Why or Does the Bible Tolerate Slavery?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

Crazy4GODword

This might be kinda hard for myself to answer haha or is it? What are your thoughts with scriptural backup

A

Abiding

Slavery in the Old testament and also the gleaning laws were more
of a blessing than anything.

Id love to find an employer someday that would feed me cloth me pay my bills
and past debts and give me a nice house also. And if i had a nice boss hed
make me wear good clothes to make Him look good in public.

Especially back then. No food lines or welfare, or free housing if your lazy.:p

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
Id love to find an employer someday that would feed me cloth me pay my bills
and past debts and give me a nice house also. And if i had a nice boss hed
make me wear good clothes to make Him look good in public.
Used'ta be an employer would do all these things for you - it's called a living wage.

A

Abiding

By the way servant was a common word then also.
People wished to be servants. As a alternative to homelessness or starvation.

J

Jordache

The bible is a book... so it's can't really tolerate anything. But the God who inspired it did not approve of the slavery. God gave a us a choice to love, do good, help, heal, etc. In everything we have choice. Slavery was BAD choice, but to remove the ability to choose would be to remove the ability to truly love.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
This might be kinda hard for myself to answer haha or is it? What are your thoughts with scriptural backup
If by slavery you mean the unjust inhumane treatment of servants...no, the bible does not condone it.

J

Jullianna

1 Corinthians 12:13: "For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit."
-------
Galatians 3:28:"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus."
-------
Colossians 3:11: "Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all."
-------
As with all things that cause suffering to man, slavery to anyone or anything is a by-product of the fall of man. If we had no documentation of slavery, we would not understand sin's bondage or fully appreciate the freedom we have in Christ. Perhaps the references and examples of slavery are as Jesus descibed divorce...it was permitted under the law, but....
Matthew 19: 8Jesus replied, "Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. 9I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery."

C

Crazy4GODword

If by slavery you mean the unjust inhumane treatment of servants...no, the bible does not condone it.
ah this brother pointed out an interesting point