Why did my Catholic school teach this?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
D

Danielle1234

In 6th grade my social studies teacher tought us about Greek Gods and made us pick a God and draw them, etc. If Christiand aren't supposed to believe in more than one God, how come my Catholic school tought that? Was my school intending for us to believes hat the Greek thought and wrote about was real?

U

Ugly

Firstly Catholics aren't Christians.

Second, Greek mythology has a lot to do with modern culture. As well as Roman mythology. Days of the week, psychological terms and such things stem from these histories. I doubt they were teaching belief so much as history.

J

JustAnotherUser

It's called Greek Mythology... Myth meaning that it was just stories told but they never took place.

I can't say much as to why they taught it or why they should not, but just take it as a pointless lesson they have to *teach throughout the course and then you're done from ever having interest in it again. I know when I was taught this (I went to a public school) all I wanted to do was snore throughout the class... Highly suggest not to do so if you want to pass, however.

And this is the result of bad listening/bad education when you use "learn" instead of "teach"...

May 31, 2014
In 6th grade my social studies teacher tought us about Greek Gods and made us pick a God and draw them, etc. If Christiand aren't supposed to believe in more than one God, how come my Catholic school tought that? Was my school intending for us to believes hat the Greek thought and wrote about was real?
RCCism is polytheistic. BTW what grade are you in now 4th? Your writing to me does not appear to be anywhere near 6th grade level.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2012
First, we are Christians. Second, teaching the Greek gods is the basis of teaching drama, and the history of the beginning of western civilization.

May 9, 2012
Wow..her writing level is a lot better than a 4th grader. Everyone writes differently. My grandparents are older than you and their language is cruddy. Writing level ain't got nothing to do with age..ANYWAYS. It's just Greek Mythology/history. I like reading about some of the Greek gods/goddesses. Consider them like stories.

A

Anna20fAustralia

btw, I think that days of the week were Norse (like Norway, Findland, Sweeden). Saturday is Saturn's Day, Sunday is Sun's Day, Monday is Moon's Day, Thursday is Thor's Day etc. It is just realising that western civilisation has had a lot of influences. It is like the Bible. Written originally in Hebrew, Greek, Aramaic, etc. There are lots of influences.

K

kenthomas27

It's called Greek Mythology... Myth meaning that it was just stories told but they never took place.

I can't say much as to why they taught it or why they should not, but just take it as a pointless lesson they have to *teach throughout the course and then you're done from ever having interest in it again. I know when I was taught this (I went to a public school) all I wanted to do was snore throughout the class... Highly suggest not to do so if you want to pass, however.

And this is the result of bad listening/bad education when you use "learn" instead of "teach"...
I think it's because the WHOLE of western civilization is so heavily influenced by Greek and Roman antiquity. All Christian church is offspring of its eventual formation in Rome. Peter was considered the founding father of the Christian church and was so noted by the Roman Catholic Church. All Popes are considered the holy descendant of Peter. While the Greeks were polytheist with literally hundreds of gods, the Christian church was monotheist with the God of Israel in Rome - pretty much negating claims made to the contrary by cxjonz. You should read how the RCC split off from the "orientalism" of Christian faith with cultism and all sorts of other middle eastern beliefs and resulted in the Great Schism between Eastern orthodoxy (or where Protestant Church originated) and the RCC or the Latin Rite. History follows its way through Puritanism and Evangelism and the great awakenings and so on and even changing today with church leaders claiming divine knowledge as to when the "rapture" will take place, spiritualism, and cults of all sorts - even those who dismiss Christian brothers and sisters as heathen because they don't fly their particular flag. My brother in Christ Carter Conlon describes these as "The Angry Watchman".

In my own case, I'm Catholic and have come to realize I have no home here and I need to respect that and the feelings of others. I would only ask, Danielle1234 that you trust in your faith enough to delve into history. It will help you understand your own heritage and possibly even alter your own Christians travels in search of truth. Please see Carter Conlon's video of The Angry Watchman series of 5 in all and God bless.

[video=youtube;UuAfKBLTz2M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuAfKBLTz2M&list=PL8BE8E37FDA918CB7[/video]

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
There isn't anything wrong with mythology. I've taken whole college courses on it. The days of the week are named after various objects of worship, the planets are all named after roman gods except for our own and Uranus which is named after a greek god. There also isn't anything wrong with learning about other cultures and their beliefs.

D

didymos

No, that was only a game... :rolleyes: