Why Prayers Do Not Work For Some

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jun 11, 2013
1. God knew u were going to give up from that start when u realize its not on your own time.

2.Some people use prayers as an Test of scientific point of view and think they just going to use god as an test how would u feel if you gave some one life and they testing you ?

3. only go to god only when they in trouble and seem to forget about him when their doing good.

4. What you may pray for may not be the answer to your problem in life

5. Some where in your heart u do not put your trust in him... god can read your soul no matter how deep your hide your feelings and heart...

Oct 31, 2011
  1. Prayer is not addressed properly, God says address to God the Father
  2. Person praying does not understand or express God's holiness
  3. Prayer is not for something within the Kingdom of God
  4. Person praying brings his sins with him to the throne of God, not cleaning himself first with forgiveness
  5. Person praying does not believe in the power or glory of God to do as we ask
  6. Person praying holds a grudge, Christ can't forgive people who won't forgive others

K

kenisyes

Prayers always work. They always get you and God closer. But if you expect God to do specifically whatever you want, that is naother matter. First, He may have to do several other things first, and needs to get you ready for them one step at a time. Secondly, what you pray for now might not be what you will want after you and He get closer together.

Oct 31, 2011
Prayers always work. They always get you and God closer. But if you expect God to do specifically whatever you want, that is naother matter. First, He may have to do several other things first, and needs to get you ready for them one step at a time. Secondly, what you pray for now might not be what you will want after you and He get closer together.
We go to the same source to study and come up with different conclusions! We usually agree. You are saying prayers always work, and I am saying you can pray without fruits from that prayer.

However, my thinking is influenced by a book I read about it. It is "Prayer Can Change Your Life" William Parker. He did an experiment on prayer at his college using 45 people for a year, only, as background. There were three groups of 15, each person in the groups with a difficult problem to overcome. One group simply prayed half an hour a day, reporting on their prayer to Mr. Parker once a week. Another group used counseling, and another met to study biblical prayer and try to meet biblical requirements for prayer. The book says that some in the prayer without study group actually got worse, as in one with arthritis who prayed "Lord, I have arthritis, I have arthritis". Those in the group who used biblical instructions for prayer had miraculous answers, and the book is about what they saw are ways to pray successfully.

I don't always agree with Mr. Parker's conclusions, either, but he convinced me that we can pray in a way that God does not hear. But perhaps prayer always works in that they bring us closer to Him in our thoughts?

Jun 11, 2013
i respect everyone opinion thank you

K

kenisyes

We go to the same source to study and come up with different conclusions! We usually agree. You are saying prayers always work, and I am saying you can pray without fruits from that prayer.
Absolute worse case, is the prayer without study group got angry with God, read the book, and finally tried the other way. Thus, in addition to eventually getting healed (after they started studying too), they learned the importance of allowing God to speak back through His word, and thus got closer to Him. Even Mr. Parker apparently could not always discern how God works, as he only evaluated the healing, not the eventual change in relationship with God.

I guess we should clarify, prayer is not words, it's the intention to communicate.

Oct 31, 2011
Absolute worse case, is the prayer without study group got angry with God, read the book, and finally tried the other way. Thus, in addition to eventually getting healed (after they started studying too), they learned the importance of allowing God to speak back through His word, and thus got closer to Him. Even Mr. Parker apparently could not always discern how God works, as he only evaluated the healing, not the eventual change in relationship with God.

I guess we should clarify, prayer is not words, it's the intention to communicate.
I am not understanding very well. Perhaps I am talking about specific answers to a certain problem, and you are talking about God answering, sometimes by improved communication and outlook?

I didn't understand, either, that Parker addressed anything about the first group who prayed without first asking God how to pray, except giving what happened to what they prayed for. So while we were told that the man with arthritis got worse, even, we were told nothing about other answers to that prayer.

I didn't think the book was about the benefits of prayer, but only about getting answers to what was prayed for.

K

kenisyes

I am not understanding very well. Perhaps I am talking about specific answers to a certain problem, and you are talking about God answering, sometimes by improved communication and outlook?
You are exactly right. I'm pretty sure the OP was about praying for specific things. I responded with a broader view, that we should let God relate on His terms, not try to force Him into ours. Then of course, "seek first the Kingdom of God, and all these things will be added unto you" takes over. Since my first post, both positions have been going in the thread simultaneously.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Pray is a powerful weapon against the enemy, if done in faith and according to Gods will it can save a life. As we get closer to God we begin to ask things he desires us to ask, because his will becomes our will. And prayer doesn't always have to be asking for something, I like to just talk with him

Oct 31, 2011
You are exactly right. I'm pretty sure the OP was about praying for specific things. I responded with a broader view, that we should let God relate on His terms, not try to force Him into ours. Then of course, "seek first the Kingdom of God, and all these things will be added unto you" takes over. Since my first post, both positions have been going in the thread simultaneously.
Sometimes it takes me awhile to understand, but I always agree with you.