Understanding the bible in it's ancient near eastern context

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
May 13, 2024
New here, and never created anything like this before. Let me attempt to explain the topic and the intent behind it;

This is for those who are curious what the bible has to say on it's own terms, free of opinion, creed, doctrine, translation issues etc. Just wanting to learn about the experience of those who lived in the ancient near east, the language (semantic range and all).

Often times people bring an idea to the bible, and use the bible to confirm that idea. Often times people bring a doctrine that is much less younger than the ancient near eastern biblical writings and it has led to misunderstanding the bible. Often times people consider a certain english translation and certain english word meanings to be succinct when it has nothing to do with reading the bible on it's own terms (the context, the original language etc).

The idea isn't to create a combative zone here as some forums have demonstrated can happen. Instead to foster and promote healthy and peaceful conversation focused on what the bible has to say on it's own terms, understanding the ancient near eastern context and original language.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
...what the bible has to say on it's own terms, understanding the ancient near eastern context and original language.
That is not the purpose of the Bible. Here is what the Bible says about itself: All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. (2 Tim 3:16,17) So everything else is secondary.

Niki7

Feb 21, 2023
The idea isn't to create a combative zone here as some forums have demonstrated can happen. Instead to foster and promote healthy and peaceful conversation focused on what the bible has to say on it's own terms, understanding the ancient near eastern context and original language.
How about a sample then of what it is you are thinking of?

May 13, 2024
How do you view the bible?

Ever find yourself flipping through the pages trying to find a verse that supports an idea, ony
That is not the purpose of the Bible. Here is what the Bible says about itself: All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. (2 Tim 3:16,17) So everything else is secondary.
Hello, thanks for the reply; the bible was not written in english, nor was it written with many of the world views people have today that are imprinted onto the bible; Not that everyone does this; However the function here is to simply, kindly, peacefully consider exploring that aspect; To pause and reflect if one will and dig a little deeper, some of the words and meanings get lost at times as the centuries and translations roll by. It may not be for everyone, but for people who want to pause and reflect, it's a welcome invite; A curiosity at best; Thanks again!

May 13, 2024
How about a sample then of what it is you are thinking of?
Ok, so this can go many ways, but first, thanks for taking the time to reply and ask the question; I'm by no means a qualified guide, lol, just a curious fellow who has come to understand we have the ability with today's tools to dig deeper than one could before; Deeper into the original language and explore past translations and centuries of proposed ideas, some imprinted onto the bible that may not have always been there, or got lost in translation;

So consider patterns and design as an example, things that english won't allow anyone to pick up on; Like the first chapter or so of the bible itself; There's a pattern, in creation, 3 realms are created, then 3 realms are populated; It may sound simple, but it starts something of a ongoing pattern that can only be built upon by understanding the ancient near eastern writing and the hebrew language;

That's just touching a tiny portion, but before I go further, does it make sense?

How many people read Genesis 1 and see three realms being created, then three realms being populated and then what stems from that? How many people slow down enough and go, wait, there's even more, look at the details?

Or is it, well God created stuff in 6 days, and here we are?

So then fast forward to the time of Noah, and in hebrew you will see that the flood was a reversal of what happened during creation, in hebrew and ancient near eastern context, part of what was created in Gen 1, was uncreated in the story of Noah; and it fits, in hebrew, but gets missed in english; I find it fascinating, something to ponder; I don't offer to anyone what it might mean to them, but I think it creates a more interwoven view of the story for sure!

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Deeper into the original language and explore past translations and centuries of proposed ideas, some imprinted onto the bible that may not have always been there, or got lost in translation;
IMO these types of threads are based on the premises that God is not powerful enough to protect His Written Word from mistranslations, wrong interpretations, or outright falsehoods being added to it. See, my God is more than powerful enough to keep His Written Word as He intended it to be received.

That, and the fact that He sent the Holy Spirit to teach all who believe the meaning of Scripture. Me thinks the Holy Spirit is well aware of the original languages (Greek, Hebrew) and all the languages the Bible has been translated into. I believe He is fully capable of revealing to Sanctified Believers the true meaning of every word written in Gods Holy Word.

But, hey, you can have your fun revealing what the Holy Spirit has not revealed to those of us who lean on Him for understanding of Scripture. :)

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
New here, and never created anything like this before. Let me attempt to explain the topic and the intent behind it;

This is for those who are curious what the bible has to say on it's own terms, free of opinion, creed, doctrine, translation issues etc. Just wanting to learn about the experience of those who lived in the ancient near east, the language (semantic range and all).

Often times people bring an idea to the bible, and use the bible to confirm that idea. Often times people bring a doctrine that is much less younger than the ancient near eastern biblical writings and it has led to misunderstanding the bible. Often times people consider a certain english translation and certain english word meanings to be succinct when it has nothing to do with reading the bible on it's own terms (the context, the original language etc).

Hello.
I appreciate your open mind but is there anything you'd like to discuss about your understanding of the Bible?

May 13, 2024
There's so much wonder in it's design and purpose. You know something pretty cool happened on the road to emmaus, I appreciate how coy Jesus is here, like he didn't know what just happened to himself, lol, but then he goes on and does something incredible, he explains how the entire tanak points to him - these well studied disciples, needed their eyes open to this; So I see a sense of humour and a great and profound take on how to look at the tanak, looking for Jesus in it all; it's so fascinating.

notmyown

May 26, 2016
Ok, so this can go many ways, but first, thanks for taking the time to reply and ask the question; I'm by no means a qualified guide, lol, just a curious fellow who has come to understand we have the ability with today's tools to dig deeper than one could before; Deeper into the original language and explore past translations and centuries of proposed ideas, some imprinted onto the bible that may not have always been there, or got lost in translation;

So consider patterns and design as an example, things that english won't allow anyone to pick up on; Like the first chapter or so of the bible itself; There's a pattern, in creation, 3 realms are created, then 3 realms are populated; It may sound simple, but it starts something of a ongoing pattern that can only be built upon by understanding the ancient near eastern writing and the hebrew language;

That's just touching a tiny portion, but before I go further, does it make sense?

How many people read Genesis 1 and see three realms being created, then three realms being populated and then what stems from that? How many people slow down enough and go, wait, there's even more, look at the details?

So then fast forward to the time of Noah, and in hebrew you will see that the flood was a reversal of what happened during creation, in hebrew and ancient near eastern context, part of what was created in Gen 1, was uncreated in the story of Noah; and it fits, in hebrew, but gets missed in english; I find it fascinating, something to ponder; I don't offer to anyone what it might mean to them, but I think it creates a more interwoven view of the story for sure!
the flood story is huge! there's so much there we can spend a lifetime making the connections to the rest of the Bible, even just in English. :)

the entire Bible is a beautifully woven tapestry that reflects the wisdom and greatness of the Author.

Niki7

Feb 21, 2023

well I would say that God definitely created in a pattern....and I've thought about it all often enough....

I'm not sure how far I would go discussing all that in a forum, not really knowing anyone here (although the disagreeable people have a way of impressing themselves on you haha)

I will say I lean towards the world before this one though which makes me pretty much a heretic for many here :eek:

I always thought that though even when I was a child because to me, that's the way it seems to read

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
The Torah has multiple levels it is written on...
There is of course symbolism and types set up as well as for many not so plain things that are that way because we are 5700 years after it was written.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Ever find yourself flipping through the pages trying to find a verse that supports an idea,
If you have Strong's Concordance online, if you enter just one relevant word in the space, it will show you verses with that word. There are also other Bible study tools,
Hello, thanks for the reply; the bible was not written in english,
That makes absolutely no difference. God already knew it would be translated into many languages. But a faithful translation like the KJB will give you a faithful rendering and that is all that matters.
nor was it written with many of the world views people have today that are imprinted onto the bible;
That is completely false. A faithful translation is just that -- a faithful translation. Not something else.