A "Personal Relationship" with God is not biblical

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
U

UnderGrace

Yeah, well, everyone does that to some extent. But I suppose there is a benefit to never having experienced love in any other way, because I'm not going to let my emotions cloud my judgment. People also use this "relationship" theology to coerce people into all kinds of abuse. If I ever found out that someone I knew, or even someone I loved, was doing that, and that there was evidence for it, I'm going to do the responsible thing and call the police.

The church is not above reproach and God couldn't care less about "reputations." He cares about people. And when you choose your emotions over evidence, you are giving into foolishness and, in some cases, wickedness. Like I said, if I knew you, loved you, even if you were a family man, when you abuse in God's name, it may be hard, but I will call the cops on you.

It's also this "relationship" theology that makes us deny ultimately that everyone has a sin nature. It's sad that church people can be some of the most naive people, and that churches have become havens for abusers. The bible says that there are people in this world who do not have a conscience and who give themselves over to Satan. There are people who lie and steal and kill and destroy without remorse.

In fact, Paul writes that we are to turn unrepentant sinners over to Satan. God takes sin very seriously, and he is furious when people abuse in his name. Woe to those who have done that and then will have to answer for it on Judgment Day.
I am not in disagreement with most of what you say.

What I am trying to understand is why first you say you have never felt love and then you speak about not letting emotions cloud your judgement. Are you telling me you have no emotions?

I know that "perspective taking" is difficult for someone on the spectrum yet I have never read anywhere that a characteristic of autism is not having emotions?

Feb 28, 2016
amen sister!
it is yet one more excuse for avoiding what our Saviour expects of us, kind of like someone taking a
free 'worldly ride' to excuse themselves of being/doing what Christ expects of us...

Lillywolf

Aug 29, 2018

What I am trying to understand is why first you say you have never felt love and then you speak about not letting emotions cloud your judgement. Are you telling me you have no emotions?

I know that "perspective taking" is difficult for someone on the spectrum yet I have never read anywhere that a characteristic of autism is not having emotions?
It is not a characteristic of Autism.

(cut from the viewpoint article: )
People with autism can read emotions, feel empathy
BY REBECCA BREWER, JENNIFER MURPHY / 12 JULY 2016

There is a persistent stereotype that people with autism are individuals who lack empathy and cannot understand emotion. It’s true that many people with autism don’t show emotion in ways that people without the condition would recognize1.

But the notion that people with autism generally lack empathy and cannot recognize feelings is wrong. Holding such a view can distort our perception of these individuals and possibly delay effective treatments. More reading at the article linked above.

Other articles

Feb 20, 2016

It's not that people on the spectrum don't have emotions. If anything, we feel more than most people do. But I've seen what happens when people choose feelings over facts. I've never "felt" love because no one has ever loved me like that, but I've known love and know what it is.