WHY DO WE SIN?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

mule

I have mentioned this before but I have two rules of thumb when it comes to sin.
1. if you hate sin, DON'T DO IT!!!
2. if it is not love ( as Jesus taught) it is sin.

Now, why do we sin? Is it the flesh or is it our spirit? We say we are weak to the flesh because we lust but how about if we envy or are jealous or if we covet.
It is what is in our heart that defiles us!!

Nov 26, 2011
Jas 1:14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
Jas 1:15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

1Jn 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

Gen 3:6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

Pro 1:29 For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the LORD:
Pro 1:30 They would none of my counsel: they despised all my reproof.
Pro 1:31 Therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own devices.

Eze_36:17 Son of man, when the house of Israel dwelt in their own land, theydefiled it by their own way and by their doings: their way was before me as the uncleanness of a removed woman.

Isa_53:6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

Luk 15:11 And he said, A certain man had two sons:
Luk 15:12 And the younger of them said to his father, Father, give me the portion of goods that falleth to me. And he divided unto them his living.
Luk 15:13 And not many days after the younger son gathered all together, and took his journey into a far country, and there wasted his substance with riotous living.

The solution

Act_26:20 But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

Isa 55:7 Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.

Deu 30:19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:
Deu 30:20 That thou mayest love the LORD thy God, and that thou mayest obey his voice, and that thou mayest cleave unto him: for he is thy life, and the length of thy days: that thou mayest dwell in the land which the LORD sware unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.

Joh 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Joh 15:4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
Joh 15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

Bookends

Aug 28, 2012
"scratches" my head... i don't know. The old man within us is dead, but still lingers on I guess, kinda like a bad smelling fart. Perhaps God doesn't want us to become prideful in our own flesh, so He can get all the credit?

Sep 10, 2012
we are made up of body and spirit and even though our body and soul is alive, we are born spiritually dead from sin and when we become born again, we are given a new spirit..the Holy Spirit and so we become a new creature...still our bodies and souls are alive and at war with our new spirit and that is why we still sin..our bodies will die and we will be given a new body on the day of Resurrection and all creation groans till this Day

gotime

Mar 3, 2011
As said earlier:

Jas 1:14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
Jas 1:15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

So it is our own lust that entices us, in other words we are tempted by our own wants which then brings sin.

but here is a promise of God:

1Co 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

Here God promises that He is faithful and that he makes a way out of temptation. thus we never have to give into temptation.

Christ is you is the only way to stop sinning.

Gal 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Jesus said:

Joh 15:4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
Joh 15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

notice without Christ in us we can do nothing.

John understood what Jesus meant by this.

1Jn 3:8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
1Jn 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

If Christ seed is in you then you do not commit sin. those who sin are of the devil.

The Gospel is clear that we are free from sin in Christ, James is clear that it is our own lust that carries us away from God and causes sin. We sin because we love sin more than Jesus.

1Jn 3:7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

Rom 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Jesus came to free us from sin:

Joh 8:34 Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.
Joh 8:35 And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever.
Joh 8:36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

be free in the gift of Grace freely given in Jesus. blessings

L

Laodicea

1 Peter 1:23
(23) Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

Attachments

Feb 17, 2010
A few minutes ago I had my SON-rise moment with God. It is my feeble effort to force my mind to the Word of God, and to conversation with our Lord Jesus. Then I had the urge to share how Jesus healed me from adultery, and adultery in the flesh of the mind.

I committed adultery for MANY years, physically and mentally, the physical type was quite easy to stop as God showed me how ten thousand angels were watching with the Lord how I commit that sin. Imagine going into a bedroom and tenthousand angels are watching your every move, as God shows them in detail how you commit sin, and why they are not sent to be at your demands! Well the same heavenly bodies that we make happy when we repent from sin, are the same heavenly bodies that are sadddened when we do not!

So after I realized I am not so private with the lady (many other men'swives) as I thought, I just could not do it again. But I still had thoughts nd lusts after the scarcely dressed and daring dressers. It was amazing that the modesty in beatiful women was like a beautiful daughter or sister, the thoughts kust does not go THAT WAY! Maybe that is why God says this is the way women should dress.... 1Ti_2:9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

Now knowing this, I KNOW what is not "modest". So every time I see a real goodlooking woman one of two things happen and it is determined by HER spirit and dressing behaviour.
1. The woman is dressed modest... Showing no flesh! Showing no shape! Andif she wears no make-up it is even MORE holier thoughts that enters my mind. So, when I see a beutiful woman, with no make-up, and dressed modestly, I immediately thank the Lord for this woman dressing like HE meant her to dress, and I thank the Lord that she LISTENS to Him and that she does not present a temptation to me. So when I see the woman, I am at prayer and it is obvious that she, in her spirit, lso serve the same Lord as I! So I do not commit adultery, not in action or thought.

2. I see the same class of woman, but she is dressed revealing a lot of flesh, and shape. Immediately on seing this woman, I give praise to the lord for the nice packeging, already in prayer in my mind to the Lord. Then I pray for her.... Lord, shame, does he not know that ALL her parts should belong to ONE MAN. Like the woman you spoke too at the well. I am sure YOU told her NOT to be a stumbling block, but she does not understand where her dresscode takes some men! And they Lord, do they not know that they should not have those thoughts? Thank You Lord that my thoughts are now with you. Praise my Lord Jesus, and ten thousand angels smile with my on the pathetic efford Satan uses, to get me to fall back to my old ways.

Now I walk around this dangerous woman with a smile on my face, and she looks like Satan in a good looking package. It is just pleasing to know that I have WAY more angels in heaven smiling down on me, and with me, than sad angels! so I comfort her angels, that maybe she would ask me how she looks, and I would answer...Same as your angels, ma'am....SAD! If she asks what I mean I will explain smething similar I just shared with you! That even her looks should be spared for her husband!

starfield

Jun 13, 2009
As long as we are on earth, there will be war between the flesh and the spirit. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. One must crucify the flesh and bring it to obedience to Christ.
Romans 13:14- But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.
Galatians 5:24-25- And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

Feb 17, 2010
Starfield, do you relly believe that God's salvation does not overcome the weakness or the lusts of the flesh? Thes ame Paul taught us that EVERY person IN Christ is a NEW creature, and that EVERYTHING are made new and the OLD is GONE...DEAD! Does the new creature still fight the spirit for holiness, and or unholiness? I do not think so, Paul says the OLD IS GONE! Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

I really believe that the war between flesh and spirit STOPS the moment we enter into Christ and HE into us, AT THE END OF OUR REPENTANCE! This only happens if we endured to the end of repentance! We have to NAIL ALL our sin to the cross... This is the war-period. Once we FINISH ALL THE SIN, comes the PEACE-PERIOD... Jesus said... Come to me, I WILL GIVE YOU REST! That Rest has NO MORE WAR!

starfield

Jun 13, 2009
Starfield, do you relly believe that God's salvation does not overcome the weakness or the lusts of the flesh? Thes ame Paul taught us that EVERY person IN Christ is a NEW creature, and that EVERYTHING are made new and the OLD is GONE...DEAD! Does the new creature still fight the spirit for holiness, and or unholiness? I do not think so, Paul says the OLD IS GONE! Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

I really believe that the war between flesh and spirit STOPS the moment we enter into Christ and HE into us, AT THE END OF OUR REPENTANCE! This only happens if we endured to the end of repentance! We have to NAIL ALL our sin to the cross... This is the war-period. Once we FINISH ALL THE SIN, comes the PEACE-PERIOD... Jesus said... Come to me, I WILL GIVE YOU REST! That Rest has NO MORE WAR!
Satan relentlessly pursues the soul yielded to God, this is why Jesus said we must watch and pray that we do not give in to temptation.
Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. Resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world (1 Peter 5:8-9).
The spiritual war between the flesh and spirit does not stop until we get to Heaven, but God has promised to create ways of escape. We should take heed to those avenues of escape and not open the door for the devil.
I am not saying that the sin never stops. Sin has to stop. We must say no to fleshly enticement.

Feb 17, 2010
Satan flees from the righteouss, FLEES... James 4:7... Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. ... And one of my favourate verses.... !1 John 5:18....
We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

I Guess it is hard to toucheth someone that you flee from! HAHAHA DEVIL I RESIST YOU! FLEE YOU RUBBISH!

Dec 14, 2009
I have mentioned this before but I have two rules of thumb when it comes to sin.

Now, why do we sin? Is it the flesh or is it our spirit? We say we are weak to the flesh because we lust but how about if we envy or are jealous or if we covet.
I personally, think this is a fantastic question.

Sin can be put into brackets, legislated. We can put fear of punishment on it. We can say it's evil. that all sin corrupts. We can look at scripture and say 'well it's choice'. But is it really?

I myself, without talking about anyone else's sins, find that sometimes I sin out of ignorance. Sometimes out of fear. Sometimes out of freedom. Sometimes because I liked it. Sometimes because I felt I needed it.

Sometimes I sinned because I was angry. Sometimes it was because I was sad. Sometimes I was blind. Sometimes I was rebellious. Sometimes I sinned just to 'get a break'.

There are a million reasons why.

But I think the real question I ask myself is 'what is the purpose?'

Or 'why did I think that?' or 'why do I do that?'

ANd ultimately, I can point and judge. i can sin and question. I can have a million thoughts that come into my head and the only answer I have ever gotten is;

Because I didn't love.

Either I haven't loved myself or I haven't loved others.

Sin isn't opposite to love. It's just lack of it.

Learn to capitvate my thoughts to charitable, self sacrificing love. And that is how I can stop sinning.

Always asking 'Is that a loving thought?'

If it isn't. I ask 'well why do I think it? How do I feel right now? What is going through my mind?'

What can I do to make myself feel better?

And always the answer is 'ONE ACT OF RANDOM KINDNESS'.

It brightens my day every single time.

Love is joyful. Joy is loving. Love is active. Activity is good. Goodness is fruitful. Fruit is tasty.

That was a bit random.

But love brings that kind of positive reaffirming and joyful circle into firstly my mind. And then my life.

Peace is synonymous with patience and understadning of my own mind.

If I can work out why I do certain things, I can change.

And if I can change to the point where I say at every moment 'How can I love?' instead of 'Law this. They did that. Judge judge. Spite spite' then this life becomes free. And it isn't hard work anymore. It's enjoyable to be restrained. It's comfortable to be self-controlled.

Last edited:
C

CRUCIFIEDWITHCHRIST

Sin comes from unbelief.

Feb 17, 2010
Did God not say if we love Him we will keep His Word....commands... So it is love that acheves the sinless perfection. Great explination mediate. God said... Be perfect as thou heavenly Father is perfect.... That is to say we ought to have the same love God has... And greater love there is not but to give your life to others.... I only need to learn to sacrifice EVERY MOMENT and I will not sin ANY MOMENT!.

God of Love, please fill my heart with love for every person I come in contact with.

Now I need to give GLORY to my Lord Jesus. The amount of love I do have in my heart today, is a ZILLION times more I had before I knew Him. Thank you lord that I love my neighbor as myself and You more than anything. And the ONLY reason I do, is because YOU loved me before you made the earth.

Lord forgive me my trespasses, as I forgive those that still do what I used to do. Amen! AMEN AMEN! I love YOU all and I love GOD above you all and myself! AMEN!

L

Laodicea

John 8:34-36 KJV
(34) Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.
(35) And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever.
(36) If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

People sin because they are slaves to sin but, Jesus has set us free from the bondage of sin.

Dec 1, 2012
John 8:34-36 KJV
(34) Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.
(35) And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever.
(36) If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

People sin because they are slaves to sin but, Jesus has set us free from the bondage of sin.
That still does not exclude the fact that WHOEVER SINS is a SERVANT OF SIN!

It is the mind that needs to be transformed. The body STILL serves the law of sin. Hence none of us will remain (as we are in the body of sins and APART from the Lord) in the house forever.

Nov 22, 2012
If u could know about Lives of Saints,if u could know why is it important to read.If u could know what passions they have passed and what combats with body temptations have they passed and won by their prayers and fast,total ascetic life.U would understand why do we sin and how hard is life of Christian.

S

spirit1st

We are born into sin !We dwell in a sin natured body all our lives here ! It only our spirit that is perfect after Salvation ! That why He says ? walk in the Spirit [Our spirit] then we will not full fill the Lust of our Flesh !

God sees all mankimnd in the flesh as Sinners 100% ! that why He tells Us not to compare ourselves with others !
2Co_10:12 For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.

Rom_5:12
Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

Rom_7:23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

Rom_8:10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

Dec 21, 2012

James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him........13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: 14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. 15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. 16 Do not err, my beloved brethren.

1 John 2:1My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: 2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

1 John 1:4 And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full. 5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

Ephesians 6:10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. 11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. 13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

1 Peter 4:1Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin; 2 That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God. 3 For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries: 4 Wherein they think it strange that ye run not with them to the same excess of riot, speaking evil of you: 5 Who shall give account to him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead. 6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit. 7 But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer.

1 Peter 4:12 Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: 13 But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.

Hebrews 2:18 For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.

Romans 6:12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof. 13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God. 14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

Romans 13:13 Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying. 14 But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.

1 Corinthians 6:12All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

1 Corinthians 10:23All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

1 Corinthians 10:12 Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall. 13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

1 Peter 5:6 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time: 7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you. 8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: 9 Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world. 10 But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you. 11 To him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

1 John 3:3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure....8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.....22 And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight. 23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment. 24 And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

Hebrews 12:1Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, 2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

1 John 5:1Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.....4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. 5 Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?

Jude 1:24 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, 25 To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

Dec 19, 2009

Temptation can be very powerful. We must learn to master it.