why cant a non beleiver be a good role model for a beleiver?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
R

reuben87

pls give me some answers

Aug 19, 2011
I see no reason why not, but Christians don't like people who don't have faith because probably it's been drilled into their heads (brainwashed) that nonbelievers are bad or misguided people.

S

shiner500

How would you know what is good and bad?what standard are you going by?

R

rainacorn

Anyone can be a positive example to anyone.

There are many really interesting stories out there of people being lead to Christ in unexpected ways. Like someone who said LOVING Ayn Rand taught him how to think critically and objectively, which prepared him to understand the truth of the Bible. Or others who say the world of science fiction opened up their minds to possibilities far beyond what we can see and touch in the here and now.

Nonbelievers ARE misguided, however God can use anyone and anything to lead someone to His Truth. Once a nonbeliever has lead us there, we can turn around and do the same for them.

J

jimmydiggs

Depends on how specific we want to get, but since this is a general question, I will give a general response.

The one thing that seperates the two that is most important, is enough to cause the unbeliever to not be a proper role model for the believer. That is, faith in Christ.

P

ParaZep

Well in my experience the main difference is that I can't connect with non-believers on the same level as I can with Christians. The simple reason being that non-believers simply don't understand why I, for instance, wouldnt have sex before marriage, or why I pray to someone I cannot see. There is no real reason why a non-believer can't be a good example, they just can't help you progress spiritually.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.763148,-7.841319

C

cryztal

get me the **** outta here!

W

Warrior44

I would say that non-believers can be role models. Just not in matters concerning faith. For example if your training to become a professional golfer you watch the strokes of more experienced golfers. You imitate their game but not their unbelieving-ness.

Feb 9, 2011
Non believers can be great role models. Take Marilyn Manson for example. No one has helped me to appreciate great art and love life more than he. I have met him several times, and I always make sure to thank him for truely enriching me as a person and helping me gain perspective and knowledge through his lyrics and message. I have enjoyed a higher level of intellect since being exposed to Marilyn Manson. I think he is a wonderful man and role model. Grossly misunderstood, but that can be expected. All the great geniuses are misunderstood.

Dec 25, 2009
A non-believer can be a good role model for a believer. Just not in the subject of faith and the religion. A believer could see someone as a role model for their career or for scientific understanding without the role model being a believer.

Y

yaright

Well in my experience the main difference is that I can't connect with non-believers on the same level as I can with Christians. The simple reason being that non-believers simply don't understand why I, for instance, wouldnt have sex before marriage, or why I pray to someone I cannot see. There is no real reason why a non-believer can't be a good example, they just can't help you progress spiritually.

---
I am here: Google Maps

Of the answers given, your understanding here has a solid foundation. We are to love our neighbors, and to find good were good can be found.

There is an Old Testament law which states that God's people are not to partake of a creature whose life remains in him or her. When we hear the expression, "The old man is dead" or "I crucify my flesh (nature) daily" speaks of the nature of a man which has been slain by the Word of God. This is what was shown to Peter in a vision where unclean creatures were lowered and then taken back up; at the same time there were people sent to Peter who also were considered unclean to Peter according to law. And Peter noted this law when he said they were unclean (creatures). But our Lord said that what He has made clean, no man shall call unclean; And the He said, "Rise, Peter, kill and eat." In other words, we cannot become food for God's people until our nature is slain by the Word of God.

A good role model is someone whose traits we follow after. In the sense that we are to find good, is to work good into the day. Jesus said that a person knows how to give good gifts; but He also indicates that the same time, how much greater the gift of eternal life!

In as much as a non believer knows how to do good in a worldly sense, our own lives should also portray to that person; there is a better way to consider the things he or she does. We know a person is going in the wrong direction if he believes he is justified in the things he does in the presence of his friends and neighbors, and has no need to repent of his sins. This is where we need to exercise caution because of the difference between what seems right to a man, and the obedience of God's people.

B

Bobbyking

The fundamental difference between a believer and a non-believer is that the believer has chose to accept Jesus Christ as Lord & Savior of his life and allowed the Holy Spirit into his life.

A non-believer can be a good role model for a believer, except that the believer may not follow totally because he/she wants to live a spirit-led life which includes praying for the needy, avoiding things which the Bible is against and most important, sharing his/her faith to the unbelievers. And these traits may not be part of the good role model demonstrated by a non-believer.

That said, I have many good unbelieving friends around me...:)

Last edited:

G4JC

Feb 9, 2011
The biggest thing is his/her morals and world-view will be different from that of the believer. There are some "good" non-believers, but it doesn't exclude the fact they do not know God and may drink or smoke only on special occasions (which is still a bad role model) or not at all. I think it is ok to be acquaintances with the non-believer but certainly not marry them or become close friends. It would however, be nice to try and reach out and show these people that they are missing out by giving them a role model, and hopefully bring them to Christ.
2Co 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
Rather we are to be an example...
Mat 5:13 Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.
Mat 5:14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
Mat 5:15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
Mat 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
So it should be inverted... why can't we be role-models to non-believers? :)