Why the prevalence of fragile plastic?

• Thread starter progressivenerdgirl
  • Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
P

progressivenerdgirl

I was speaking to my father at lunch today, and we got to talking about plastics. Plastic is ubiquitous everywhere, but the overwhelming majority of it is incredibly flimsy. This is why many people equate 'plastic' with 'breaks easily'. Yet many polycarbonates are among the hardest, strongest and most temperature resistant materials known to mankind.

Now I understand that there are issues of cost here, as well as practicality. Nobody cares if the tiny plastic buckets they keep knickknacks in can hold up a car, and nobody wants indestructible Pop-Tart wrappers. But what about phones and computers? A decent phone or laptop will cost hundreds to thousands of dollars. I don't know about you, but if I am spending that much on something I would much prefer it be made out of Glock plastic instead of the flimsy, shatter-prone stuff they DO make it out of.

When I was younger I was taught to shoot using an H&K USP (which was WAY too big for my hands), and while reading the manual I discovered that the pistol could basically be put into a fireplace, thrown off a building and land in liquid oxygen and still function. Yet my phone stops functioning when I drop it more than 5 feet. Why not build them more robust? The weight and bulk of metals puts an upper limit on using them to reinforce small devices, but no such limitation exists for polycarbonate materials.

At the time, the USP cost about $600 which is not far off what a tablet or nice phone will cost you.

Do other people just not care? Just not know? Have the manufacturers not thought of this? I don't know about you, but if I am going to pay half a grand I want the thing to be able to resist some rough treatment; especially given that cellphones can be important tools in personal safety and navigation. I would certainly pay another $50 to get one that could survive a hammer.

H

Hellooo

Who is going to keep upgrading their phones and renewing their carrier contracts wiith an indestructible phone?

P

progressivenerdgirl

Who is going to keep upgrading their phones and renewing their carrier contracts wiith an indestructible phone?
'Programmed obsolecence' is what you are suggesting and it is pure economic nonsense. If it were a superior option a company that made longer-lasting products would steal all the business from these supposedly 'underhanded' makers of disposable stuff. I wish people would apply basic economic reasoning before believing communist fairy tales. In fact, if someone doesn't have a background in economics they really have no right even voicing an opinion on it, anymore than I have a right to blather on about heart surgery just because I saw 10 minutes on the Discovery channel.

M

MidniteWelder

They use high grade plastics cuz a wooden gun(which may be effective if utilized properly, such as in the movie "The Other Guys") would have the unfortunate potential for giving you splinters.
Thumbs up for your Dad introducing you at a young age to firearms and their proper useage.

Aug 2, 2009
Its all about "the bottom line" a.k.a. profits. Large companies will use the cheapest plastic they can get away with for their products. When millions of consumers start complaining about the flimsy plastic in their phones, the phone manufactureres will start investing in better plastic. Until then, nothing will change.

Last edited:
H

Hellooo

B
'Programmed obsolecence' is what you are suggesting and it is pure economic nonsense. If it were a superior option a company that made longer-lasting products would steal all the business from these supposedly 'underhanded' makers of disposable stuff. I wish people would apply basic economic reasoning before believing communist fairy tales. In fact, if someone doesn't have a background in economics they really have no right even voicing an opinion on it, anymore than I have a right to blather on about heart surgery just because I saw 10 minutes on the Discovery channel.
You know, there's no need to resort to ad hominem to make a point. Since you seem to be implying that I have no right to voice an opinion on the topic due to my lack of relevant background, I've had pretty extensive formal education in finance and economics, in addition to being in the field professionally.

I'm far from a commie or commie fairy tale enthusiast, and I'm not suggesting that phone manufacturers are designing phones to fail. There's just no need to create super high quality, shatterproof, indestructible phones if you can create one that's still pretty functional and still profit. Why eat into your profit margin even more? (Although, planned obsolescence DOES exist. Try getting a quote at a car dealership, not a locksmith, to replace a programmable car key without a dupe key from a car made before 2000. I can almost guarantee you'll be told that you need to replace the car computer in addition to the new key set). Phone companies make more money on customers who enroll in contracts, continue to upgrade, and purchase accessory products or services.

Phone carriers subsidize the price of devices on their end for their subscribers. What incentive do they have to pay more to manufacturers? Let's take the relationship between Apple and ATT since the iPhone is so popular. ATT is already eating something like 300-400 dollars everytime someone upgrades to the iphone. One could argue that the incentive is to retain their existing customers, but cell phone demand is pretty elastic...its easier to churn and burn people on fees and contracts to recoup the price of the phone you subsidized.

There's also a pretty large market for cell phone accessories and insurance, including personalized phone covers, cases, anti glare screens, screen protectors, etc. I rarely see someone with a completely naked iphone. The cases and things seem to be a pretty decent substitute for quality issues, and I'm the first to say that cell phone insurance is a complete scam, but its also still an alternative that sells. Now, this is speculation on my part, but I'm willing to bet that apple makes more money selling accessories and branding third party accessory makers than it would paying extra to use better materials on their phones.

Good topic. I'm actually posting from my average-quality smartphone in the middle of a volunteer tax prep class (yawn), but I'm open to hearing what your thoughts are :)

N

NodMyHeadLikeYeah

Who cares....

oh wait you guys do. ;)