A Life for a life

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Latour

Jun 11, 2018
Hi!
The subject of this thread is the nature of the way of God...who doesn't change.

In times past the law stated that...
Deut. 19:21 "Thus you shall not show pity: life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot.

Jesus paid that penalty, fulfilling the law of ordinances against us, by giving His life so that we may live.

He then gave us a sample of that life...a downpayment of sorts to show his resolve in purchasing our freedom and the gift of His life.

2 Cor 1:22) Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest [aravon] of the Spirit in our hearts.

The aravon...or "earnest" of the Spirit is from the Hebrew and means a token or pledge of something promised IF the conditions are met. So then Jesus died for us...and given us a pledge of life ...if we lay down our lives for Him in return. That is the new covenant. A Life for a life. He gives us all He has first...in order to encourage us to give Him all we have.

Many people have been led astray into thinking that God expects nothing in return for grace. But God doesn't change His purpose...God demands ALL...for His all. That is all! :)

When we have given up our lives THEN we can say..

"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me." Gal. 2:20

He gave up His life for me so that I would do the same for Him. Be reconciled to God.

Feb 28, 2016
Many people have been led astray into thinking that God expects nothing in return for grace. But God doesn't change His purpose...God demands ALL...for His all. That is all! :)
===================================================
it's a basic principle:

DEUT. 6:4-5.
Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is One LORD:

'Thou shall Love The Lord thy God with all thy heart,
and with all thy soul, and with all thy might'...

MARK 12:29-30.
And Jesus answered him, The first of all the Commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is One Lord:

And thou shalt love The Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength:
this is the first Commandment.

as it is written;
'Not one jot or one tittle shall pass from the Law, until all be fulfilled'...

Latour

Jun 11, 2018
Luke 14:33 So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.

How many people even bother to consider this?

Christianity has to be the only "religion" where the one being "followed" is totally ignored.

Latour

Jun 11, 2018
The problem with our consumer societies is the influence which has permeated our way of thinking so that we are looking to ADD to what we have...not subtract. So when we hear a message that offers life in exchange for all we have (including our lives) we can only hear what we're getting out of it. We only want the free stuff. We don't even consider what it means to "count the cost."