Why pray for the unsaved? Two Perspectives

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Freewillers: Why pray the for unsaved? After all God doesn't meddle with one's 'freewill', right?

Calvinist types: Why pray for the unsaved? After all, God has already predetermined who are his.

Ding -Ding -Ding, Round One

J

Jordache

God sees from beginning to end including our prayers. We are told to pray, to ask, to seek... This is obedience. I'm a free-will Calvinist.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
I know that is essentially J.I. Packer's answer also, but it doesn't answer the point ,'Why pray, when those who have been predestined have already been before the foundation of rhe world?'

tribesman

Oct 13, 2011
I'm a free-will Calvinist.
LOL. That's like saying "I'm on a working vacation".

To the OP, we don't know all of whom are or will be saved. Our main task in evangelizing is to reach as many as we can with the gospel. In doing so praying for the souls ministered to would be natural.

starfield

Jun 13, 2009
God can intervene in situations when we pray to Him in faith such as bringing conviction of sin on the heart and mind of a sinner and putting the impulse in them to follow Him, but that does not negate free will. He has the power to soften the sinner's heart so that they call on Him to be saved. Also, the fact that God gave free will means He cannot be blamed for evil because it is man that composes evil. He can permit evil and also intervene for example the account of the flood in the days of Noah.

One can also question the purpose of evangelizing if God has predetermined who are His or God does not interfere with one's free will. Well Jesus commanded that we preach the gospel to the lost and the bible says "how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?". So clearly, we are to preach the gospel because faith comes by hearing the word of God and His word, which is sharper as twoedged sword, has power to convict the sinner of their guilty state then they will repent and believe to be saved and God's name alone will be glorified.

Rom 10:1 Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.

My point is that God can touch the heart even the hardest heart through His word and Spirit, so it is important that we faithfully pray for lost souls to come to the knowledge of the truth.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Why isn't softening or touching the heart as you described, considered meddling with ones free will?

P

psychomom

I think scripture is clear our will is bound to sin, before and unless God redeems us.
(slave to sin or slave to Christ)
Just those two options, and no others are presented in the Word of God.

I pray because we are told to pray,
and because I do not know the plans and purposes of God.
But take great consolation from Romans 8:27. :)

A

Abiding

Freewillers: Why pray the for unsaved? After all God doesn't meddle with one's 'freewill', right?
false statement ive never heard a freewiller say God cant meddle
Calvinist types: Why pray for the unsaved? After all, God has already predetermined who are his.
hmmm i know their answer but ill let this one go.
Ding -Ding -Ding, Round One

A

Abiding

By definition freewill doesnt exist. It would be more respectful to call it volition
or selfdesire/selfwill

A

Abiding

Ill come back when theres a third perspective.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
I think scripture is clear our will is bound to sin, before and unless God redeems us.
(slave to sin or slave to Christ)
Just those two options, and no others are presented in the Word of God.

I pray because we are told to pray,
and because I do not know the plans and purposes of God.
But take great consolation from Romans 8:27. :)
Ok,so when you pray is it like, Lord please save this person if he is one of the elect? or if it is your will? Or?