seems to be a common them with Near Death Experiences - they don't add up 100% to what scripture describes. So I wonder if they aren't some kind of deception themselves.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
That happens if we lean on our own understanding and do not become mature in faith and take everything to the lord for His wisdom, He gives freely, if we have not, it is because we have asked not.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
The more and quicker I take things to Him, the stronger the connection, no wonder Jesus said He only did what He saw the Father do, He only said what He heard the Father say.
Blessings

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Great to hear! Thank you and blessings to you and yours:)(y)

Dec 24, 2022
UK
I'm reading 'Near death in the ICU' by doctor Laurin Bellg. She makes a point of not dismissing anyone's account.

Why do so many people scoff at these kinds of stories or dismiss them? Often because they don't fit their religious views. There is so much we just don't know, is it not best to keep can open mind.

I think someone critically ill has no more illusions and sees life and death for what it is. The soul is only in this body temporarily. This life is nothing but a moment. What each person's relationship with God or not is their own business. We are each on our own, whoever we think we are or however important we think our role is while we live. Billionaires or pauper, we face eternity alone.

I choose to believe God is real. This comforts me.

I'm glad you find comfort in these stories, and that God is real.:)

I pretty much choose to stay on the fence though. I'm unsure about what NDE's are...

Still, I strongly believe in God.

If an angel met me at the pearly gates, and he said.."just kidding, back you go" how could I say for sure I nearly died? All I know about death is that I sometimes feel dead but today I feel vibrantly alive. Or that other peoples spacesuits don't seem to move anymore after a short while and disintegrate.. I'm not saying that people don't experience these unusual NDE's events. They do. Especially as I have read about people who could see things in the hospital rooms when proclaimed flatlined by the medics. That is interesting.

I have had experiences of my own that helped me see there is more to life than what goes on just in this dimension. Dreams seem real to me.

Thanks for sharing, and God bless you for sharing this interesting topic @MaryM .