why should we pray that God lead us not into temptation, when Jms 1:13 says that God?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

Crazy4GODword

why should we pray that God lead us not into temptation, when James 1:13 says that God does not tempt anyone? What are your thoughts on this subject?

HEIsRiSen

Feb 4, 2013
Let no man say that I am tempted of God. I think it is asking for God to not let us be led into temptation, or to lead us away from it.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Re: why should we pray that God lead us not into temptation, when Jms 1:13 says that

It seems the prayer is more in terms of leading us along green pastures while keeping us on a path free of snares.

C

cfultz3

why should we pray that God lead us not into temptation, when James 1:13 says that God does not tempt anyone? What are your thoughts on this subject?
Do not bring us into a test, but rather rush us away from evil (words expressed out from the Greek)

Watch and pray that you do not enter into temptation (Mat 26:41)

The Spirit is indeed willing, but the flesh is weak. (Mat 26:41)

ForthAngel

Aug 31, 2012
Re: why should we pray that God lead us not into temptation, when Jms 1:13 says that

I thought about this before too. I think just because God can lead us to temptation, it doesn't mean He Himself is tempting us. There are instances in the bible talking about "trials by fire". Like cfultz3 said above from the Greek, I believe God does test our mettle sometimes in order to refine us through lessons learned and to strengthen faith. There would be nothing to learn if we never messed up. We would be catatonic in our faith and become lazy in our walk. Trials we go through usually involve some form of temptation. It's spiritual refinement in my opinion. Strength is born from adversity and struggle, not a life of rainbows and gumdrops.

"The firing pot is for silver, and the furnace for gold: but the Lord trieth the heart"

Feb 21, 2012
Let no man say that I am tempted of God. I think it is asking for God to not let us be led into temptation, or to lead us away from it.
Yes, I think so too ---- lead us not into temptation - point being - deliver us from evil. . . . .or it could mean - let us not be lead into temptation but deliver us from evil. As in:

1 Corinthians 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

starfield

Jun 13, 2009

We don't have to succumb to temptations because the Most High God can provide a way of escape (1 Cor 10:13).