Why would God do this?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
W

WhiteRose525

So this is my first post...
My family is quite young.
I'm 16. My Grandmother isn't even in her 60's yet. I fear that she may not be with us much longer...
My grandparents own a farm. So naturally, they are very hard working people that are constantly operating semi-heavy machinery and completing many laborious chores each day. Well, over the past few weeks Grandmother has been getting really sick. She was mowing the fields and got a chest infection that has lasted much longer than normal. Now, it's hard for her to get up the stairs without needing to sit down for a few minutes.
Out of desperation and fear my grandfather took her to a hospital where she stayed overnight and had many tests done. The doctors have found a black substance the size of a golf ball in one of her lungs.
It might be cancer.
I'm scared.
I don't really show emotion that well and i am coming apart on the inside. Honestly I am afraid to talk to anyone because i have been accused of making a big deal out of many things before. But I don't know what to do.
I have tried to talk to God about it but I don't know what to say. If it is cancer then it's silly to ask that it not be what it is. I don't know what to ask or what to say.
Why would God let my grandmother suffer like this? She doesn't have an evil bone in her body. I don't want my family to have to go through this. It hurts. And I feel helpless.
I don't know what to say.
If anyone has any advice or verses they would like to share, please do. Because I feel like I am failing my grandmother by not being able to do something. I feel broken. I feel like such a horrible person because I can't help her. And I know it sounds ridiculous, but I feel like I am wasting space by not being helpful. I am very close to my grandmother. Can anyone help?
Why would God do this?
-Rose

NateDaGrimes

Jan 7, 2013
I'm 16. My Grandmother isn't even in her 60's yet. I fear that she may not be with us much longer...
My grandparents own a farm. So naturally, they are very hard working people that are constantly operating semi-heavy machinery and completing many laborious chores each day. Well, over the past few weeks Grandmother has been getting really sick. She was mowing the fields and got a chest infection that has lasted much longer than normal. Now, it's hard for her to get up the stairs without needing to sit down for a few minutes.
Out of desperation and fear my grandfather took her to a hospital where she stayed overnight and had many tests done. The doctors have found a black substance the size of a golf ball in one of her lungs.
It might be cancer.
I'm scared.
I don't really show emotion that well and i am coming apart on the inside. Honestly I am afraid to talk to anyone because i have been accused of making a big deal out of many things before. But I don't know what to do.
I have tried to talk to God about it but I don't know what to say. If it is cancer then it's silly to ask that it not be what it is. I don't know what to ask or what to say.
Why would God let my grandmother suffer like this? She doesn't have an evil bone in her body. I don't want my family to have to go through this. It hurts. And I feel helpless.
If anyone has any advice or verses they would like to share, please do. Because I feel like I am failing my grandmother by not being able to do something. I feel broken. I feel like such a horrible person because I can't help her. And I know it sounds ridiculous, but I feel like I am wasting space by not being helpful. I am very close to my grandmother. Can anyone help?
Why would God do this?
-Rose
My dad had cancer as well, he asked God why, simply God would just say "why not" you see bad things happen to everybody, it doesnt matter if she did wrong or good. (pretty much meaning it's just natural that people get sick, doesn't mean God can't heal it, my father survived)

U

Ugly

Sickness is not necessarily something that God 'does' to people. We live in a world of sin, and part of sin is sickness. Sickness is something we all face, whether it's a cold, or cancer. It affects people regardless of their 'goodness'.
And really, our 'goodness' is nothing to God. You say your grandmother doesn't have an evil bone in her body, yet God says she's a sinner in need of His grace. God says our righteousness is as 'filthy rags'. Judging your grandmother by human moral standards she may be a good woman, but God doesn't see her human version of goodness.
In the end, we all risk sickness, no matter how 'good' we are. Because that is the world we live in. And it doesn't mean God is to blame. The sinful world we exist in is to blame. Our imperfect bodies.

As far as you not being able to do anything, while mostly that is true. You can't 'fix' her, but you can be a support to her. People who have close relationships, strong support, etc... are known to have higher chances of recovering from illness than those who are more isolated. So if you want to help her just be there. Knowing a person has support can be a huge boost to their spirits, which can be a boost to their immune systems. I'm not saying that she will get better or any such thing, but it gives her a better chance. And even if she never gets past it it will make her time sick better for her knowing she's supported and loved through it all. So, maybe you can't do everything you like, but neither are you helpless.

And so you know, i have my own experiences with health issues, both myself and in my family. So my family has gone through quite a bit with health issues as well. Its scary and i understand much of how you're feeling. So my post is from experience.

Ella85

May 9, 2014
Sometimes there is nothing you can do but pray for her. Sickness Is a part of the world and Ugly is right there is not much you can do about it. If God thinks it's right he we will help her.

Either it can pull a family together or apart, I hope you will chose the right way and not blame God.
I see a lot of people losing their faith and blaming God for taking a loved one away from them.
My biggest suggestion for you to her is sit next to her, hold her hand and pray with her, for Jesus to come into her heart and accept him as her saviour. He will hear her prayer. Do not lose hope and do not be deceived by anything in this time of suffering, we all go though struggles in our life, keep your God close to you at all times, now more than ever. Stay strong and pray for her always. Hope your feeling better.

W

wwjd_kilden

As said: You can be there for her. That is very useful.
My best memories from a though year in my life was sitting in the library with a friend, none of us talking, just being together.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
It might be cancer.
I'm scared.
Why would God do this?
-Rose
​whiterose, I am a cancer survivor. I wrote a thread about it in the Miscellaneous forum, it is entitled "blue_ladybug's uterine cancer battle." I wrote it in hopes that whoever reads it will be blessed and inspired by it, and given hope. I would encourage you to go read it. :) I really think it will help you. I agree with the other posters. Things happen in life, not all of them good. Just pray for her and be there for her, and if you can show her my thread also, I'm sure it will help her too. :) My inbox is always open, so please pm me anytime if you wanna talk. :)