Why So Afraid of Denominations

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
May 15, 2013
What does the South have to do with anything?
United we stand, divided we fall. It work the same in all kingdoms.

If we could first know where we are and whither we are tending, we could better judge what to do and how to do it. We are now far into the fifth year since a policy was initiated with the avowed object and confident promise of putting an end to slavery agitation. Under the operation of that policy, that agitation has not only not ceased but has constantly augmented. In my opinion, it will not cease until a crisis shall have been reached and passed. "A house divided against itself cannot stand." I believe this government cannot endure, permanently, half slave and half free. I do not expect the Union to be dissolved; I do not expect the house to fall; but I do expect it will cease to be divided. It will become all one thing, or all the other. Either the opponents of slavery will arrest the further spread of it and place it where the public mind shall rest in the belief that it is in the course of ultimate extinction, or its advocates will push it forward till it shall become alike lawful in all the states, old as well as new, North as well as South.
Excerpt from Abraham Lincoln's speech, "A House Divided"

allaboutlove

Jun 11, 2013
A lot of people on CC like to pretend they aren't denominational so they can ride the non-denom horse allllllll the way to town, and back! Pride getting out the non-denom billy club to beat down those who are honest.

Whats wrong with being non denomanational?

Aug 15, 2009
I'm glad there are no discussions on denominations. That conflict could go nuclear:rolleyes:

N

Nancyer

I have no problem discussing various denominational doctrines or beliefs. I was raised Methodist and attend a Methodist church. Open Hearts, Open Minds, Open Doors. John & Charles Wesley founded it in England, breaking from the Church of England. What set them apart was the fact that you didn't have to subscribe to a belief in a particular doctrine or set of rules. You had to follow Christ, believe the Bible, but translate it for yourself, basically. We do that with 4 basic guidelines: Scripture, Tradition, Experience and Reason. They did a lot of "good works", started hospitals, colleges, helped the poor, all for the glory of God. Charles Wesley wrote hundreds of hymns we still sing today. (Check out your hymnals next Sunday morning....)

I am currently studying the history of Methodism, a Bible Study class at my church on Thursday nights. Couldn't make the class last night so I guess I have some catch up homework to do, but if anyone is interested I will pass along what I learn.

One more thing, p.b.s. (public television for those not in the states) has a great dvd series called God in America on the history of Christianity and God here in the states, how it changed as this country was founded and grew. The various denominations, how they came about, etc. Amazing series, we did 7 weeks on it at church. I'd love to get a copy of the dvd when I can afford it. Fascinating.

Jun 14, 2013
I haven't had time to read all the responses, but the way I see denominations is similar to the way Pope John Paul II did (at least referring to Catholicism and Orthodoxy).

They each are a lung out of which the Church breaths.

Meaning, to me, that they constitute one body. Though divided ecclesiastically, united in faith.

S

SantoSubito

Most people here don't like denominations for a couple of main reasons.

First being that many people here hold beliefs that don't particularly fit in any denomination.

Second, others see all churches as corrupted or contaminated in someway.

Third, and probably the most important, some just have such an aversion to being subject to any church authority whatsoever.

shawntc

May 7, 2010
Most denoms have played fast and loose with their original confessions/doctrinal distinctives.
The biggest trap with denoms is that some end up putting their trust in "I am a so n so" rather than Christ. On the up side they can provide checks and balances with false doctrine and practice.
The part I rendered in bold is indeed something that we need to be careful about. I can see why that might lead to some having aversion to discussing denominations. People need to be given deeper understanding of Jesus and what he did. I might say I'm a Lutheran, but God's power doesn't come from being Lutheran. It comes from faith in Christ.

the thing I don't like about denominations is so many of them put their creeds above the Bible. and it is kind of mind-control. go and talk to a pentacostal about tongues and see how far you get. and in the southern Baptist thread offer one of them a glass of wine and see what happens. I can read the Word of God and make up my own mind without a denomination being involved.
Fair enough an assessment.

Most people here don't like denominations for a couple of main reasons.

First being that many people here hold beliefs that don't particularly fit in any denomination.

Second, others see all churches as corrupted or contaminated in someway.

Third, and probably the most important, some just have such an aversion to being subject to any church authority whatsoever.
I can totally see the logic behind the second reason, but the third one... how so?

SparkleEyes

Mar 23, 2013
I understand the need some people have for denominations, but I think that sometimes their rules and constitutions and such get in the way of simply worshiping Christ.

I prefer non-denom churches. I will say there are churches of every denomination (and non-denom) that are not pleasing to God. So, be careful that you know what you need to know about your church. I will also say that every church by definition has some fault. Why? Because they are run by man, and man is fallible.

nl

Jun 26, 2011
The repeated tendency is for denominational heads to gather kingdoms, powers and glories under themselves rather than under the True Head of the Body, Jesus Christ. Loyalty and devotion to the denomination has too often pushed aside higher loyalty and devotion to Jesus Christ. Clubs of good old boys and girls tend to promote the continuance of their accumulated positions and privileges and pretend not to notice when a club member commits a transgression. IMHO.

On the plus side, denominations can promote at least a visible appearance of agreement at some level.