11 year old only christian in her family. Family confusing her on homosexuality

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

shlee1114

11 year old only christian in her family. I need help on how to help her regarding homosexuality.

I will try to make this as simple as possible. I am a young christian married woman with two kids and a wonderful husband. On my side of the family the only other Christians are my parents, at least until recently. Last year my then 10 year old cousin gave her life to Christ at the Harvest Crusade in SoCal. Her parents are very much not Christians. I know that my aunt believes the typical God exists and all morally good people go to heaven bid. My uncle Im not sure even believe he exists at all but if he does its the same bid. So my cousin has been opening her bible and doing her devotions of her own accord at her home. Praise God! What ten year old has that kind of discipline? I know I didn't. Recently she came to me with a question regarding homosexuality as her mother tried telling her she cant love her uncle and grandma (on her dads side) who are gay. I immediately reassured her she didn't have to stop loving them at all! And I tried explaining to the best of my ability to an 11 year old that she still needed to stand her ground however that God does in fact say it is a sin however. I explained she (not that she was trying to) and everyone else cant pick and choose parts of the bible they agree or dont agree with. Ok so to get to my questions, up until this point her parents have been kinda "whatever" about her pursuing Christianity. But now that these things are heating up I can feel the tension in the air regarding these particular issues. I am afraid they wont allow her to see me or go to church anymore. Lately on facebook both her parents have been posting various memes, pictures, articles regarding in anything from the typical "I support Gay Marriage" which I just ignore to using bible verses out of context which I feel I need to address and stand up for. Her dad who is such a quiet easy going guy usually just posted this on his feed addressed, "To all the fake Christians!!!"

Pastor Just Said Something That Blew His Entire Congregation Away... Wow.

I feel like I need to respond to this. Am I crazy? Even if I dont respond what if he asks me in person since I am teaching his daughter what my response is to his or similar questions? I am not good with words. I know the bible states that its a sin, I know that this article is invalid but these kinds of questions like the one about stonning for divorce are asked all the time and used against us...how do I defend that? What if they go to her with verses talking about stoning people over things like this? How do I explain that to an 11 year old? She is coming over tomorrow and I want to talk with her more in person about these things and how they can be strewed out of context but I dont know what to say

PLEASE HELP :(

M

MyLighthouse

First start off with a list of what God says and what man says, and the whole that Gods ways are higher. Explain to her what marriage is for and why God created it. Tell her as you have how you can still care for a person without supporting their sin. Use examples that she can relate to that will help her see it better.

A

atwhatcost

Post this on FB.

Let them see the sad reality of what they're promoting.

Mar 18, 2011
Sodom- sodomy. Sin is rebellion to God. There is no gray area. What humans decree "this is worse than that, or this isn't so bad" I would say to who? to a twisted, warped and blind human being? surely to a righteous and perfect God all sin is to the same effect- separation from God.

The issue on gay marriage is that it's more of a national removal of God. One more step for the "great whore" to declare her rebellion from the Most High God.

The LGBT come across as the small and weak "victim" but in reality they are large and powerful. Soon bible believing christians will be outlaws. Our very existence will be an offense to the civil rights of a nationally protected peoples. This is less about protecting homosexuality as it is an attack on true Christianity.

Sodom= Sodomy. It's pretty clear what God's judgement is on a peoples who embrace rebellion. It's time for all of us to pray to God and heed His instructions. I think everyone should head for the hills. That's what God led me and my brothers and sisters to do and that's what we did. Our lives have grown exponentially in Christ and we are reaffirmed every day that not only is this where God led us but we need to be spreading the word that it's time to fly. On that note if anyone feels God is calling them to "head for the hills" and you don't know where to go- contact me, you are more than welcome here with us.

G

Gr8grace

You need to confront her Mom And Dad and ask if you can inform the child of your beliefs.

We cannot intrude on another families privacy and authority. Her mom and dad are her authority and God has planted her there. He knew she was going to be there and allowed it. And they are her authority.

You need to ask mom and dads permission to teach this girl.

Mar 18, 2011
I disagree with Gr8grace. No authority usurps God's authority.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
11 year old only christian in her family. I need help on how to help her regarding homosexuality.

I will try to make this as simple as possible. I am a young christian married woman with two kids and a wonderful husband. On my side of the family the only other Christians are my parents, at least until recently. Last year my then 10 year old cousin gave her life to Christ at the Harvest Crusade in SoCal. Her parents are very much not Christians. I know that my aunt believes the typical God exists and all morally good people go to heaven bid. My uncle Im not sure even believe he exists at all but if he does its the same bid. So my cousin has been opening her bible and doing her devotions of her own accord at her home. Praise God! What ten year old has that kind of discipline? I know I didn't. Recently she came to me with a question regarding homosexuality as her mother tried telling her she cant love her uncle and grandma (on her dads side) who are gay. I immediately reassured her she didn't have to stop loving them at all! And I tried explaining to the best of my ability to an 11 year old that she still needed to stand her ground however that God does in fact say it is a sin however. I explained she (not that she was trying to) and everyone else cant pick and choose parts of the bible they agree or dont agree with. Ok so to get to my questions, up until this point her parents have been kinda "whatever" about her pursuing Christianity. But now that these things are heating up I can feel the tension in the air regarding these particular issues. I am afraid they wont allow her to see me or go to church anymore. Lately on facebook both her parents have been posting various memes, pictures, articles regarding in anything from the typical "I support Gay Marriage" which I just ignore to using bible verses out of context which I feel I need to address and stand up for. Her dad who is such a quiet easy going guy usually just posted this on his feed addressed, "To all the fake Christians!!!"

I feel like I need to respond to this. Am I crazy? Even if I dont respond what if he asks me in person since I am teaching his daughter what my response is to his or similar questions? I am not good with words. I know the bible states that its a sin, I know that this article is invalid but these kinds of questions like the one about stonning for divorce are asked all the time and used against us...how do I defend that? What if they go to her with verses talking about stoning people over things like this? How do I explain that to an 11 year old? She is coming over tomorrow and I want to talk with her more in person about these things and how they can be strewed out of context but I dont know what to say

Just addressing the link. God does hate divorce and we are not to condone it...especially institutionalize it. There are consequences to a homosexual lifestyle..think Sodom and Gomorrah.
And lastly, we are to share the Gospel and try to help the homosexual but we are not to condone the practice.

G

Gr8grace

I disagree with Gr8grace. No authority usurps God's authority.
You agree and just don't know it.

God has a divine institution of family in His law. And He authorizes the mom and dad as authority in any child's life. And you nor I can can go into a family and usurp the parents authority.

E

Elysian

I read the article you linked to you post about the Bat crazy Pastor.He is twisting scripture to manipulate his congregation.Accept sin with a smile on our faces....that reprobate is more dangerous than a Rattlesnake.