Afraid of the Holy Spirit?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 4, 2024
Hello Burn1986.
You mentioned repeating the name of Jesus over and over again in prayer and waiting for His presence. May I ask what scripture backs this advice?
I am aware of the scripture which states ask and it will be answered u to you, seek and you will find, knock and the door will be opened. However, Jesus specifically told the disciples when teaching them how to pray, "when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think they shall be heard for their much speaking..." Matthew 6:7-15.
Dont be stupid. So praying the name of Jesus is a vain repetition? My gosh, what kind of people are on this forum? Brian do you even pray?

Here some new advice for you (THERE’S NO SCRIPTURE FOR THIS)
If you see alligators in a pond, don’t jump in.

That was free, bro.

Mar 4, 2024
Hello blueluna. You have mentioned being very spiritual, dreams, astral projection, ect. Much of what you speak about has a New Age vibe to it. May I ask you where you learned of these things?
Over the years I have heard many speak of being very spiritually minded, and yet they have learned most if not all of this from occult teachings. The Bible is rife with warnings against witchcraft, sorcery, and necromancy. All three of these delve into that which is called spiritual matters. However, these are not of God. They are from evil spirits, demons and devils.
1 John 1-6
"Beloved, believe not every spirit, bit try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. Hereby ye know the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesses the Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: and every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already it is in the world. Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome thrm: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world. They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world hearers them. We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hearby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error."
Look, you don’t have to say “May I ask you…” Just ask. Quite being a wimpy tattle tell.

Sep 17, 2018
Look, you don’t have to say “May I ask you…” Just ask. Quite being a wimpy tattle tell.
Do you mean tattle tale? Which is when one tells on another?
If you're going to be such a #@$% to people at least use words you won't screw up.

Apr 21, 2021
Just repeat the name Jesus over and over in prayer and then sit quietly and wait for His presence. He may quicken a scripture to you or put something/someone in your heart to pray for. Your mind will wonder and your flesh will want to get up and go write a letter to someone, or you’ll get really sleepy. This is what we all need to work on.
Sounds like Buddhist meditation, or Transcendental Meditation.

Mar 4, 2024
Sounds like Buddhist meditation, or Transcendental Meditation.
Well the Bible says Jesus is a great stumbling block. The one target of the Pharisees was Jesus. The reaction of the Pharisees to Jesus was anger and ridicule. Once He was gone the Pharisees went after His followers. They also ridiculed them until they could kill them.

Apr 21, 2021
Well the Bible says Jesus is a great stumbling block. The one target of the Pharisees was Jesus. The reaction of the Pharisees to Jesus was anger and ridicule. Once He was gone the Pharisees went after His followers. They also ridiculed them until they could kill them.
That's fine, but I didn't say anything about Jesus or his followers; only a particular variety of meditation.

Mar 4, 2024
That's fine, but I didn't say anything about Jesus or his followers; only a particular variety of meditation.
I challenge anyone who refuses to call on the name of Jesus not just once but as many times as it takes. The Bible says in Phil 2:10-11 “10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, 11 and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.”

This means every spirit demon principality and every force which is disctracting or tormenting a person. Calling on name of Jesus invites/ brings His presence and dispels any darkness or other presence. Because 2 Cor 3:17 says “Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.” - That means liberty from depressing, hopeless, dark, evil thoughts as well as bringing hopeful, encouraging, joyful thoughts and spiritual discernment and the “mind of Christ”.

Most Christians don’t pray, much less think about communicating with Jesus. This is the reason someone would accuse it of something demonic or New Age(ish).

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
When a new guy sails in and starts lambasting everybody, you have to wonder what brought him here...

Want forum was he most recently kicked out of?

What was the final straw that made them finally kick him out?

How many forums has he been kicked out of total?

How long on average does he last on each forum?

Mar 4, 2024
When a new guy sails in and starts lambasting everybody, you have to wonder what brought him here...

Want forum was he most recently kicked out of?

What was the final straw that made them finally kick him out?

How many forums has he been kicked out of total?

How long on average does he last on each forum?
Can you give me a scripture reference for what you saying please?

Btw, it takes one to know one lol. I think you’re an even bigger donkey than I am, and that’s saying something. You’re just kind of one note though. I haven’t noticed you responding to any prayer requests, or contributing anything of a spiritual nature - just arguing.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Can you give me a scripture reference for what you saying please?

Btw, it takes one to know one lol. I think you’re an even bigger donkey than I am, and that’s saying something. You’re just kind of one note though. I haven’t noticed you responding to any prayer requests, or contributing anything of a spiritual nature - just arguing.
Sure thing mate.

Rom 16:17. Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

And you must be using a filter that screens out a LOT of the forum. Check my post history.