You're in a prison for one year...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
You're in a prison for one year and given a choice of just ONE book of 66 books of the bible.
Which one would you choose and why?

My first reaction was Romans...the bible in a nutshell.

After some thought I think Psalms...more extensive and nearly the same content as Romans but with lots of worship!

Nov 13, 2012
Song of Solomon

Because they enjoyed fruit trays, waterfalls, mountain tops and groves so well.

mystdancer50

Feb 26, 2012
Mine would be Romans, too, because Romans 12 is my absolute favorite Scripture.

G

GreenNnice

Genesis, I want stories, the power of God 'moving' in the beginning and all the follows after that, I think a New Testament book would be encouraging, too, but, meh, don't need it, I believe in God and my faith is in Him, and, if I'm in prison for ONE year then I have a writers mind and I have the mind of Christ, Scripture tells me the latter in 1 Cor. 2 :>) , and, I tell me the formerand, God's shown me 'writing,' too. :D .

So, that would be a good book to learn all the stories of and then get outta prison and preach to the world every one of those stories in great detail, showing them the divine providence, like Joseph's story, and movement, like hovering over the waters, of God. The power of God. God ! God ! God ! It's great ! The power of God is so great, I want IT with me everywhere and Him.
Good thread idea, crossnoted :)

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
I would have to go with Psalms. I've been reading them every day for about 10 years now. I would miss the Psalms too much. But my secret is that I am memorizing a lot of Romans. So I would have that hidden in my heart! I would also like to memorize Ephesians, but not quite there.

T_Laurich

Mar 24, 2013
1John, in there you can see what Christianity should do in your life...

Yahshua

Sep 22, 2013
Gospel of John. Christ explains so much. I'm still learning new things from that book.

L

letti

Psalms,I love all of the Bible but psalms is a favorite of mine.

R

RachelBibleStudent

i find this question troubling actually...the thought of getting only one book of the bible and having to lose all of the other sixty-five books...to me that is a very upsetting thought... :(

while i am not planning to ever go to prison...maybe this is telling me to learn more of the scriptures by heart...

Yahshua

Sep 22, 2013
i find this question troubling actually...the thought of getting only one book of the bible and having to lose all of the other sixty-five books...to me that is a very upsetting thought... :(

while i am not planning to ever go to prison...maybe this is telling me to learn more of the scriptures by heart...

Great point! Now that I think about it...the reason why I chose Gospel of John is because for much of what Christ says in it I can recall other passages from other books (whether it's prophecy being fulfilled or quotes Christ gives, etc.). So it's also like a reference for me for many other books.

Feb 17, 2010
The ONE God wants me to have there! (That is ALL). He said He will write it on my heart, So I need NONE! And yet I will have ALL!

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
Now that is a question indeed.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012

Sorry,the question was birthed out of being constantly drilled by my dad as a child "if you were stranded on a desert Island and had only one thing..." :)
I guess we do somewhat take after our parents :(

A

arb71

Yikes...hopefully, I never have to go to prison, but if I do I choose the Book of Psalms. It's so encouraging, has the most chapters and covers everything!

Dec 21, 2012
You're in a prison for one year and given a choice of just ONE book of 66 books of the bible.
Which one would you choose and why?
Joseph's story in Genesis 37-50 gives a hopeful perspective on prison life.

Gen 39:21 ¶ But the LORD was with Joseph, and shewed him mercy, and gave him favour in the sight of the keeper of the prison.

Mar 10, 2013
My choice is Psalms.

why? Because I believe this book has the most to offer in the way of comfort to my fellow prisoners