Windows 7 programs

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 13, 2013
Is anyone here good at windows 7 programs? I am trying to figure out windows 7 movie maker. I can use music files ok, but I can only use video from a camera. I can't seem to get videos from the internet to work.

All I get is static or no picture if I try to use music or video from the internet.

Thanks.

D

djness

What kind of files can I use in Movie Maker?

[FONT=WOL_Reg]You can add the following types of video, photo, and audio files to Movie Maker.[/FONT]

[TABLE="class: table table2Col, width: 0"]
[TR]
[TH="class: matS"]Project file types (format)[/TH]
[TH="class: matS"]File name extensions[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg]Windows Movie Maker project files[/FONT]
[/TD]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg].mswmm[/FONT]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg]Movie Maker project files[/FONT]
[/TD]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg].wlmp[/FONT]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[TR]
[TH="class: matS"]Video file types (format)[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg]Windows Media Video (WMV) files[/FONT]
[/TD]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg].wmv[/FONT]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg]Windows Media files[/FONT]
[/TD]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg].asf and .wm[/FONT]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg]AVCHD files[/FONT]
[/TD]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg].m2ts, .mts, and .m2t[/FONT]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg]Apple QuickTime files[/FONT]
[/TD]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg].mov and .qt[/FONT]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg]DV‑AVI files[/FONT]
[/TD]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg].avi[/FONT]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg]Microsoft Recorded TV Show files[/FONT]
[/TD]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg].dvr-ms and .wtv[/FONT]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg]MPEG‑4 movie files[/FONT]
[/TD]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg].mp4, .mov,.m4v, .3gp, .3g2, and .k3g[/FONT]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg]MPEG‑2 movie files[/FONT]
[/TD]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg].mpeg, .mpg, .mpe, .m1v, .mp2, .mpv2, .mod, .vob, and .m2t[/FONT]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg]MPEG‑1 movie files[/FONT]
[/TD]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg].m1v[/FONT]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg]Motion JPEG files[/FONT]
[/TD]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg].avi and .mov[/FONT]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Notes

• Video files that use digital rights management (DRM) can't be used in Movie Maker.
  • Support for using MPEG‑2 and Microsoft Recorded TV Show video files in your movie is available only if your computer is running one of the following editions of Windows: Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional,Windows 7 Enterprise, or Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Vista Home Premium, or Windows Vista Ultimate.
  • AVCHD video files that contain Dolby Digital audio can be used in Movie Maker if your computer is running one of the following editions of Windows: Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Enterprise, orWindows 7 Ultimate.
  • MPEG‑4 video files that contain AAC audio can be used if you're using Movie Maker on a computer runningWindows 7.
  • 3GPP and 3GPP2 video files that are often recorded on a mobile phone can be used in Movie Maker if the file contains MPEG‑4 video, AAC audio, and if Movie Maker is installed on a computer running Windows 7.
    3GPP video files might contain AMR audio and 3GPP2 files might contain AMR or QCELP audio instead. In these cases, the video will often play, but the audio won't. Files that contain H.263 video might not play in Movie Maker without installing additional codecs.
  • Some MPEG‑4 video files can be used when you're using Movie Maker on a computer running Windows Vista if the necessary audio and video codecs are installed.
  • For more information about video and audio codecs, as well as determining which codecs are installed on your computer and used in a particular video file, see Codecs: frequently asked questions on the Windows website.

[TR]
[TH="class: matS"]Photo file types (format)[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg]Joint Photographic Experts Group (JPEG) files[/FONT]
[/TD]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg].jpg, .jpeg, .jfif, and .jpe[/FONT]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg]Tagged Image File Format (TIFF) files[/FONT]
[/TD]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg].tif and .tiff[/FONT]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg]Graphics Interchange Format (GIF) files[/FONT]
[/TD]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg].gif[/FONT]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg]Windows Bitmap files[/FONT]
[/TD]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg].bmp, .dib, and .rle[/FONT]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg]Icon files[/FONT]
[/TD]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg].ico and .icon[/FONT]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg]Portable Network Graphics (PNG) files[/FONT]
[/TD]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg].png[/FONT]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg]HD Photo files[/FONT]
[/TD]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg].wdp[/FONT]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[TR]
[TH="class: matS"]Audio file types (format)[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg]Windows Media Audio (WMA) files[/FONT]
[/TD]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg].asf, .wm, and .wma[/FONT]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg]Pulse‑code Modulation (PCM) files[/FONT]
[/TD]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg].aif, .aiff, and .wav[/FONT]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg]Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) files[/FONT]
[/TD]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg].m4a[/FONT]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg]MP3 files[/FONT]
[/TD]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg].mp3[/FONT]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][FONT=WOL_Reg]All video files supported in Movie Maker[/FONT]
[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[FONT=WOL_Reg]Notes

• Audio files that use digital rights management (DRM) can't be used in Movie Maker.
  • You can use video files that are supported in Movie Maker as audio files.
  • For more information about video and audio codecs, as well as determining which codecs are installed on your computer and used in a particular audio file, see Codecs: frequently asked questions on the Windows website.

[/FONT]

D

djness

Is anyone here good at windows 7 programs? I am trying to figure out windows 7 movie maker. I can use music files ok, but I can only use video from a camera. I can't seem to get videos from the internet to work.

All I get is static or no picture if I try to use music or video from the internet.

Thanks.
What do you mean by ''videos from the internet''? Are you talking about youtube videos or some other site videos you have downloaded?

You cannot play videos from sites through movie maker that I know of at least not streaming if that is what you are trying to do.

R

Richie_2uk

possibly you may need a video convertor program, a good one is Xilisoft Video converter, converts any video format. internet videos are usually in flash format. but you can also download for free K-lite codecs, it will install the latest video and all known video formats for your windows media player to play.

G4JC

Feb 9, 2011
Windows Live Movie Maker is pretty much trash, I would suggest trying one of these options:

OpenShot Video Editor | Simple, powerful, and free video editor for Linux!
Free/Libre Open-Source video editor under active development and supports layering!

News | t@b ZS4 Free Video Editing Software
Freeware video editor, a bit geeky but supports layers.

Regarding filetypes, as the other two above posts mention, you may need some codecs to play them - I'd personally recommend K-Lite Mega Codec Pack simply because it has everything:
Download K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 10.10 - FileHippo.com

If your using videos from the internet you may need to convert them as the guy above mentioned. There are many converters out there, but this one does just about any conversion known to man:
Download SUPER v2013 build 57 - FileHippo.com

Note For GNU/Linux users: OpenShot and WinFF are also quite useful. And developing media on a fully free system is much better than on Windows. :)

May 3, 2013
I use NERO, atubecatcher and other video converter.