Why do people believe in Science when the bible is the truth?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
May 24, 2013
what you are doing is trusting man. Like I said above it is a curse to trust in man(Jeremiah 17:5)
what matters is trusting the bible.
You obviously misunderstand me.. I believe in God. I believe in His Scripture.

I will give the center verse of the entire Bible as my answer: Psalm 118:8

The shortest chaper in the Bible is Psalm 117:

The longest chapter in the Bible is Psalm 119:

It is preceded by 594 chapters, and it is followed by 594 chapters

If you add the 2 together,, you get 1188.

Psalm 118:8 is the center verse of the Bible, and it reads:

"It is better to trust in God than to put confidence in man."

Last edited:

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
a sphere is a circle pretty much in a 3d sense. Just because satalitie imagery says the earth looks like a sphere, dosent mean it can be called a circle. We don't know where heaven is it could be so far away that it looks like a circle to god? The earth is also god's footstool
That makes no sense

Oct 31, 2011
Science revises its findings because it is not dogmatic nor is it ignorant or dishones if contradictory evidence presents itself. Evolution is part of Biology, of course it is science, entire courses are dedicated to the theory. Evolutionary biology itself is an entire course and profession, to claim it is 'not science' is just absurd, you mean to say it contradicts biblical narrative therefore you dismiss it as wrong. Science proves evolution through predictions experiments and observations.
Yes, Danny, if science says one thing and scripture says another and I understand them both correctly then I know scripture is truth. God created what science is working on, the one who created it knows better than the mechanic trying to make head and tail of the creation.

There are some things to take into consideration when we use bible to explain the physical. The bible is written to explain the spiritual, not the physical, but because the physical is usually a reflection on the spiritual it uses it as illustrations. If we use the bible as a text book on science, it can lead us wrong. It wasn't given to us for that purpose. For instance about the creation of the world. Some things it says about the physical could be symbolic, and it could be we read the physical explanations wrong. God wants us to know and plainly says He created it, and outside of using a week as explanation of some things, God didn't say that I did it in just this much of your time. God's time is eternal time, our time isn't. Some things God doesn't tell us straight out, some things we just don't need to know.

The bible is truth, and there are places in it we can get some better understanding of science, but God didn't give it to us as a textbook on the physical.

Jun 28, 2013
the point is why trust men in the first place? You are simple if you do and its a curse..

C

carey

I believe people look to science and logic as a means to not have to look to God, as a Christian, our walk is about faith, and believing in what we cannot see, it's scary to walk blindly, to trust in the unseen, so science gives people a way out, remember though, the cross is foolishness to those that are perishing, so pray for them, pray God will open their eyes to the truth

A

ABjerre

The bible shows that wind actually has weight,...

...“To establish a weight for the wind, And apportion the waters by measure.” – Job 28:25...

...The bible was the first to say that Wind has weight, then science 300 years ago Science proved it.
The usual interpitation of that verse is that God established the force of the wind, not the weight of athmospherical air (although for something to have any force, it cannot be weightless - 2nd law of Newton), but thats a side trail however...

I am personally a lot more interested in what makes you say that the bible is the truth? It is quite an important question that you didnt answer in your OP, as the entire discussion relies on the premise of the bible actually being true.

Actually, i would go as far as to say, that the bible is not true. This is not because of it being the foundation of a religion or the lack of proof of many of the things described in it - i'll keep that out of this, but merely because that any book containing +400 self-contradictions can not, in any way, be true.

In fact, any kind of book or work with that many critical errors in it would in any context be considered of very poor quality, and its reliability would be quite low.

I realize that the OP appears to be banned (at least is says that on his avatar), so everyone, feel free to answer why you belive the bible to be true.

May 24, 2013
The usual interpitation of that verse is that God established the force of the wind, not the weight of athmospherical air (although for something to have any force, it cannot be weightless - 2nd law of Newton), but thats a side trail however...

I am personally a lot more interested in what makes you say that the bible is the truth? It is quite an important question that you didnt answer in your OP, as the entire discussion relies on the premise of the bible actually being true.

Actually, i would go as far as to say, that the bible is not true. This is not because of it being the foundation of a religion or the lack of proof of many of the things described in it - i'll keep that out of this, but merely because that any book containing +400 self-contradictions can not, in any way, be true.

In fact, any kind of book or work with that many critical errors in it would in any context be considered of very poor quality, and its reliability would be quite low.

I realize that the OP appears to be banned (at least is says that on his avatar), so everyone, feel free to answer why you belive the bible to be true.
I haven't found 400 contradictions.. I have found some translational errors,, but no contradictions is doctrinal teachings.. So, I disagree with your premise..

The Bible makes the claim that it is the Instruction from God.... No other literary work makes that claim.

Harry potter books do not claim to be the truth from God,,,, that's my point,, the Bible does make that claim!

A

ABjerre

I haven't found 400 contradictions.. I have found some translational errors,, but no contradictions is doctrinal teachings.. So, I disagree with your premise..
But other people did. You probably have seen this already: A Visual Representation of Biblical Contradictions | Science-Based Life

The Bible makes the claim that it is the Instruction from God.... No other literary work makes that claim.

Harry potter books do not claim to be the truth from God,,,, that's my point,, the Bible does make that claim!
You will have to elaborate a bit on that, beacause the way i read it, you're saying that the bible claiming to be instructions from god validates it... Through the ages, many scriptures have claimed to be inspired by many gods - none of those are to my knowledge considered true.

May 24, 2013
But other people did. You probably have seen this already: A Visual Representation of Biblical Contradictions | Science-Based Life

You will have to elaborate a bit on that, beacause the way i read it, you're saying that the bible claiming to be instructions from god validates it... Through the ages, many scriptures have claimed to be inspired by many gods - none of those are to my knowledge considered true.
The "scripture" is Gods Bible. Not any other literary work.

For you to assert that, "many scriptures have claimed to be inspired by many gods",,, is a falshood... No other God than the Creator has claimed Responsibility for the Bible.

If you reject the Scripture, I see no reason to waste my time. Believe whatever you want..... The end result will be the same.

A

amdg

Not to nitpick but, several books claim to be inspired by the divine (several greek myths, Qur'an, Book of Mormon, etc.) and several of the books of the bible don't claim any sort of heavenly authority (particularly the epistles).

A

amdg

The bible shows that wind actually has weight, it is a shame that people couldn’t believe the bible at first and had to rely on Science. The bible stated the wind has weight in the book of job chapter 28
“To establish a weight for the wind,
And apportion the waters by measure.”
– Job 28:25
The wind having weight in science wasn’t proven until 300 years ago or so, yet the bible proved it before. Without getting into detail and not to trust man (it is a curse to trust man Jeremiah 17:5), It is claimed that Evangelista Torricelli was the person that to discover that the air has weight. The bible was the first to say that Wind has weight, then science 300 years ago Science proved it.
First off, can you demonstrate that anyone denied that the wind had weight before Torricelli. Secondly, my understanding is that this verse is referring to the force of wind, and not the actual weight of wind.

A

ABjerre

The "scripture" is Gods Bible. Not any other literary work.

For you to assert that, "many scriptures have claimed to be inspired by many gods",,, is a falshood... No other God than the Creator has claimed Responsibility for the Bible.

If you reject the Scripture, I see no reason to waste my time. Believe whatever you want..... The end result will be the same.
I may have been unclear on that one, so let me rephrase that. I meant "scriptures" as in that many other writings through the ages have claimed to be inspired by many other gods. Examples being the quran, book of mormons, ancient writings about the greek, roman and the nordic gods too.

May 24, 2013
I may have been unclear on that one, so let me rephrase that. I meant "scriptures" as in that many other writings through the ages have claimed to be inspired by many other gods. Examples being the quran, book of mormons, ancient writings about the greek, roman and the nordic gods too.
Okay,, I see your point. I think all of those religions should be investigated. The more data we have, the better equipped we are to make a right decision. I see nothing wrong in examining all available data.

My position is, that i believe the Bible is the measuring stick on truth and how we are to live our lives.

oldhermit

Jul 28, 2012
Alabama
The people of God must be dedicated to the proposition that the Word of God relativizes all knowledge as found in socialization. The Word of God reveals the inherent short comings of human intelligence by comparing it to what God has revealed to us of His own intelligence. The Word of God must be allowed to relativize what society thinks. Intelligence is looked upon as a product of social engendering. Yet, true intelligence is not just an emerging social property and it cannot be allowed to be defined by the social conscience. We have allowed society to pronounce upon us what it believes must be regarded as the standard for an intelligent pattern of thinking. The world relies upon what is regards as the nine fields of inquiry as the foundation of all knowable truth. This is all knowledge that comes about as a result of full socialization. The Word of God exists in a state of hostility with what society regards as knowledge. What the world operates on as a basis for knowledge is not what God regards as true knowledge. Society seeks peaceful coexistence, but only on its own terms. The problem that faces the world is that when the Word of God is brought to bear upon the social collective it produces a friction within that society. The Word of God renders the wisdom of man as foolishness. Human knowledge cannot be accepted on the same par with the revelation of God, (Act.19:19 the burning of books). The Word of God cannot prevail in the mind of man unless there is a conscious effort on the part of the individual to render the mind subject to the power of the Word of God. All other forms of knowledge must be rendered subordinate to revelation. The two cannot function together in the same mind. As long as we allow human knowledge to assume an elevated position in our thinking it will always dominate over the Word of God. God will not force His knowledge upon us but He does render forced consequences for the mind that rejects His wisdom.

O

Orange513

The universe is the work of God, it's his creation. Everything about the nature of the universe is his handiwork. We live in the world that God himself created.

On the other hand, I think it's important to remember that the bible is printed in a factory. It was written by men, and passed from man to man for many hundreds of years. Yes, it helps teach us about God, but it comes to us indirectly, through the fallible hands of men. And like the game telephone, that message can be garbled.

I know some people don't like the book "The Golden Compass," because at times it can be quite critical of organized religion. But one thing I did like was that in their alternate universe, they referred to sciences like physics as "applied theology." And really, that's what science is. Science is applied theology. It's the process by which we learn more about how God's creation works.

When we learn about the universe, and it seems to conflict with the bible, I think it's a mistake to side with the bible. How you you take the word of a human book over what we have learned about the direct work of God himself? Now science isn't perfect (as I mention after the quote down below), but while individual scientific theories may prove to be wrong, the process of learning about the universe brings us a better understanding of God's creation, and over time, we use our God given brains to learn more, and replace those incorrect theories with better ones.

Really? How many times has science been revised based on it's own observations?
Men are not perfect, and our understanding of God's creation is not perfect either. But men are capable of improvement, and over time we develop a better understanding. Sometimes we are wrong, but instead of holding on to our incorrect conclusions, we constantly work to develop a better understanding of God's universe. Science isn't perfect, but it becomes better over time. I don't know if we will ever have a perfect understanding of the universe, but God gave us such wonderful powerful brains, and I think he would be proud to see us learn about the world within his universe, just as you are proud when a very young son our daughter learns about the world within your house.

It always makes me sad when people think that faith and science are somehow mutually exclusive. I don't understand why anybody would want to close their brains to learning more about the awesomeness of God's work. If somebody has faith that God created this universe, then science can only bring you closer to God, not drive you further away from him.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2011
Science is a tool, used by people with a worldview

You either have a biblical worldview and see Creation or

You have a humanistic worldview and see evolution

Same evidence, different interpretation of the evidence based off worldviews - check out "the ultimate proof of Creation" dr charles lisle

A

amdg

Science is a tool, used by people with a worldview

You either have a biblical worldview and see Creation or

You have a humanistic worldview and see evolution

Same evidence, different interpretation of the evidence based off worldviews - check out "the ultimate proof of Creation" dr charles lisle
Nope. Creationism often ignores evidence or comes up with ad hoc explanations for it. It is profoundly unscientific. Furthermore, many people have a biblical worldview and believe in evolution, they just don't observe a Creationist's interpretation of the Bible.

S

Sci

Yes, Danny, if science says one thing and scripture says another and I understand them both correctly then I know scripture is truth. God created what science is working on, the one who created it knows better than the mechanic trying to make head and tail of the creation.

There are some things to take into consideration when we use bible to explain the physical. The bible is written to explain the spiritual, not the physical, but because the physical is usually a reflection on the spiritual it uses it as illustrations. If we use the bible as a text book on science, it can lead us wrong. It wasn't given to us for that purpose. For instance about the creation of the world. Some things it says about the physical could be symbolic, and it could be we read the physical explanations wrong. God wants us to know and plainly says He created it, and outside of using a week as explanation of some things, God didn't say that I did it in just this much of your time. God's time is eternal time, our time isn't. Some things God doesn't tell us straight out, some things we just don't need to know.

The bible is truth, and there are places in it we can get some better understanding of science, but God didn't give it to us as a textbook on the physical.
The problem is, there are certain aspects of the bible that just cannot be interpreted as "spiritual". For instance, regarding creationism, the genealogy of Jesus is meticulously written out from Adam (the first human being ever created) all the way to Jesus himself. There seems to be no indication of anything "spiritual", but rather only a literal family tree. The problem comes when calculating out an approximation of time between Adam and Jesus (which comes out to roughly 4000 years).

The bible is basically insinuating that the first human arrived around 4000 BCE.
Now, unless you blindly believe in creationism, I think it's plain to see human beings have been around well beyond 6000 years. How can the bible be interpreted any differently to explain this discrepancy vs. our sciences?