12 Step Programs... Yes or No?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

lighthousejohn

The original 12 step program was Alcoholics Anonymous. It was founded with the intent of people trusting God as their higher power to bring about sobriety in the peoples lives. Today, that higher power can be whatever you want it to be.

The problem with 12 step programs (as I see it) is that they are designed for failure. If an individual fails at step 7, they just back up and repeat steps 5 and 6 while hoping to be able to get past step 7.

Another problem is that they depend on a dedicated "sponsor" to encourage you if you are tempted to fall back out of sobriety. Psalm 118:8 says 8 It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in man.".

I believe in a one step program; Nail it to the cross and walk away!

John

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
Very Good point John!
But we must always remember that the path to Jesus begins with the first step, I have seen many that began with the 12 step.
But you are correct, as each continued the walk they each saw that all is in one step, Jesus!
I guess thats why I like the scripture; Be still and know that I am God!; it truelly speaks to how we need only take one step, then God places the rest of our steps for us.
In his heart man may plan his course, but God determines his steps.
I love scripture, it is so applicable.
God bless, pickles

1still_waters

I don't think having a person help you is a sign of taking refuge in man.

Ecclesiastes 4:11-13 (New International Version)

11 Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm.
But how can one keep warm alone?
12 Though one may be overpowered,
two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.

Apr 7, 2010
12 step programs are for those who don't understand or those who don't want to understand the one step program...the power of the Holy Spirit in a totally surrendered life to Christ...

L

lighthousejohn

12 step programs are for those who don't understand or those who don't want to understand the one step program...the power of the Holy Spirit in a totally surrendered life to Christ...
As a recovered alcoholic by the grace of God with 37 years of sobriety and as a minister of the Gospel of Christ preaching to alcoholics and others with addictive behavior; I have found many of them have been involved with AA for years. They are amazed at my years of sobriety and always ask why they continue to struggle with theirs. This has presented me with many opportunities to share the gospel of Christ. The inherent weakness of 12 step programs is their reliance on a higher power or a power stronger than themselves.

The following is a quote from Bill Wilson, co-founder of Alcoholics Anonymous concerning the use of the Lord's prayer at AA meetings. “Of course there are always those who seem to be offended by the introduction of any prayer whatever into an ordinary A.A. gathering. Also it is sometimes complained that the Lord’s Prayer is a Christian document. Nevertheless, this Prayer is of such widespread use and recognition that the argument of its Christian origin seems to be a little far-fetched. It is also true that most AA’s believe in some kind of god and that communication and strength is obtainable through his grace. Since this is the general consensus, it seems only right that at least the Serenity Prayer and the Lord’s Prayer be used in connection with our meetings. It does not seem necessary to defer to the feelings of our agnostic and atheist newcomers to the extent of completely hiding ‘our light under a bushel.’
However, around here, the leader of the meeting usually asks those to join him in the Lord’s Prayer who feel that they would care to do so. The worst that happens to the objectors is that they have to listen to it. This is doubtless a salutary exercise in tolerance at their stage of progress.”

It started out as a Christian based program but without a sound doctrinal foundation, I see more people struggling when they don't have to.

Feb 27, 2007
I have no experience in these things, just in a father in law who failed to be delivered. We have struggles and to continue in struggle does not mean an absence of the Holy Spirit. I would be careful with the one step program in that some are called to suffer more for whatever reason, not all are delivered immediately and this struggle should not be deemed to be a reflection of ones faith or lack thereof.

Feb 27, 2007
Oh & praise the Lord for your deliverance John, & for your ministry.

L

lighthousejohn

Oh & praise the Lord for your deliverance John, & for your ministry.
Thankyou IMoss for your words.

As for 12 step programs, most participant are not believers. When they enter the program, they are encouraged to recognize their "higher power". As Bill Wilson stated
"It is also true that most AA’s believe in some kind of god and that communication and strength is obtainable through his grace." This is not a declaration of faith in Our heavenly Father but in whatever "god" the individual deems appropriate.

Most suffer because of a lack of faith and a lack of knowledge because as my Director of Missions told me "Reaching out to those that you minister to is a dirty ministry. Very few churches will touch it." If we want to stop the suffering then we need to reach out to the sufferers as Jesus did. Then they to can see the promise of A "one step" program.

In Christ,
JOhn

N

nanabean

With several alcoholics on my hubby's side of our family, I can tell you I would welcome any number of steps it may take for them to become sober.....and stay that way. One way to look at it may be that it may take 12 steps (or more or less.....) to get a person to the point where he/she recognizes that the ONE step they truly need is faith. Christians can struggle with alcoholism the same as non-christians......they beleive, they just flounder at true faith.

May 21, 2009
We are to stand for our brothers and sisters. Actually we are to lay our lives down for our brothers and sisters. Know anyone in terrible pain? You can ask God to share the persons pain. So it would be easier on the person suffering.

N

NodMyHeadLikeYeah

12 step programs work for some, and not for others, i dont see anything wrong with them. I know a alot of people who have gone through them and come out successful, including myself.

WomanLovesTX

Jan 1, 2010
12 step programs work for some, and not for others, i dont see anything wrong with them. I know a alot of people who have gone through them and come out successful, including myself.
I think of alcoholism when I hear 12 step program. But now we recognize lots more "holismism". I know I am not balanced and just leaning of God and being filled with His love may not be enough for a person who has past injuries (starting from childhood) and bringing those injuries into adulthood. By all minister, we are all called to be friends to others, so if you have already resolved your isms and your love tank has been topped with God's love, ask yourself 'How did you reach that point and became whole and like the woman at the well who had 5 husbands, she was ready to hear Jesus and His offering of living water". First, you must recognize your are not whole and why you are lacking real love to be ready to receive God's unconditional love. Best thing I know is as Christians be the "sponsor" who listens and shows the way. The holism is seeking holy ism. Is seeking wholeism. I pray God will send me friends that I can be a true friend and share the real unconditional love of God. I think that is a good starting point to lead the way. Tell them how you overcame your past hurts that left you feeling lacking and how a "sponsor" guided you pack to know the real unconditional love of God. You may be the only one called to aid that person. Listen to the calling and obey. I know these things because when I look at my past and can know how I can move forward. I just need loving friends filled with grace remind me to go to the one who is never dysfunctional.

grace

Sep 8, 2006
My two cents.....when someone has an addiction they need to break (or habit, if you will)...they need to replace it with something else.

People often fill their lives with *things* (alchohal, smoking, drugs, eating disorders, cleptomania, sexual sin, and many many others) because they are trying to fill something in their lives they are missing.

Ofen times I think people crave community. They crave to know they have friends and people that care. From what I know of twelves step programs it can provide community AND help facilitate community by menting broken relationships and teaching skills (through healthier choices) to develop knew friendships and support.
There is a christian twelve-step called Celebrate Recovery. It has the same principals as most other *programs* from what I know of it.

Bottom line, people do not want to be alone. They want to feel like a priority to someone...anyone! They want to feel worthy and needed. A twelve-step program gives them a sense of purpose and a community as they might be transitioning through a place in life.

I think if that can be an outcome and platform for them to help better their life and choices...then I say yes, twelve step programs can be good. :)

Jan 8, 2009
I know people who have done or do 12 step just for the community and fellowship it gives. But they offer this sort of program for all sorts of things now. The meaning of sobriety takes a broader meaning then not just alcohol. It might be relationships, healing from a broken home, other addictions like sex, food, money, television, computer games. I have the book that I've been through. I dont like it personally because I believe in the power of God and think 12 step is a little bit too humanistic. But if it works for some i think it's alright. But there are other and better more christian alternatives.

1still_waters

I have an older friend who is a VERY devout, Bible thumper type who is in AA and been sober for years now. I asked him about the whole higher power thing in AA and how that plays against his faith. To him it's about getting these guys off the booze first, once they are off that, they can be preached to about Jesus. Figure even if they don't believe in jesus, if they are off the booze, it makes the world a better place for them, their family and the world.

H

HeartOfGod

The original 12 step program was Alcoholics Anonymous. It was founded with the intent of people trusting God as their higher power to bring about sobriety in the peoples lives. Today, that higher power can be whatever you want it to be.

The problem with 12 step programs (as I see it) is that they are designed for failure. If an individual fails at step 7, they just back up and repeat steps 5 and 6 while hoping to be able to get past step 7.

Another problem is that they depend on a dedicated "sponsor" to encourage you if you are tempted to fall back out of sobriety. Psalm 118:8 says 8 It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in man.".

I believe in a one step program; Nail it to the cross and walk away!

John
I would agree with you on the one step as well too, then again I have met others who have gone through 12 step programs and they found the Lord that way as well. I think it all depends on the individual because we aren't all the same. Just imagine how different people perceptions are and how God can move in a person's life to change their over all perception to come to that place to receive him. What works for one person won't work for another. I have met people who have been in 12 step programs and some have said it worked for them while others still struggle though and then a few churches I know of have gotten involved to also minister to people in some of 12 step programs.