Why the greatest of these is charity, why not faith ?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Jon4TheCross

Oct 19, 2012
One fine day, we will no longer need faith and hope because we will be with the Lord but love continues on.
We will always have hope and faith, because life is evermore fruitful and maturing, and also because they are part of God.

1 John 4:7-9Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. 8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love. 9 In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.
1 Corinthians 13:12-13Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. 13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
1 Corinthians 13:3-10Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, 5 doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; 6 rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; 7 beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. 9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

Jon4TheCross

Oct 19, 2012
One needful thing....
Luke 10:38-42Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

38 Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house. 39 And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus’ feet, and heard his word. 40 But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me. 41 And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: 42 but one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.

K

Kaycie

In some translations it says love instead of charity. Love is always the most important thing. Because you can break it down into many categories (love is patient, love is kind, it is not rude...) but these fragments can fail, but love itself never fails.

Let me give you an example. Gentleness is loving unless you misuse it. Say a man was trying to kidnap my daughter, and I had a hold of her leg. Should I hold her gently- which would allow his strength to take her from me? Or should I hold onto her with all my might? What would be the more loving thing- to take her to the hospital with a broken leg, or to find her raped and decapitated in a river in the woods somewhere? You see, gentleness can fail, but love never fails.

Or again, what about patience? What if all the sudden your loved one is having a heart attach, and you need to call 911. There is someone chatting on the phone you need to use. Would it be loving to wait patiently for them to get off the phone, after all, patience can be a loving thing. Of course not. It is not always correct to do the gentle thing, or patience, or any of the good virtues. But love never fails, it is always, always the right thing to do- even if it is tough love, it is always righteous to do the loving thing.

T

Tintin

In some translations it says love instead of charity. Love is always the most important thing. Because you can break it down into many categories (love is patient, love is kind, it is not rude...) but these fragments can fail, but love itself never fails.

Let me give you an example. Gentleness is loving unless you misuse it. Say a man was trying to kidnap my daughter, and I had a hold of her leg. Should I hold her gently- which would allow his strength to take her from me? Or should I hold onto her with all my might? What would be the more loving thing- to take her to the hospital with a broken leg, or to find her raped and decapitated in a river in the woods somewhere? You see, gentleness can fail, but love never fails.

Or again, what about patience? What if all the sudden your loved one is having a heart attach, and you need to call 911. There is someone chatting on the phone you need to use. Would it be loving to wait patiently for them to get off the phone, after all, patience can be a loving thing. Of course not. It is not always correct to do the gentle thing, or patience, or any of the good virtues. But love never fails, it is always, always the right thing to do- even if it is tough love, it is always righteous to do the loving thing.
Amen, Kaycie! That's why love must always be paired with truth. In both of the cases you gave the right thing to do would be the truthful thing, the most loving thing in that circumstance.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
One of God's essential make up is love.
Never says God is faith or hope.

Dec 10, 2015
John 3:16
[SUP]16 [/SUP] For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

This is how much God loved us!