Leading communion... Never done anything like this before.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Jassy

May 15, 2024
I don't know if this belongs here but can't really find a forum for this.

So today I went to church, it was good. We did fellowship after church as usual and well today one of the church members came up to me and said "I am really excited to hear you speak" I was confused. I asked her "I'm sorry what do you mean?" Anyway long story short I have been added to the church roster. We have different responsibilities and well in two weeks time I am supposed to be leading communion. Noone asked me, I did not request this, I feel as if I have been thrown into the deep end. I spoke to our lead pastor and he said "you are ready for this but I was under the impression you had already agreed to this" I said ok I will do it but please can someone help guide me through it as I have only spoken once in front of the church and I couldn't even stand up let alone look anyone in the eye while I was talking.

How do I build up the courage to do this? I asked my parents if they could attend church that day as moral support and I know when I was a kid I used to want to do this. Now it's a reality and I feel completely helpless.

Other than pray how can I prepare myself for the public speaking side of this?? I have massive anxiety, I have grown up in this church. But still feel like a child everytime I walk through those doors.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I'd bail.

Nobody's paying you to do this.

They threw you into this without even asking you. NOT cool.

I'd bail now, while they still have time to replace you in that slot. Better than freezing and crashing in front of a whole church, and they have to rescue you hastily.

I would RESPECTFULLY bail, of course. But I would definitely not do this under these circumstances.

And again, nobody's paying you to do this.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
A Holy calling is not a job.
True, it looks like it was dumped on Jassy without asking, not cool at all.
Do it like this and watch healing take place.

I and many others receive healing this way.
best wishes

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
I don't know if this belongs here but can't really find a forum for this.

So today I went to church, it was good. We did fellowship after church as usual and well today one of the church members came up to me and said "I am really excited to hear you speak" I was confused. I asked her "I'm sorry what do you mean?" Anyway long story short I have been added to the church roster. We have different responsibilities and well in two weeks time I am supposed to be leading communion. Noone asked me, I did not request this, I feel as if I have been thrown into the deep end. I spoke to our lead pastor and he said "you are ready for this but I was under the impression you had already agreed to this" I said ok I will do it but please can someone help guide me through it as I have only spoken once in front of the church and I couldn't even stand up let alone look anyone in the eye while I was talking.

How do I build up the courage to do this? I asked my parents if they could attend church that day as moral support and I know when I was a kid I used to want to do this. Now it's a reality and I feel completely helpless.

Other than pray how can I prepare myself for the public speaking side of this?? I have massive anxiety, I have grown up in this church. But still feel like a child everytime I walk through those doors.
What do you mean when you say: "Anyway long story short I have been added to the church roster. We have different responsibilities . . ."? Does everyone get added to the roster at some point? Did you know you would eventually be given some responsibility? If it's still two weeks away maybe someone was supposed to tell you but they just haven't done it yet.

I don't know what kind of church you attend, but the ones I've been to it's basically pretty simple. Someone reads a scripture passage that has something to do with the Lord's supper; then might offer a short prayer. Maybe yours is more involved, I don't know.

Jassy

May 15, 2024
What do you mean when you say: "Anyway long story short I have been added to the church roster. We have different responsibilities . . ."? Does everyone get added to the roster at some point? Did you know you would eventually be given some responsibility? If it's still two weeks away maybe someone was supposed to tell you but they just haven't done it yet.

I don't know what kind of church you attend, but the ones I've been to it's basically pretty simple. Someone reads a scripture passage that has something to do with the Lord's supper; then might offer a short prayer. Maybe yours is more involved, I don't know.

Well I'm not exactly sure about how the church roster works, but I usually just lend a helping hand like setting up creche area, tidying it up sometimes I help vaccum when my children give me the time to do it. The church roster has things like cleaning, gatekeeping, worship, communion, leading share time and pastor/minster lead studies. No I wasn't aware I would be added to it eventually. I was just helping where I could. I've been helping out at the youth group they do and doing what I can there.

I am going to speak to my pastor today about it, and go from there. I know there are plenty of people who don't do it. I think it's because I am currently doing admin work experience there. The pastor who does the roster was under the impression I had been asked and said yes. They do have an alternate if I am not ready.

It feels weird. I have been having anxiety over it, I don't want to crash and burn. But like I said I've set up a meeting today to get more information.. I'll make a decision today.

Jassy

May 15, 2024
Thanks for the video

I'll watch it after school drop off. No I know it's not a job, it's just what if I get up and I crash and burn??

I have basically grown up in this church and I don't know it just feels so weird. I take my children to this church but I never thought I would be the one speaking up in front of anyone. As a kid I wanted to be a minister/pastor so badly. However the doors were always shut in my face. Now I am almost 30 and suddenly it's all open to me. However years of bullying and abuse have taken there toll on me and public speaking doesn't feel safe. I know I won't get heckled, but the feeling of getting up in front of everyone is like this huge pressure on my chest. My uncle is going to call me later today he's a minister himself and he said he will talk to me about it in depth so I have more of an understanding of it.

I know being guided through it will be a big help but I also feel like I'll let everyone down if I don't.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Thanks for the video

I'll watch it after school drop off. No I know it's not a job, it's just what if I get up and I crash and burn??

I have basically grown up in this church and I don't know it just feels so weird. I take my children to this church but I never thought I would be the one speaking up in front of anyone. As a kid I wanted to be a minister/pastor so badly. However the doors were always shut in my face. Now I am almost 30 and suddenly it's all open to me. However years of bullying and abuse have taken there toll on me and public speaking doesn't feel safe. I know I won't get heckled, but the feeling of getting up in front of everyone is like this huge pressure on my chest. My uncle is going to call me later today he's a minister himself and he said he will talk to me about it in depth so I have more of an understanding of it.

I know being guided through it will be a big help but I also feel like I'll let everyone down if I don't.
So long as the crackers get eaten and the juice gets drunk....you will have accomplished the task.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
I'm not good at speaking before a crowd, either. I've gotten a little better at it.... through just doing it. Get your thoughts in order... write them down if you have to, and just read them. When speaking, imagine you are speaking to only one person, someone you are comfortable with, like your parents....
My biggest issue was when I tried to just talk about stuff.... that's where the writing it down and reading it really helps. You know what you want to say.... if you read it off, you get it all said.
Don't stress over this.... it's a wonderful time of fellowship and declaring to everyone what Jesus did for us.... you will do just fine.
And the next time will be SO much easier, because.... "hey, I've done this before...."

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Heard from a lady who had difficulty with public speaking, she imagined standing at the edge of the garden speaking to cabbage heads, it helped.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Heard from a lady who had difficulty with public speaking, she imagined standing at the edge of the garden speaking to cabbage heads, it helped.
Big smile here! Thank you Shittim.