A Message from Ranier Maria Rilke

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 16, 2009
My Dear Friends,

During the period 1903-08, the poet Ranier Maria Rilke wrote a series of ten "Letters to a Young Poet". Some of these exude a spiritual essence almost Biblical in nature. Rilke's advice is characterized by an aura of compassion, understanding, and lovingkindness (yes, that's the Dalai Lama's favorite word!) that we Christians (and others) would do well to emulate. The following is from Letter IV, written on 16 July 1903, in which Rilke gives advice to a young student who is approaching a hitherto unrealized state of transitional growth (spiritual enlightenment?):

"...love your solitude and bear the pain which it has caused you with fair-sounding lament. For those that are near you are far, you say, and this shews that distance begins to grow round you. And when your nearness is far, then your distance is already among the stars and very great; be glad of your growing, into which you can take no one else with you, and be good to those that remain behind, and be self-possessed and quiet with them and do not torment them with your doubts and do not frighten them with your confidence or joy, which they could not comprehend.

"Seek some unpretending and honest communication with them, which you are under no necessity to alter when you yourself become more and more different; love life in a strange guise in them, and make allowances for those ageing people who fear the solitude in which you trust..."

Do yourself a huge favor by reading the Rilke Letter IV in its entirety. That way, you can reap the full benefit of context that I might not have been able to convey. Then, if you are so inclined, you might want to partake of Rilke's complete "Letters to a Young Poet". Doing so may well enhance the quality of your life. My goodness, how that man could write!

Thank you for allowing me to share this with you.
Best Wishes - K

T

thefightinglamb

I used to love Rainer Maria Rilke...but if you become too obsessed with him, he begins to warp your thinking....I actually memorized like 7 of his poems...I first was intrigued by reading the Panther and the Swan in a class I had, but then some of his shorter and longer writings also intrigued me, including the one about the masks people wear, and how some seem people's faces seem to be stuck in a face/expression that has not changed in years.

I turned from this to memorizing the Psalms for obvious reasons...

He also will lead you astray if you follow his strains instead of Christ's way...but that being said, aka 'do not follow him', he does spiritually show a lot of poignant truths.

God bless
tony

May 21, 2009
Isn't the Dali Lama the same one who never had a relationship with his own son?

D

dustyzafu

Isn't the Dali Lama the same one who never had a relationship with his own son?
As a celibate monk from an early age, he's never had a wife or child.

May 22, 2006
Very interesting letter! .... thanks for sharing. It would be great if you could post a list of your favorite authors across the board you have good selections!!

Status
Not open for further replies.