Why did Jesus not take a wife?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

MANTRYING

Please save the judgments and I do not mean to offend anyone.

Any one who was ever married knows how much Joy and Trouble a marriage can bring a person. A human being can spend over 75% of their lives as married couple (marry at 20 and die at 80). Marriage is a KEY COMPONENT of the human experience. I wonder why it was Jesus did not experience this? Some say he did based of some obscure writing but I do not know. I know this is anonymous but please keep it in due bounds.

M

MANTRYING

sorry folks this was already discussed newb.

santuzza

Feb 12, 2013
Scripture doesn't tell us. But perhaps it was because He knew He was going to die and didn't want to leave a widow or orphans.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Jesus had a very specific purpose in His coming to earth. Judaism taught marriage so that there would be a Messiah. Messiah was to be a first born son. Every Jewish family hoped that they might be so honored.
Now if Jesus had married and had offspring they would have been worshipped instead of God. Same reason the God buried the body of Moses. Just look to the modern catholic church and witness how men corrupt in their hearts venerate the decaying bodies of those they deem especially holy. Something like seven separate churches in Europe claim to have the skull of Peter. When they built a new catholic church in our area they placed the bones of a saint in the church altar.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Yeshua has a Bride.

May 15, 2013

Any one who was ever married knows how much Joy and Trouble a marriage can bring a person. A human being can spend over 75% of their lives as married couple (marry at 20 and die at 80). Marriage is a KEY COMPONENT of the human experience. I wonder why it was Jesus did not experience this? Some say he did based of some obscure writing but I do not know. I know this is anonymous but please keep it in due bounds.
Jesus came to do one thing only, eventhough that there isn't nothing wrong with marriage, but His focus was to save all those that He has married. Marriage causes you to lose focus on spiritual reality and start focusing on pleasing the flesh.

Matthew 19:10

The disciples said to him, “If this is the situation between a husband and wife, it is better not to marry.”

Matthew 22:30

At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven.

1 Corinthians 7:28

But if you do marry, you have not sinned; and if a virgin marries, she has not sinned. But those who marry will face many troubles in this life, and I want to spare you this.

Matthew 19:12

For there are eunuchs who were born that way, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by others—and there are those who choose to live like eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it.”

R

RachelBibleStudent

jesus will marry his bride when he comes back!

A

AgeofKnowledge

Jesus didn't marry because he was already engaged to the church. The marriage feast isn't too far off now.

R

RachelBibleStudent

also i should add that the main part of jesus' work on earth was paying the 'bride price' with his blood...

A

AgeofKnowledge

also i should add that the main part of jesus' work on earth was paying the 'bride price' with his blood...
True. The physical earthly ministry of Jesus was fast paced and short lived ending by way of execution on a tree outside of Jerusalem.

R

richie_2uk

I guess It wasn't Jesus's desired heart to marry anyone on earth while he was here for a pretty short time. the question is? Did he needed to?

Oct 6, 2012
Darn lol
JaumeJ, RachelBibleStudent and Age of Knowledge beat me to it!

So, I guess I will have to come up with a different answer...

Okay, because He was sensible!

Ever read the story of how women came about?

After Adam was created, he was alone in the Garden of Eden. Of course it wasn’t good for him to be all by himself, so the Lord said. “Adam, I have a plan to make you much, much happier. I’m going to give you a companion, a helpmate for you, someone who will fulfill your every need and desire. Someone who will be faithful, loving, and obedient, she will cook, clean and see to your every need. She will make you feel wonderful everyday of your life.”
Adam was happy. “That great, what will she cost!”
“An arm and a leg” replied the Lord.
“That’s a pretty high price,” said Adam. “What can I get for a rib?”

The rest is history...

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Would you, if you knew all things? (hehe)

Would you marry your fiance if you found out she knew all things?

YIKES!!!

RoboOp

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 4, 2008
1. It would not have been appropriate for any woman to have had sexual relations "with the Lord". (I actually don't even feel very comfortable typing that!)

2. Jesus was tempted in every way as we are, the Bible says, but unlike us, he had perfect self-control. So the main reason for marrying given in 1 Cor 7 doesn't apply to him. He had "the gift of celibacy" and every gift. :D

3. Jesus was conceived of the Holy Spirit, and sinless. There shouldn't be any human offspring from God incarnate. If there were, maybe there would be more than one sinless person? Or in any case they would be worshipped. God already has enough problem with people worshipping the one from whose womb the Lord came, how much more could that be a problem with the ones from his actual seed. (And here again I'm not even very comfortable typing that!)

S

SHINY707

The first man Adam received His wife Eve, When God took one of his ribs ,
Genesis 2:22-24
[TABLE="width: 95%"]
[TR]
[TD]2:22[/TD]
[TD]And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2:23[/TD]
[TD]And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2:24[/TD]
[TD]Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

Lord Jesus Christ is different, He is the last Adam:1 Corinthians 15: 45-47.

15:45 So it is written: "The first man Adam became a living being"; the last Adam, a life-giving spirit.
15:46 The spiritual did not come first, but the natural, and after that the spiritual.
15:47 The first man was of the dust of the earth; the second man is of heaven.

The last Adam's wife is the Church

Revelation 19:7-9 - Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready.

Ephesians 5:25-27 - Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

Revelation 21:2
- And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

John 3:29 - He that hath the bride is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom's voice: this my joy therefore is fulfilled.

Revelation 21:9 - And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb's wife.

2 Corinthians 11:2 - For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present [you as] a chaste virgin to Christ.
[TABLE="width: 95%"]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

B

bleekerT

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. - Ephesians 5:25-28, NIV

The righteous lead blameless lives; ... - Proverbs 20:7, NIV

... The one who does what is right is righteous ... - 1Jn 3:7, NIV

... do what is right in His sight, give ear to His commandments (1Cor. 7:19/1Jn 2:3-4) and keep all His statutes (Acts 2:1/1Cor. 5:7-8) ... - Ex. 15:26, NKJV

D

Dalisa

Because Jesus came to the world to save us. He didn't came to "enjoy" himself and get married. Jesus had another purpose to come. He had mission.