A double standard

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
H

Harley_Angel

Today, a person I went to highschool with asked the question on their facebook, "Why is it so offensive to people to say Jesus was gay? He hung out with dudes, never got with a chick, had long hair, and was a carpenter..GAY!"

This was my reply:
Because Jesus was blameless, that's why He was the perfect sacrifice for all our sins. He was the lamb without a blemish. To be homosexual is an abomination before the Lord, which would mean if Jesus was gay, He would not have been perfect in the eyes of the Lord, He would not have been free of the sins of the world, and we would still be under ... See Morethe Law, and not a saved people. It's offensive to accuse someone who did not sin, and yet allowed himself to be tortured and killed for OUR sins of being a sinner. If He had been gay, there would be no CHristianity, we'd all still be jews.

Wow, did this stir up the insults! I was first attacked for being closed-minded because I believe homosexuality is wrong. But, wouldn't that make my friend closed-minded for thinking it was right? When I brought up the idea that we each choose different ways to think, he prefer the athiest way, I prefer the Christian way, and it doesn't make us closed minded, simply thinking on two opposite ends of the spectrum, I was then accused of throwing away my brain.

How do you guys deal with this type of double standard? As Christians, anything we say is considered hateful, closed-minded, and "sheep mentality". How do you get across to the other person that they are being very hypocritical by insulting you, refusing to try and see things your way, or putting all their faith in science?

C

charisenexcelcis

I'm so sorry that happened to you. I think that as we draw closer to the end, the world is polarizing, diversity is being replaced with social homogeny. One of the polarizing events is that there are certain assumptions made about christians. I Peter is a good epeistle to read concerning this. Basically it says that we need to be blameless during times of persicution so that the things being said about us are shown clearly to be untrue and our accusers will be put to shame. There are three things that the world uses in building these stereotypes:
1. They will center in on the most polarizing issues. Instead of talking about the love of God or His grace toward them, the issues will be things like homosexuality, abortion, and such.
2. They will take the actions and beliefs of extreme sects and apply them to all of Christianity. For instance, snake-handlers, prosparity preachers, and that group that proptests at the funerals of fallen soldiers.
3. They will overemphasis the failure of individuals rather than the overall behavior of Christians. So, when the leader of a large church fails, it is national news.

QuestionTime

Feb 16, 2010
How do you guys deal with this type of double standard?
You rejoice and be glad. The Bible says:

Luke 6:26
Woe unto you, when all men shall speak well of you! for so did their fathers to the false prophets.

Matthew 5:12
Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

Put these scriptures in your Facebook status area.

Quest

H

Harley_Angel

Thanks guys for the scripture and ideas. They were very helpful. Sometimes it's very hard keeping my patience with people who are so blind to their own hypocrisy, but in the end, they need my love, not my bitterness. I think I shocked my friend because he insulted me again after I posted, and I told him I didn't think fb was a good venue to have such a deep conversation, but that I would love for him to call me or message me on MSN. He hasn't posted back.

It made me really happy to see that another one of his friends said, I don't agree with you! And stood up for Christ. It really made me smile. Love will always win. Even if anger is quicker and more satisfying, it doesn't last, and it doesn't persevere. I have an amazing relationship with Christ and I have to remember that my friend doesn't, and it makes me sad. They are blind because they refuse to see. All I can do is live a life that makes them want to look.

superdave5221

Jul 28, 2009
Today, a person I went to highschool with asked the question on their facebook, "Why is it so offensive to people to say Jesus was gay? He hung out with dudes, never got with a chick, had long hair, and was a carpenter..GAY!"

This was my reply:
Because Jesus was blameless, that's why He was the perfect sacrifice for all our sins. He was the lamb without a blemish. To be homosexual is an abomination before the Lord, which would mean if Jesus was gay, He would not have been perfect in the eyes of the Lord, He would not have been free of the sins of the world, and we would still be under ... See Morethe Law, and not a saved people. It's offensive to accuse someone who did not sin, and yet allowed himself to be tortured and killed for OUR sins of being a sinner. If He had been gay, there would be no CHristianity, we'd all still be jews.

Wow, did this stir up the insults! I was first attacked for being closed-minded because I believe homosexuality is wrong. But, wouldn't that make my friend closed-minded for thinking it was right? When I brought up the idea that we each choose different ways to think, he prefer the athiest way, I prefer the Christian way, and it doesn't make us closed minded, simply thinking on two opposite ends of the spectrum, I was then accused of throwing away my brain.

How do you guys deal with this type of double standard? As Christians, anything we say is considered hateful, closed-minded, and "sheep mentality". How do you get across to the other person that they are being very hypocritical by insulting you, refusing to try and see things your way, or putting all their faith in science?

First of all, we are not of this world. We are born again into the kingdom of God, because of our relationship with Jesus Christ. As such, we do not need the approval, or the need to please those of this world. We also should not be judging those of this world. Paul said to judge those who are members of the body of Christ, lovingly, in order to reprove, and instruct in the right ways of living. We are not to judge those outside the church. I would say to them that they are free to live the way they want, and in the end God will judge them. In other words, I will not judge you, it is between you and God. However homosexual practice will not be toderated within the Church of Jesus Christ. As for them judging Jesus, they are being closeminded for judging someone whom they do not know. It is not for anyone to judge Jesus, but if anyone would know his character, and nature, it would be those who have a relationship with Him, and know Him personally. Jesus' character was beyond reproach, spotless, without blemish. The bible has made it clear that homosexualism is a terrible sin, one that God especially hates, and God said that He was pleased with His Son, therefore Jesus could not have done this. And Jesus' nature was to love (not hate) all humanity, irregardless of where they are at on the road to salvation.

Romans 5: 6 You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. 7 Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die. 8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. 9 Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God's wrath through him! 10 For if, when we were God's enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life! 11 Not only is this so, but we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.

Christ loved us enough to die for us, even as we were enemies of God through sin.

Tell them that Jesus loves them, and that He died for them. Tell them that if they want to know who Jesus is, they can find out about him in the Holy Scriptures. But to speak as they do, about those things of which they are ignorant, is foolishness that they will one day have to answer for.

QuestionTime

Feb 16, 2010
Hey SuperDave,

We have to preach the Law of God to sinners so they can realize that they are sinners. But you are correct in this: that we shouldn't judge people as being greater sinners than anyone else, just because they are homosexual.

Quest

superdave5221

Jul 28, 2009
Hey SuperDave,

We have to preach the Law of God to sinners so they can realize that they are sinners. But you are correct in this: that we shouldn't judge people as being greater sinners than anyone else, just because they are homosexual.

Quest
I agree that we need to make people aware that they are sinners, and thus in need of a Savior. This is covered quite nicely in the Gospels. Other books, such as Romans, Colossians, and Ephesians, elaborate on God's great plan of redemption.

As to the second part of your statement, I was referring to 1 Corinthians chapter 5, where Paul makes it quite clear that certain moral sins are greater threats to Christ's church, than other sins. Whereas all sin is hateful to God, creating the need for a Savior to reconcile us to Him, nevertheless, not all sins are created equally. He also makes it quite clear that we are not to judge the world. We can teach them, but not judge them.

Last edited:
H

Harley_Angel

Superdave,

Thanks for your reply. I see what you mean about not judging those outside of Christ's Church, but rather keeping it (lovingly and without reproach or haughtiness) inside. Instead of judging, we should be leading blameless lives of our own, and teaching. I think it's important that as we grow stronger in Christ, that we take on all sorts of types of friends, even troubled ones. By keeping our strength and not falling into worldly ways of life, we can influence them as friends, and not seem so judgemental. Maybe 1 person won't be able to reach thousands of people, but I think God wants us to have relationships with sinners in a way that brings them closer to Him. It's hard to remember that we are apart from the world, but still in it.

Red_Tory

Jan 26, 2010
I'd rather be considered "closed-minded", to be honest. To drum up the ol' 40k quote, the modern concept of an open mind is "like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded".

In my experience, this whole "You're not open-minded" accusation is often simply "You should agree with my viewpoint!".

If you have this "open mind", then all sorts of people will insist on cramming their own perceptions and ideas in there rather than talking about them.

H

Harley_Angel

Yeah, it reminds me of the saying, "If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything." I am closed minded, and open hearted.

C

charisenexcelcis

I think the scripture that best sums it up is "speak the truth, in love."

May 21, 2009
Harley you rejoice when you get attacked. The bible clearly says if you stand for Jesus you will be attacked. Go Girl!!

H

Harley_Angel

Lol, it really does feel great to stand up for Jesus. I know if He's what I'm standing for, nobody can knock me down. When we stop arguing just to be right, and start standing up for God, we can never lose.

J

jimmydiggs

For the most part I have it relatively easy when it comes to stating, that homosexuality is wrong, and the repercussions from others. I live in the midwest, which in large part is still a Christian haven. The common demoninator I have noticed is this. You are more likely to encounter someone who will lash out against stating homosexuality is wrong, when in a more liberal area, or a more urbanized area. Generally the two go hand-in-hand. The exception to the rule would be in the Midwest and Southern United States (Old South). The reason why larger cities in these areas still can be very conservative, and very Christian, are because of the region they are located in. I would assume. I am no demographer.

QuestionTime

Feb 16, 2010
I was told a story in my old Church about one of the men in our particular Assembly Group. Anyway, the two Scotsmen from our Assembly Group were down in San Francisco I think, or somewhere in California. There was a gay parade on, and all of these people were walking around in leather with whips and all of that. Well, this one Scotsman grabs his Bible and he starts getting out of the car to preach hellfire at them. The other Scotsman fights to grab hold of him to get him back in the car. :D

He was more brave than smart that day, LOL.

Quest

G

Gabriel777

Thanks guys for the scripture and ideas. They were very helpful. Sometimes it's very hard keeping my patience with people who are so blind to their own hypocrisy, but in the end, they need my love, not my bitterness. I think I shocked my friend because he insulted me again after I posted, and I told him I didn't think fb was a good venue to have such a deep conversation, but that I would love for him to call me or message me on MSN. He hasn't posted back.

It made me really happy to see that another one of his friends said, I don't agree with you! And stood up for Christ. It really made me smile. Love will always win. Even if anger is quicker and more satisfying, it doesn't last, and it doesn't persevere. I have an amazing relationship with Christ and I have to remember that my friend doesn't, and it makes me sad. They are blind because they refuse to see. All I can do is live a life that makes them want to look.

I KNOW EXACTLY HOW YOU FEEL! I am glad I'm not the only one getting whipped for proclaiming the truth and standing on the true rock. They all hate me at my job because I'm not like them and i do the right thing.

H

Harley_Angel

Don't worry, Gabe, you are NOT alone. I was told earlier that "the old Andrea would be disgusted to see who she had become." I know he meant that as an insult, but to me, it was a great victory. It means I've changed so much into a better person that my friends are recognizing enough of a difference they specify "old" andrea and "new" andrea!

But keep standing proud for Jesus, Gabe. For every person you upset or anger with your faith, there is someone else looking, and watching, usually silently who is learning and benefitting from what you're saying. Even if people get angry at you, it still means they are listening to what you are saying and getting passionate about it. We tend to remember stuff we get passionate about.