Why do we need food?

• Thread starter OwenHeidenreich
  • Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 5, 2013
OwenHeidenreich,

I have a great idea.

You can be an example to all of us.

Why don't you just walk out your front door, right now, with nothing but the clothes you're wearing -
no money, no car keys, no phone, no food... and then... don't go back home.
Don't get a job, don't ask anyone for help, and don't go back home.
After a couple of months, get online, with the new computer God will surely give you,
and post here about your experiences.
What you're talking about here is about what is true, rather than what ought to be true if the bible is correct. Why is it true that God will not provide one's needs if they decide that, instead of working 40 hours a week, they'd rather preach publicly for 40 hours a week? After all, there are examples of traveling prophets in the bible (such as Elijah, Elisha, and Jesus) that were literally given everything without working a regular job or, in a case as extreme as Elijah being fed by ravens or the Israelites getting daily mana/quail, without even preparing one's own meals.

Do you really believe that God would not provide you with a new computer with no effort on your behalf (aside from prayer)? Why is that?

S

savedandhopeful

I need food to stay chubby:p

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
I believe God loves his children, and in His love, and sovereignty, he provides for them as he sees fit.

I don't believe everyone is called by God to be identical; we are all made differently for different things, and different purposes. We each have our own unique place, and our own unique ways to serve God. Not everyone is supposed to have the same kind of job, or the same kind of ministry. We're all unique.

That being said, I do think people sometimes take a couple of verses in the New Testament, and use those verses, out of context, to override everything else in all of scripture. I don't think that's a good way to apply scripture.

I also can't find any place in scripture where God tells us to wander around aimlessly, with no purpose, no plan, no specific calling, no specific ministry, just wandering around aimlessly... and then intentionally not looking for a job... and then just living off other people, as we just keep wandering around aimlessly like hobos... and all this time presuming upon God to meet all of our needs. I can't find this in scripture.

I can't find any place in scripture where we're told to wander around aimlessly, with no purpose, and just expect God to take care of us.

However, very often we do unwise things, and God STILL provides for us, and still takes care of us.
Every time we do something unwise, and God responds to us with mercy and comfort, it's nothing more than God being loving and merciful. It doesn't mean we should design a new model for living upon being as unwise as possible.

PopClick

Aug 12, 2011
Because we done git hungry, boy!

B

BeanieD

Amen, God does provide the things we need, like a place to live and all the things we need for who we are and what He wants s to do. This may be in the form of a gift, opportunity, or what ever source for a particular item. We are the hands and feet of God, and we are to be about His business, and He shows us how to do that. Faith, Trust and open

Feb 16, 2011
God never said not to work. The Bible actually says in the New Testament if you do not work you do not eat.