Why do we go to church?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jun 24, 2010
We are told to gather ourselves together as believers under the headship of Christ. During that gathering we exalt Christ and magnify the word to be edified and built up in grace and truth. The highest form of worship is to hear the word being preached. As we hear we mix faith and give heed to the word we hear and fellowship with one another in the conviction it brings into our hearts through the unity of the Spirit.

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
I haven't been a big church goer for some time because I get tired of hearing Pastors blow happy smoke up people's rumps instead of preparing them for what's coming, and I want to stand up and scream "do you people have any idea what's going on outside?" The one church I did truly love didn't teach you to be a sheep, they taught you to be shepherds to all those who don't know or believe in God, or who need guidance. Yes part of church going is for personal edification, but if you're not taught to then parlay that into some kind of ministry for the hopeless it's a dead end street. God's gifts are meant to be given thru you, not to you, and I'd love to find another church that operates on that principal.

K

kenisyes

i wonder if your lack of interest in sermons is related to being a continuationist? ongoing revelation...prophets telling you what God is saying and doing?
interesting.
Not at all. I just get tired of hearing the same ones over and over. For most of my twenties and thirties, I would sit at the organ bench writing a better one in my head. I think we average about 5 at each prayer meeting. Each one is a few sentences, quoting Scripture and offering advice. But they are what the person needs, not a canned piece of rhetoric, written according to seminary guidelines.

You've probably noticed that there are half a dozen or so sermons styles out there, based on clusters of denominations?

This coming Tuesday I was asked to present a study on what day we should worship. I've got archeology, common sense, history, common practice, and all the arguments leveled against me from assorted CC threads in there, in addition to a list of around 15 Scripture passages. I'd post my conclusion, but it would REALLY derail this thread. The whole thing, I think is 15 minutes. Now who's going to preach like that? See, I Cor. 14, ONE of you has a Scripture, ONE of you has a teaching, ONE of you has..... In most churches, the pastor and music director have it all, so week after week it's all the same.

J

jimmydiggs

What are other reasons are good reasons to go to church?
Fellowship!! When fellowship isn't possible, sometimes just to help set my mind in the right direction each week. Something to get me thinking about God.