Works and Salvation

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

turbosixx

Sep 16, 2023
While it is true that Abraham believed God, so it was counted to him as righteousness (Genesis 15:6), it is also true that he believed God, so he obeyed God's command to offer Isaac (Hebrews 11:17), so the same faith by which he was declared righteous was also expressed as being an obeyer of God, but he did not earn his righteousness as a wage as the result of his obedience (Romans 4). In James 2:21-24, he quoted Genesis 15:6 to support saying that Abraham was justified by his works when he offered Isaac, his faith was active along with his works, and his faith completed his works, so he was justified by his works insofar as they were expressing his faith, but not insofar as they were earning it as a wage.
I respectfully suggest you're still not telling me Paul's point from chapters 2-3 and how Abraham in chapter 4 proves the point. No need to go to other books, Paul gives plenty of detail in the context.

In Acts 21:20, they were rejoicing that tens of thousands of Jews were coming to faith who were all zealous for the Mosaic Law, which is in accordance with believing the Gospel that Christ taught in Matthew 4:15-23 to repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand and with believing in what Christ accomplished in Titus 2:14 in that he gave himself to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people of his own possession who are zealous for doing good works.
Once you see the point Paul is making, that will clear this up.

PaulThomson

Oct 29, 2023
You've done a marvelous job of confusing a simple issue.

Here's the simple version:

We don't get saved by our own effort, period.

Once we are saved, we are empowered by the Holy Spirit to participate in the work of the kingdom.
When is a gift not really a gift? When it is imposed upon someone without their prior consent,

If I slip someone a highly addictive drug that they could never afford to pay for, and provides it free of charge, without getting their prior consent, and they become addicted so that they subsequently want more, would that be a gift? They didn't get addicted by their own effort. Once addicted they wanted more of the same.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
When is a gift not really a gift? When it is imposed upon someone without their prior consent,

If I slip someone a highly addictive drug that they could never afford to pay for, and provides it free of charge, without getting their prior consent, and they become addicted so that they subsequently want more, would that be a gift? They didn't get addicted by their own effort. Once addicted they wanted more of the same.
I'm trying to understand how your example relates to the gift of salvation. :unsure:

PaulThomson

Oct 29, 2023
I'm trying to understand how your example relates to the gift of salvation. :unsure:
It's aimed at those who believe God regenerates before believing in Christ can begin. Maybe that's not you.