A quick question as a SINGLE man : how do you become HUMBLE?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

christian74

Oct 1, 2013
I know this thread perhaps is more suited in the Bible Discussion forum (but using my single status as a justification for posting it here - another wonderful benefit of being single) but just wanted to ask you guys your thoughts and understanding on the topic of 'being humble.'

I would appreciate if you could give some instruction or details, instead of just saying 'just be humble, you know?'
For example:

Psalms 37:4, one of the well-known verses, says:

Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart. (NIV)

Now, for me, being not so bright, the natural question that comes up is 'how do you delight myself in the LORD??'
Do I just.. force myself to delight in Him regardless of the circumstances I'm in or is there something more?
Then, I found a different version (Complete Jewish Bible), starting from verse 3 instead of 4, which says:

Trust in ADONAI, and do good;
settle in the land, and feed on faithfulness.
Then you will delight yourself in ADONAI,
and he will give you your heart's desire.

Psalms 37:3-4 (CJB)

I think the verse 3 gives more understanding and detail on how to delight yourself in the LORD, i.e., the cause. Thus, in order to delight myself in the LORD, the effect, one way to do it is by trusting in Him, and do good, settle in the land and feed on faithfulness. Even if I don't necessarily understand what that all means (settle in the land??), at least I now have a better understanding on how to delight myself in the LORD.

Okay, the intro was way too long and I apologize.

So... haha (shaking my head, thinking the intro was too long), how do you become humble? Really.
Thank you for your sharing of understanding and wisdom on the subject in advance.

niceguyJ

Feb 5, 2011
I hope I'm understanding what you're asking correctly. If not, maybe I'll say something that helps your thinking along still.

As far as being humble goes: For me, it comes with the realization that I'm a terrible person without Jesus. He's the only good in me. So what do I have to boast of? Everything and anything that I am or have that is good is from Him alone.

As to the rest of your post: I think it's about acceptance and truly submitting to God's will. Life is hard. It always will be. We were never promised it would be easy. It's not God's job to serve us and make us happy. It's the other way around. We should serve Him. When we're going through hard times we can wallow in self pity, shake our fists at Him, and mope around all day OR we can choose to submit to Him and trust that in the end all things work together for the good of His will. I'm not saying we're not allowed to be sad. God created that emotion too. The problem comes when we dwell on it.
It's easy to praise God when things are going great, but true spiritual maturity comes when we can thank God and praise Him as we're going through the harsh times too. They can shape and refine us in positive ways, if we only allow Him to work. Ultimately, we'll be with Him forever and any hard times on Earth will be forgotten.

R

Raine

In addition to what niceguy said...

I think being humble also means that we live life in Christ every day as if we are saved. Does that sound confusing? Lol. Too many times as Christians we mope about how we are not good enough or the circumstances we are in; however, we should live each day knowing who are are because of what Christ has already done for us. When we put our own feelings before God's instructions, we are actually saying we know better God, because we refuse to do what He calls us to do...

Simple example, not trying to make it too complicated here... God tells you while eating at a restaurant... Go talk to that person who is sitting alone at that table... But God... You know me, I'm too shy and I'm not brave. I'll look weird if I go talk to that person and they kind of look scary... I think I'll just stay over here...

I know we also need wisdom and discernment in such circumstances but you get the idea... When we do such things we are actually doubting God's capability and his ability to use us for his kingdom. I think it takes a sense of humbleness to be able to say, Okay God, I will obey because you are God and even though my whole entire being says this is crazy, I will trust in you and do it anyways.

Humbleness is a sense of brokenness, and realizing that it is God alone who makes you whole each and every day. It is a daily process, one that must be renewed with each morning... You can't depend on a one time event to consider yourself humble as it is not in our natural human nature to be humble.

Ask God too, to show you areas of your life where you might not be as humble as you think.

In terms of delight... I think you learn to delight in Him more and more, when you spend more and more time with Him. I love some of David and Moses's moments with God... and through my own personal experiences with God I am able to understand more and more, how they were able to write such beautiful psalms or songs for God. I think the delight comes from knowing Him and when you know how He delights in you, it brings you even more delight. It's like an awesome rebound ripple effect or something haha. 8D

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
How do you become humble?

Alright, I was going to make an obnoxious joke
(and I probably will later)
but maybe some people really don't understand this.

Being humble is the opposite of being proud.
What is pride?
It is thinking too highly of yourself... BECAUSE you don't view yourself the way God does.

PRIDE = not viewing yourself the way God does.

So the KEY is to learn to view ourselves the way God views us.

- God does not view us as worthless... so being humble does not mean seeing ourselves that way.

- God does not view us as unimportant... so being humble does not mean seeing ourselves that way.

- GOD DOES view us as BELOVED CHILDREN who are to KNOW OUR PLACE in relation to HIM.

- So... if you study your relationship to God... that straightens out your attitude problems.

What should your relationship to God be?

Go study the scriptures.

Study that relationship... that will answer all your questions.

Last edited:
R

Raine

I was waiting for the joke but none came! A post without a joke???!? O:

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
I was waiting for the joke but none came! A post without a joke???!? O:

Alright alright... the joke was going to go like this.

How Do I Become MORE Humble?

I don't know, I've never felt any need to improve!

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
Let's see, pointers on humility:

1) Humility is accepting what God says about you, whether he says you are better than you think you are or he says you are worse than you think you are.

2) Humble people simply don't concern themselves with themselves. They don't even stop to think about whether they are getting the respect they deserve or projecting and protecting the image they want to have. They are also willing to admit their faults.

3) Humble people are more concerned about other people than about being right or winning the debate. They share their knowledge out of a desire to help and not a desire to show you how much better they are than you.

4) Phillipians chapter 2

BTW you are very wise not to ask this question in the Bible discussion forum; humility is not a trait I see regularly displayed by many of the posters there.

Tinkerbell725

Jul 19, 2014
Philippines Age 40
Proverbs 11:2 ESV

When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with the humble is wisdom.

Proverbs 16:5 ESV

Everyone who is arrogant in heart is an abomination to the Lord; be assured, he will not go unpunished.

Proverbs 29:23 ESV

One's pride will bring him low, but he who is lowly in spirit will obtain honor.

christian74

Oct 1, 2013
I hope I'm understanding what you're asking correctly. If not, maybe I'll say something that helps your thinking along still.

As far as being humble goes: For me, it comes with the realization that I'm a terrible person without Jesus. He's the only good in me. So what do I have to boast of? Everything and anything that I am or have that is good is from Him alone.

Hahaha.. you know, I think you really summed it up so succinctly and down to the core.

I was reading Psalms 25 this morning and it's usually something that I will read and think it's all good stuff. However, it kinda came "alive" to me this time, especially with verses 4 and 9.

v4. Make Your ways known to me, HASHEM; teach me Your paths.
v9. He leads the humble with justice, and teaches His way to the humble.

I kinda had a personal enlightenment yesterday on why it is God's will for me to honor my father and my mother and was just blown away in awe because of realizing how much God loves my parents, especially my unbelieving father. God's plan, His will, His unfathomable wisdom... everything stems from His love for us, His L O V E that is beyond my understanding. And when I read verse 4, I strongly desired to know His ways more and more, and verse 9 seems to explain how to know His ways - by becoming humble. At the same time, the word 'humble' made me think about my favorite Bible character - Moses. Numbers 12 says that he was exceedingly humble, more so than anyone on the face of the earth. I thought that verse was astounding. I mean, this man lead the Israelite, over million people out of Egypt and yet he was neither pretending to be humble nor even trying to be humble but was humble, more so than anyone on the earth, period. If I were Moses... leading over millions of people and talking to God face to face and all... as much as I reasoned that Moses was so humble because he encountered God face to face and was able to see who he really was in light of God's presence, I just don't see myself becoming like Moses.

Anyways, you are absolutely right. At some point, living as Christian, you begin to think unconsciously, without even realizing it, that what you are doing, so-called righteous things, is from your righteousness (yeah, by relying on God and blah) and not being able to come up with what you have said up there says something about where my humility is at right now.

Thanks!

W

Witness45

If you try to be humble, you're not humble, because then you're thinking of yourself. Humility is in simply denying yourself and trusting God.

christian74

Oct 1, 2013
Humbleness is a sense of brokenness, and realizing that it is God alone who makes you whole each and every day. It is a daily process, one that must be renewed with each morning... You can't depend on a one time event to consider yourself humble as it is not in our natural human nature to be humble.

Ask God too, to show you areas of your life where you might not be as humble as you think.

Thanks Raine, you are so right about the humbling process being a daily thing instead of being a one time event.
I will definitely start asking Him to show the areas of my life that is disguised as being humble when in fact it's not.

christian74

Oct 1, 2013
How do you become humble?

Alright, I was going to make an obnoxious joke
(and I probably will later)
but maybe some people really don't understand this.

Being humble is the opposite of being proud.
What is pride?
It is thinking too highly of yourself... BECAUSE you don't view yourself the way God does.

PRIDE = not viewing yourself the way God does.

So the KEY is to learn to view ourselves the way God views us.

- God does not view us as worthless... so being humble does not mean seeing ourselves that way.

- God does not view us as unimportant... so being humble does not mean seeing ourselves that way.

- GOD DOES view us as BELOVED CHILDREN who are to KNOW OUR PLACE in relation to HIM.

- So... if you study your relationship to God... that straightens out your attitude problems.

What should your relationship to God be?

Go study the scriptures.

Study that relationship... that will answer all your questions.

I really really appreciate your insight on this.

It felt like... having a one-on-one with a pastor/mentor, being taught in a way that's easy to understand and very insightful at the same time. Thank you sir.

christian74

Oct 1, 2013
Let's see, pointers on humility:

1) Humility is accepting what God says about you, whether he says you are better than you think you are or he says you are worse than you think you are.

2) Humble people simply don't concern themselves with themselves. They don't even stop to think about whether they are getting the respect they deserve or projecting and protecting the image they want to have. They are also willing to admit their faults.

3) Humble people are more concerned about other people than about being right or winning the debate. They share their knowledge out of a desire to help and not a desire to show you how much better they are than you.

4) Phillipians chapter 2

BTW you are very wise not to ask this question in the Bible discussion forum; humility is not a trait I see regularly displayed by many of the posters there.

I realize sometimes there's this image I want to project or protect or both - and this is probably one of the reasons why I asked for your understanding and wisdom to see how I should deal with it. Looks like that issue will be straightened up as I study my relationship with God more and more through the Scripture. Ha!

AsifinPassing

Jul 13, 2010
You must go train in deh mountains...

drunkmastersmall.jpg

...but seriously, through a mixture of Will/Choice, Acting on said things, and mostly...your relationship with God. There's a reason they call most spiritual practices "disciplines". Just sayin...

D

Donkeyfish07

I gotta humble myself all the time. Especially if I'm working towards a goal and I'm just kicking butt getting it accomplished. I can catch myself thinking, wow, I'm so good....pshhh, this ain't nothing. Sometimes I don't realize it until the end of the day but I usually take an inventory when I get some quiet time at the house. Just gotta bring it before God and repent about that. I try to have nothing to do with pride at all, even in the sense of being proud of an accomplishment. Nothing wrong with giving yourself a pat on the back for a job well done but letting anything go to your head is spiritually stupid. Giving thanks for the things that are going well and bringing you joy is the way to honor God, not allowing whatever it is to inflate your ego to the size of the death star.

P

persNickety

I think I good excerises for humbling is fasting. Can be a day or two. Its up to you, whatever you feel called to. Be sure to follow biblical instructions of not telling others, not appearing as you are fasting. Be in the word, take time to journal, rest and pray.

Pipp

Majestic Llamacorn
Sep 17, 2013
Georgia
Become selfless and naturally you'll become humble. Serving others and putting others first is the best way to explain what I mean.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
For the best results, ask God to make you humble.

For immediate results, ask me to make you humble.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Become selfless and naturally you'll become humble. Serving others and putting others first is the best way to explain what I mean.
You did quite well in explaining what you mean. The reason for that is because you are a humble person.