Wielding the "you're under the Lord's discipline" hammer.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A

AgeofKnowledge

I see this a lot. Whenever a Christian goes through hardship, other Christians want to tell them they are "under the Lord's discipline." They project blame after assuming guilt at the suffering Christian.

Example, this wonderful Christian lady at church who was heavily involved with service to hurting people developed rheumatoid arthritis. She was immediately told she needed to "get with it" so she would "be healed." When she wasn't, then she told that she was "under the Lord's discipline" with blame being assumed.

Another example, this wonderful Christian girl that plays music at small groups cooked a ham wrong and ended up with parasites. The doctors told her she had 30 days to live. Fortunately, she recovered and her liver is healing. Looks like she'll make it. But she must have been "under the Lord's discipline" right Pharisees?

I once saw a Christian woman walk across the street and get hit by an illegal alien speeding through a red light. That must be "the Lord's discipline" on her life.

But I really don't think so. While there are times that the Lord's discipline does come on Christians's lives because of things they are doing, often circumstances are simply occurring in a world where free will is permitted to exercise or the enemy is attacking someone's life.

The girl cooked a ham wrong, for example. That's all that's happening there. God isn't judging her, condemning her, or bringing her under His moral discipline because she cooked a ham wrong due to inexperience. Same with the lady who got arthritis.

We're not instructed to walk through hospitals telling everyone they're sick because they are "under the Lord's discipline" but many Christians have no problem doing that to their brothers and sisters at church.

Some Christians love a good barn yard pecking. They love to gather around and peck at the sick one in the group after assuming they are sick because they are morally guilty and therefore "under the Lord's discipline."

I've noticed that the ones who engage in this behavior often have the most blessed lives and haven't been through much. Ironic.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2013
I don't think our God goes about punishing people in this life.
The Bible makes it quite clear, sometimes the rich and wicked go to their graves unpunished.

God will judge people at the resurrection - not before.

Those who assume blame when a person goes through a hard time are unpleasant people who, I assume, wouldn't know Jesus if he hit them with a hammer. And when he sits on the seat of judgement, he probably won't know them...

A

Ariel82

understanding the book of Job would help.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Also these people who love to peck at others because they are going through suffering or trial are firstly- not really christians as the love is clearly not in them. second- need to be reminded about how gold is tested to be found pure, third, are just deluded and on a high horse that probably smells funny. fourthly and i say this as nicely as i can- are just plain cruel and make the pharasee's proud.

R

RachelBibleStudent

i have seen people proclaim that someone is 'under divine discipline' too...usually it just means they haven't been able to figure out why a person is actually suffering...

there are cases where people really are under God's discipline...but you have to be -very- careful about identifying such cases...for one thing there would need to be a consistent pattern of calamity along with persistent unrepentance...