Works

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Do not say in your heart he who is saved by the grace afforded by the Only Begotten Son of Yahweh does not have works also. Anyone who teaches this is ignorant of the Word he claims to be sharing.
Does not common sense alone dictate anyone who is grateful for a gift will express his thanksgiving in word and deed?

Do not be afraid of works for we are not all called to be apostles, healers speakers in tongues, teachers or any other named work or gift of work in the Word. We who wait also serve, yes, waiting in hope for the return of our Lord with seemly behavior and conversation is works. Praying is works. Faith alone, although reckoned to each as works is not faith without other manifestations. Being thankful is works, for Yahweh prefers the "sacrifice" of thanksgiving over the blood of bull or goats.

Do not allow foolish and ignorant people who fancy themselves teachers to teach against works, for they are afraid of the word in deed. Do not be misled, faith without works is not faith at all, they are a package.

Below are just some of the references to works. They are in no particular order. I do not expect anyone to read through all of these, but I do expect them to be noted when reading all of the Word. A few give the teaching from the Apostle.

Rev 22:12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

1Pe 1:17 And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear:

Jas 1:25 But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

Heb 13:21 Make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is wellpleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Heb 6:10 For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister.

Tit 3:1 Put them in mind to be subject to principalities and powers, to obey magistrates, to be ready to every good work,

Tit 1:16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.

2Ti 4:5 But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.

2Ti 2:21 If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.

1Ti 5:10 Well reported of for good works; if she have brought up children, if she have lodged strangers, if she have washed the saints' feet, if she have relieved the afflicted, if she have diligently followed every good work.

1Ti 3:1 This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.

2Th 2:17 Comfort your hearts, and stablish you in every good word and work.

2Th 1:11 Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfil all the good pleasure of his goodness, and the work of faith with power:

1Th 5:13 And to esteem them very highly in love for their work's sake. And be at peace among yourselves.

1Th 1:3 Remembering without ceasing your work of faith, and labour of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ, in the sight of God and our Father;

Col 1:10 That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God;

Php 2:30 Because for the work of Christ he was nigh unto death, not regarding his life, to supply your lack of service toward me.

Php 2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

Eph 4:12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

Gal 6:4 But let every man prove his own work, and then shall he have rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another.

2Co 9:8 And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:

1Co 16:10 Now if Timotheus come, see that he may be with you without fear: for he worketh the work of the Lord, as I also do.

1Co 15:58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.

1Co 9:1 Am I not an apostle? am I not free? have I not seen Jesus Christ our Lord? are not ye my work in the Lord?

1Co 3:15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

1Co 3:14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.

1Co 3:13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.

Act 13:2 As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them.

Act 5:38 And now I say unto you, Refrain from these men, and let them alone: for if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to nought:

R

reject-tech

Works and salvation are inseparable, not based on each other.

brmicke

Sep 6, 2012

Galatians 2:19 For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God.
I saw this in your post this morning Least. I would like to comment on it please.

Paul was dead to the law because ...

The Phrase "through the law" Law illustrates that the law had taught Paul something ... What had the Law taught Paul?

The Law of Moses had led Paul to make a sacrifice after He violated or transgressed that Law. Well to keep from having to make a sacrifice a person learned to keep the Law. This is what the Law taught Paul. The law taught Paul to keep the laws of God or He would have to pay a penalty to be forgiven.

Paul had learned to keep the Laws of God and as a result He was dead to the disciplines of the Law and the sacrificial system. He was not violating the law but keeping it. He was not under the law (being disciplined by the law) Paul was under grace and being taught by that Grace to abstain from ungodliness or obey the Laws of God.

Grace (the thing that teaches us to abstain from ungodliness and keep the law of God) came through Christ.

So the Law was instituted by Moses and if a person sacrificed after they sinned they were forgiven for breaking the Laws of God, if a persons keeps the Law of Moses He would live, Rm 10:5 and Gal 3:12.

Ro 10:5 For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them.

The ability to obey the Law and not break it, and thereby avoid having to appeal to God through a sacrifice, came through Christ when He brought grace to us, titus 2:11-12.

Don't forget that in verse 17 Paul said that if a person was found a sinner while trying to be justified by Christ (trying to be justified by Christ is a "work" by the way) they were a transgressor (well sin is transgression of the Law). So if a person sins while trying to be justified by faith they still become a transgressor of the law. They then need to appeal to God through the sacrifice (Jesus) in order to be forgiven and again try to be justified by faith.

Being justified by faith and keeping the Law are seen to not oppose each other as Gal 2:17 illustrates. The law supports faith Romans 3:31.

Ro 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

In that verse the word translated establish means "to make to stand or support" or hold up. So Rm 3:31 is saying that faith supports or upholds the Law of Moses.

Ga 2:17 But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid.

Ga 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Ga 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Respectfully - Brian

Oct 31, 2011
I just wanted to point out that in the KJV it mentions works in the bible in 380 verses. I didn't read every one, but every one I saw spoke of works as necessary, as good, or as beautiful unless they were for the devil. Some point out we will be judged by our works. I don't think we fool God for a moment if we are working for other than in praise and worship of Him. Might be able to fool ourselves, but not God.

oldhermit

Jul 28, 2012
Alabama
There is an O.T. example that is often overlooked that I think is very pertinent to the understand of the importance of work in relationship to one's relationship to God. In Lev. chapters four and five, God repeatedly admonishes Israel that when they would bring their offerings to the altar, he would meet with them there and there he would forgive their sins. We know from Heb. 10:4 that those sacrifices themselves had no power to remove their sins yet, when they offered them as the Lord commanded, he would forgive them. Their sins were not forgiven of the foundation of the bulls and goats they offered but upon what those sacrifices represented. Thus, sin was certainly forgiven under the Law when they followed the commandments of the Lord but they were not forgiven by the Law.

L

Least

Here is another
1 John 3:8 KJV

(8) He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

Jesus came to destroy the works of the devil.

Great verse!

This reminds me of these passages as well.

Romans 16:19 For your obedience is come abroad unto all men. I am glad therefore on your behalf: but yet I would have you wise unto that which is good, and simple concerning evil.
Romans 16:20 And the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen.

1 Corinthians 15:27 For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him.
1 Corinthians 15:28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

Ephesians 1:20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,
Ephesians 1:22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,
Ephesians 1:23 Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

Hebrews 2:8 Thou hast put all things in subjection under his feet. For in that he put all in subjection under him, he left nothing that is not put under him. But now we see not yet all things put under him.

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
I just wanted to point out that in the KJV it mentions works in the bible in 380 verses. I didn't read every one, but every one I saw spoke of works as necessary, as good, or as beautiful unless they were for the devil. Some point out we will be judged by our works. I don't think we fool God for a moment if we are working for other than in praise and worship of Him. Might be able to fool ourselves, but not God.
Too shay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! truth, works are necessary, yet what works are thus needed for truth to stand, Flesh (self) works or God's Spirit working through us that believe God? It is by the resurrected Christ that we are born again in God's Spirit through the death first of self works with Christ at the cross.

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
There is an O.T. example that is often overlooked that I think is very pertinent to the understand of the importance of work in relationship to one's relationship to God. In Lev. chapters four and five, God repeatedly admonishes Israel that when they would bring their offerings to the altar, he would meet with them there and there he would forgive their sins. We know from Heb. 10:4 that those sacrifices themselves had no power to remove their sins yet, when they offered them as the Lord commanded, he would forgive them. Their sins were not forgiven of the foundation of the bulls and goats they offered but upon what those sacrifices represented. Thus, sin was certainly forgiven under the Law when they followed the commandments of the Lord but they were not forgiven by the Law.
before the cross forgiveness was conditional and only atoned for a short while, and each year had to gain more atonement.
Where as after the cross we are forgiven from God by God through Christ the Son of God once and for all that believe God
[h=3]Colossians 1:22[/h]Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

[SUP]22 [/SUP]in the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight:

John 1:29
The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

John 19:30
When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.
No matter which way it is sliced, diced and or cubed, truth is we have a before and after the cross!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Just a reminder, King David, among other notables of the Word, knew constant grace. If this were not so, how is it he wrote by the Holy Spirit the 32nd Psalm? Below the first few lines.

Psa 32:1
A Psalm of David. Maschil. Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, Whose sin is covered.

Psa 32:2
Blessed is the man unto whom Jehovah imputeth not iniquity, And in whose spirit there is no guile.

Psa 32:3
When I kept silence, my bones wasted away Through my groaning all the day long.

Psa 32:4
For day and night thy hand was heavy upon me: My moisture was changed as with the drought of summer. Selah.

Psa 32:5
I acknowledged my sin unto thee, And mine iniquity did I not hide: I said, I will confess my transgressions unto Jehovah; And thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah.

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
Just a reminder, King David, among other notables of the Word, knew constant grace. If this were not so, how is it he wrote by the Holy Spirit the 32nd Psalm? Below the first few lines.

Psa 32:1
A Psalm of David. Maschil. Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, Whose sin is covered.

Psa 32:2
Blessed is the man unto whom Jehovah imputeth not iniquity, And in whose spirit there is no guile.

Psa 32:3
When I kept silence, my bones wasted away Through my groaning all the day long.

Psa 32:4
For day and night thy hand was heavy upon me: My moisture was changed as with the drought of summer. Selah.

Psa 32:5
I acknowledged my sin unto thee, And mine iniquity did I not hide: I said, I will confess my transgressions unto Jehovah; And thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah.

The difference I see today is before the cross, God though the Holy Ghost visited them that believed God, never as of that time lived in them.
Today God lives in us because of Christ's death and resurrection. This is for us, Christ's death our death; Christ's life our life.
God comes to live in us, if we believe God, starts at the death were we are made Holy by Christ so God can live in us and eventually through us if we ask this knowing we can't do it, but God can and does. Is this not what Christ did, had God actually lived through Christ?
Colossians 1:22 in the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight:

So what do you think, would God want to just live in us or through us as God did through Christ?