Religious Tithing

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
To me, tithing is a spiritual law. It started with Adams and Eve's family offering first fruits to God as in honor, thanksgiving and love. I also include helping the homeless, Psa 41 speaks of the benefits of that. I can honestly say I receive miraculous blessings in many different ways and I've seen others who tithe blessed in highly favored ways also. As with Cain, no one should tithe if it's not from the heart.
I’ve seen people who don’t tithe blessed in highly favoured ways. I’ve also seen pastors attribute blessings to tithing but when non-tithers get blessed, the pastors have nothing to say. It’s called confirmation bias. ;)

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
We're not under Abraham, we're under Christ.
And when Abraham tithed, his faith was in whom?

By faith we are of Abraham's lineage.

"Therefore He who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you, does He do it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?— 6 just as Abraham “believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.” 7 Therefore know that only those who are of faith are sons of Abraham. 8 And the Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel to Abraham beforehand, saying, “In you all the nations shall be blessed.” 9 So then those who are of faith are blessed with believing Abraham."

And further:

And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.

This is not a natural lineage. It is a spiritual one. So, we can understand the culture of faith ("Abraham believed God and it was counted to him as righteousness") by examining the actions of Abraham and Isaac and Jacob. Actually, the Book of Hebrews Chapter 11 takes us back to righteous Abel for understanding.

The wisdom of this is lost on the the Western church.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
To give or not to give? Glad God didn't pause on this question.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
To give or not to give? Glad God didn't pause on this question.
“Giving” has nothing to do with “tithing”. That’s an erroneous conflation many Christians make.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
“Giving” has nothing to do with “tithing”. That’s an erroneous conflation many Christians make.
This topic seems to resonate with you alot. While I agree with what you stated, any giving should be lauded. Nothing belongs to us anyway. We are but humble stewards.

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
I’ve seen people who don’t tithe blessed in highly favoured ways. I’ve also seen pastors attribute blessings to tithing but when non-tithers get blessed, the pastors have nothing to say. It’s called confirmation bias. ;)
When the widow gave her mite to the Temple treasury, Jesus approved because it was done out of obedience and honor. He was of course looking at her heart. While I agree that no one has to tithe or give out of their funds, it is certainly mentioned in the NT to help the poor and also support the Church. I like to attribute my outright miraculous blessings to the Lord, while at the same time appreciate the fact others may gain treasures by hard work, luck and/or monopolies. I have no argument here but to your comment on post #91 about it takes no faith to tithe, in my case at times, it absolutely does, lol.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
This topic seems to resonate with you alot. While I agree with what you stated, any giving should be lauded. Nothing belongs to us anyway. We are but humble stewards.
I agree.

Yes, this topic does resonate with me because I have seen firsthand the damage that is done to Christians by leaders who promote “tithing”. I bristle when I hear someone say, “tithes” or “tithes and offerings” in the context of the local church… because at best it is incorrect and at worst it is controlling, neither of which have any place.

Mar 4, 2024
We're not under Abraham, we're under Christ.
Why would Jesus make references to Abraham, specifically to the Saducees indicating that Abraham Isaac and Jacob were living and in Heaven with God? Also, why would Jesus meet with Abraham and Elijah on the Mount if Transfiguration? Jesus came to Fulfill the law, meaning that He would live His life through Christians fulfilling the law. Not completely discounting the law. You won’t go to Hell for not tithing, but there are benefits to tithing. If a church demands a tithe, then you need to question if you should remain at that church. Tithing is 100% voluntary just like giving. Also, a person should hear God for themselves on where to tithe and/or give. God is not telling us to give to literally every ministry.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Also, why would Jesus meet with Abraham and Elijah on the Mount if Transfiguration?
He met with Moses, not Abraham.

Jesus came to Fulfill the law, meaning that He would live His life through Christians fulfilling the law.
Scripture doesn’t say that or anything like it.

You won’t go to Hell for not tithing, but there are benefits to tithing.
Such as?

Tithing is 100% voluntary just like giving.
Under the covenant of Law, tithing was not voluntary. Under the covenant of the blood of Jesus, tithing is only mentioned in a historical context, in only one passage, which is not directive.

God is not telling us to give to literally every ministry.
Well… we agree on something! :)

Burn1986

Mar 4, 2024
He met with Moses, not Abraham.

Scripture doesn’t say that or anything like it.

Such as?

Under the covenant of Law, tithing was not voluntary. Under the covenant of the blood of Jesus, tithing is only mentioned in a historical context, in only one passage, which is not directive.

Well… we agree on something! :)
I was wrong on Abraham instead of Moses.

Jesus Himself said in Matt 5:17 “Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill.”

Benefits of tithing Malachi 3:10 “Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.”

But that’s in the Old Testament which according to you is null and void.

Divorce is also part of the law, so is it okay to get divorced? Why was divorce mentioned in the Bible?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Jesus Himself said in Matt 5:17 “Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill.”
Yes... and He did fulfill the Law. It is now obsolete, according to Hebrews 8:13.

Benefits of tithing Malachi 3:10 “Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.”
"For as many as the promises of God are, in Him they are yes" 2 Corinthians 1:20 (NASB). The promised blessing is through Christ, not through obedience to the Law.

But that’s in the Old Testament which according to you is null and void.
Quote me where I wrote that... or apologize for your blatant dishonesty.

Divorce is also part of the law, so is it okay to get divorced? Why was divorce mentioned in the Bible?
Is divorce clearly addressed in the epistles? Yes. Is tithing as a requirement, recommendation or even suggestion? No.

Burn1986

Mar 4, 2024
Yes... and He did fulfill the Law. It is now obsolete, according to Hebrews 8:13.

"For as many as the promises of God are, in Him they are yes" 2 Corinthians 1:20 (NASB). The promised blessing is through Christ, not through obedience to the Law.

Quote me where I wrote that... or apologize for your blatant dishonesty.

Is divorce clearly addressed in the epistles? Yes. Is tithing as a requirement, recommendation or even suggestion? No.
Have you sought God on tithing, before crusading against it in front of your followers? Why are you so against it.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Have you sought God on tithing, before crusading against it in front of your followers? Why are you so against it.
Yes… back when I believed as you do but heard ridiculous misrepresentations of Scripture from various pastors and speakers. I did my homework and the Lord revealed the truth to me.

I stand against the misuse of the term ‘tithing’ and the erroneous teaching that tithing is in any way required or recommended of Christians.

Burn1986

Mar 4, 2024
Yes… back when I believed as you do but heard ridiculous misrepresentations of Scripture from various pastors and speakers. I did my homework and the Lord revealed the truth to me.

I stand against the misuse of the term ‘tithing’ and the erroneous teaching that tithing is in any way required or recommended of Christians.
Required by whom? Were you in a church that “required” tithing? We both know that’s not right. Did God reveal the truth to you by your observance of the church you were in, or did He give you a specific scripture?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Required by whom? Were you in a church that “required” tithing? We both know that’s not right. Did God reveal the truth to you by your observance of the church you were in, or did He give you a specific scripture?
The church I was in taught (on this subject) a combination of biased testimony, emotional manipulation and distortions of Scripture. They ‘required’ it for membership.

I studied Scripture, prayed, and sought out everything I could find on the subject. Every argument I came across in favour of it incorporated one or more factual errors, hermeneutical errors, or plain fallacies; none was sound. In contrast, the (best) arguments against it were consistent, biblically sound, and free from errors and fallacies. The Lord spoke clearly to me.

Burn1986

Mar 4, 2024
The church I was in taught (on this subject) a combination of biased testimony, emotional manipulation and distortions of Scripture. They ‘required’ it for membership.

I studied Scripture, prayed, and sought out everything I could find on the subject. Every argument I came across in favour of it incorporated one or more factual errors, hermeneutical errors, or plain fallacies; none was sound. In contrast, the (best) arguments against it were consistent, biblically sound, and free from errors and fallacies. The Lord spoke clearly to me.
Well, the church was wrong. You heard God right about that church, and any church that requires a tithe. That’s just insane. In fact it’s a mirror of the Pharisees. But tithing itself is not wrong. Sounds like you were in a pretty toxic church.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Well, the church was wrong. You heard God right about that church, and any church that requires a tithe. That’s just insane. In fact it’s a mirror of the Pharisees. But tithing itself is not wrong. Sounds like you were in a pretty toxic church.
It was indeed toxic, and sadly it took me a long time to accept it. You and I disagree on tithing, but I appreciate your conciliatory tone. :)

Edify

Jan 27, 2021
I agree with Dino that "tithing" is one of those things that the church has taken out of context. The teaching of it is nowhere in the NT.
That said, My daughter & her husband 'tithe' by setting aside 10% to give to those in need, in or out of the church.
They are blessed, not because not because they're 'tithing', but because they give gladly for the Lord, not because they follow the OT.
God loves a cheerful giver, no matter what name you call the offering.:)