Why do people wear a cross necklace or bracelet and what does it mean?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
R

Richie_2uk

not really sure a cross which is a basic shape really fits in the category of idol.
Well it still represents a carved image in the likeness of heaven.

Exodus 20:4
“You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth."

So technically it does fit in the category. Did the appostles wear cross neclaces to remind them of Jesus? they had pendants neclaces and alsorts in them days too. But did they wear a crucifix and cross chains and neclaces? I don't think they did. The pagans was the ones that introduced all this symbolic rememberances.

R

Richie_2uk

Some people wear it as a reminder, others wear it as an accessory, and some wear it as a statement of faith.

Those who choose to wear it for a reminder or a statement of faith...use it in the same manner as candles and yellow ribbons are used for remembering/supporting troops and their sacrifice.
But Can I ask? whats the point or wearing something that reminds you of Christ when he is in your heart already? Oh I'm sorry Jesus, Im just wearing this neclace to remind me of you, I know you are there in my heart, But its just a fashion statement. Lol.

Sorry I'm not being sarcastic, It was just there as a weird thought you know? But I know what you mean, and thats what people do. But at the end of the day, its still going against what Jesus said. Exodus 20:4You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth."

The Pagans has a huge lot to do with all this symbolic gesture remembrance thing.

Jesus is in our hearts, well for those who are Chritians, so why would anyone want to wear something to remind them of Jesus when he is there in the first place in your heart. All you have to do is look to your heart, and you will be reminded.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I know obviously the cross represents Jesus Christ but why do people wear it? Does it remind people that Jesus is always with them or reminds them of what Jesus did on the cross?
I don't wear a cross but there are times that I carry one if that holds any meaning.

M

maesha

It's really a great question, though I never thought of that. I wear cross necklace, because for me it symbolizes Salvation. Jesus bore our sins upon the cross and died in our place so we could be reconciled to God and receive eternal life.

jogoldie

Mar 20, 2014
The only time the cross jewelry bothers me is when the cross has Jesus still nailed to it.....
He has risen......an empty cross can be a rememberance.......but please put Jesus where He
belongs ....at the right hand of the Father.......

Its probably just me........

Sep 10, 2013
The only time the cross jewelry bothers me is when the cross has Jesus still nailed to it.....
He has risen......an empty cross can be a rememberance.......but please put Jesus where He
belongs ....at the right hand of the Father.......

Its probably just me........
For me it's exactly the opposite: the cross whithout Christ is empty...of meaning.

Channa

Mar 1, 2014
I usually wear a necklace with the word 'Jesus'
Because it's a memory. Also I want to have clear that people may talk to me about Jesus.
I had several conversations about God with nonbelievers through that necklace :)

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
No offense, but who are you to tell someone they are doing it wrong? It's not your place to say what is right or wrong or mine or anyone elses for that matter in how they choose to show their faith. What works for you may not work for others and vice versa.
"you will know them by their fruits"
a person shows their love for God by their character. Not jewelry.
I have nothing against wearing crosses. I have a few myself but I don't wear one thinking it will make me more Christian

J

Justagirlthatsings

I wear a cross every day as a reminder that Christ died for my sins and that I can always cast my anxieties on him because he cares for me (1 Peter 5:7)

J

jesus_freak116

I agree with the verse, but I do not completely agree with your interpretation of it. I think that it is good to be reminded from time to time, and I do agree with kneeling at the cross to pray to JESUS. I see nothing wrong with pictures, jewelry, or statues of crosses. However, I do think that we should not go to the cross for answers (as if to pray to the cross, or idolize it). I dont think that wearing a cross or hanging up a picture of the cross is considered idolizing it. I wear a cross to remind me of what my Jesus did for me and to remind others too if they were to ask. I dont see anything wrong with crosses as long as you are not looking to the cross itself for answers and hope.

J

jesus_freak116

Did you read this verse in context of the chapter or just pull the verse for means of this discussion? The beginning of the chapter talks about God talking to the people who made the golden calf in an image as an idol or a God to worship above Him. God says not to make an image and portray it as a God. You shouldnt make an image of a fish and say its a holy fish and worship it as the people worshiped the golden calf. Basically that we should not make images or statues or sculptures of objects and worship them as a God. Verse 4 says "You should not MAKE for YOURSELF a carved image..." I take this as making up a God or a false idol.