(a tad sad) "Hallo" from Germany

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 3, 2019
Hello to everyone who reads this. :giggle:
I'm a student from Germany, I'm 23 years old and to be honest, I've a few issues with my faith right now. So maybe that's why I'm here.
For the past six years I've been studying in an East German city. In East Germany, only 20% of the people are church members and about 1.5 % are visiting the church at least once a year. And not only in East Germany but in the whole country are atheistic tendencies rising. Every year more and more people leave the church.
Every time someone asks for my course of studies and I answer: "Theology" the mildest reaction is: "Are you stupid?" or "Why aren't you studying something real/something worth studying?" or "Oh, but nobody needs something like that!"
Every time, something about church (doesn't matter if Protestant, Catholic, Orthodox or whatever) is in the news, the majority of people writes stuff like: "Religion is bad. Why is there religion in our society still? etc."
And it's starting to get to me. When I look at the future, I'm become soo afraid. I've been always looking forward to be a pastor, it has been my dream job, but now I'm terribly afraid of it. Because I'm constantly wondering if I have the strength to be a good pastor when there's all this hard pushback I have to fight against. Moreover I'm pretty tired of people telling me how stupid and "middle-aged" I am. And I just feel like a very lone fighter.

I'm very sorry for this long, sad message.
I just saw this site and I thought it's nice to get to know people who furthermore believe in the same.
Have a wonderful evening,
Alex

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Alex,

It isn't going to get easier.

You are studying to be a pastor in a part of the world where pastors are disrespected and derided.

The WORLD around you will not change... but it is possible that YOU can change in the midst of a difficult world.
It is possible that you can find peace, and courage, and encouragement in Christ, and even encouragement in the brethren.
But the world around you will not change.

Paul spoke often of finding peace and joy in Christ, even in the most difficult times.
That is true Christianity... to find your joy, and strength, and purpose in Christ alone, regardless of the circumstances.
As you learn to walk closely with Christ, and trust in him, despite the circumstances.. then you can teach those lessons to those you pastor.
That is what it means to be a pastor.

Please take your time on this forum getting to know people.
There are a lot of good Christians here who will be encouraging, and supportive in your struggles.

T

tasha66

Hi Alex. Great to have you with us!
Don't worry...I'm middle aged & people treat me like I'm an idiot, just because I have grey hair now. They also assume I'm deaf, which I'm not. I'm a highly trained health care professional & when I tell them that, they have the grace to look ashamed - as they should. I'm just learning a whole new computer program for work so I can't be that dumb!!
You sound like you may be having doubts about your vocation. Pastors play an important role in communities. If you're having doubts I'd start by firstly talking to your senior pastor or a friend to get some feedback, & to work through your doubts.
My girlfriends Mum once said: When your kids get older, you can only guide them in the right direction & support them in their choices. Their choices might be good or really, really bad. It's the same with you. You can only counsel people & if they don't follow you, it's their choice.
Do what I do when people criticize me - just give them the biggest smile you can manage & say: 'Thanks for the feedback. You have a great day!' Keep smiling & walk away. They won't know what to think! And you haven't given them power over you by reacting in a negative manner.
Once again, great to have you here!
Cheers! :)

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Every time someone asks for my course of studies and I answer: "Theology" the mildest reaction is: "Are you stupid?" or "Why aren't you studying something real/something worth studying?" or "Oh, but nobody needs something like that!"

Every time, something about church (doesn't matter if Protestant, Catholic, Orthodox or whatever) is in the news, the majority of people writes stuff like: "Religion is bad. Why is there religion in our society still? etc."
Alex
Hello Alex :) You are in an interesting and unique situation! Have you considered the fact that these people have no idea what they are talking about to say such things? Or that they are deliberately trying to insult you, which you need not take personally, for their grievance is with their immature ideas of God and religion? Anyone who says nobody needs a sense of purpose and direction in their life, or that origins do not matter, is quite frankly speaking out of their nether region. I looked at some sites in pondering a response to you, and found this:

Speaking about theology in times past was not thought of taboo as it is today. It used to be called “the queen of the sciences.” It was understood to be the first among pursuits of knowledge, since it was believed that all other pursuits were vitally linked to its dictates. Morality was dictated by it. Philosophy was called its handmaiden. Why was it held in such high esteem then? Because theology itself provides a foundation for your philosophy and worldview, which in turn sets inclinations for your heart, actions, and decisions in all situations. Everything is affected by your theology. For example, if your theology denies the existence of God, then your morality is going to be affected since its basis is not a personal and timeless being. With a theology of atheism (i.e. belief that there is no God) morals become relative to the time and situation. In this case, what is true for one generation may not be true for another. If your theology denies the sinfulness of man, then a bloody sacrificial death to atone for sin becomes repulsive, since, according to your theology, men don’t need to have their sin atoned for. If your theology is polytheistic (i.e. belief in many gods), then you will constantly be trying to figure out which god or gods you should encounter, pray to, and/or appease in order to make their situation “right.” The implications are endless. source

If your end goal in studying theology is to be a pastor, then your concerns with your faith are well founded if your faith is not founded on Jesus. If you are standing on Him, how others see you is not that important in the long run, at least, not important enough to deter you from pursuing your passion, which would be ministering to the flock, not appeasing or pandering to the wolves. Still, it would not hurt to come up with some well thought out pithy answers to the remarks you get to let people know you consider it a worthy calling.

M

morefaithrequired

Alex
i wonder if you really have to deal with atheists much once you become pastor. Wont you be just focussed on your own Christian community? Or will you have to evangelise in the street?
nice post anyway alex God Bless

danja

Nov 28, 2014
welcome Alex and have a blessed october <3

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
I'm glad you posted. I had heard that about Germany...my brother in law went on a mission trip there and told me that he also noticed the same. He said it was really hard there.

But you know what? Hard soil is still soil. Even here where there's a lot of lukewarm christianity the soil isn't ideal. Consider the parable of the sower. If you keep sowing you'll find the good ground. It's not about the majority for the way is narrow and few there be that find it.

The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. It's lonely sometimes...but I also think that's why we have the body. We aren't in this alone :)

it's about knowing Yeshua and being known by him...nothing else matters, no theology will save...but it is a noteworthy pursuit to study to show thyself approved. As well as to have sound doctrine preached with so much opposition. Ty for sharing.

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
Moin moin i live in germany aswell..im notfron the eastern side tho. Nice to have u here

oyster67

May 24, 2014
I'm a student from Germany, I'm 23 years old and to be honest, I've a few issues with my faith right now. So maybe that's why I'm here.
For the past six years I've been studying in an East German city. In East Germany, only 20% of the people are church members and about 1.5 % are visiting the church at least once a year. And not only in East Germany but in the whole country are atheistic tendencies rising. Every year more and more people leave the church.
And it's starting to get to me. When I look at the future, I'm become soo afraid. I've been always looking forward to be a pastor, it has been my dream job, but now I'm terribly afraid of it. Because I'm constantly wondering if I have the strength to be a good pastor when there's all this hard pushback I have to fight against. Moreover I'm pretty tired of people telling me how stupid and "middle-aged" I am. And I just feel like a very lone fighter.

I just saw this site and I thought it's nice to get to know people who furthermore believe in the same.
Alex

This is not a sad message at all! You are walking in the footsteps of Jesus and fellow believers all around the world. Hold fast and be not ashamed of this testimony, and great will be you reward on that wonderful first day of eternity!

Hebrews
10:32 But call to remembrance the former days, in which, after ye were illuminated, ye endured a great fight of afflictions;
10:33 Partly, whilst ye were made a gazingstock both by reproaches and afflictions; and partly, whilst ye became companions of them that were so used.
10:34 For ye had compassion of me in my bonds, and took joyfully the spoiling of your goods, knowing in yourselves that ye have in heaven a better and an enduring substance.
10:35 Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward.
10:36 For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.
10:37 For yet a little while, and he that shall come will come, and will not tarry.
11:24 By faith Moses, when he was come to years, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter;
11:25 Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season;
11:26 Esteeming the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures in Egypt: for he had respect unto the recompence of the reward.

God bless you and Godspeed, my friend:)

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016

Alex
Jesus said that in the end times there would be a great falling away from the truth and Jesus even lamented::

Luke 18: KJV

8 "I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?"

So as a Christian seeing the rise of atheism around us and many people no longer believing in God should give us Hope that Jesus is soon to return.. Yes it is sad that many are falling away from belief but look upon it as providing you with a target right environment to share the message of Jesus in :) I live in Australia and there are a lot of atheists here and they do like to mock believers with the standard your stupid for believing in God talk.. But we need to be confident in the LORD and allow all that denigration to fall away from us like water off a ducks back..

Remember we are the eternal winners and we shall have victory through Faith in our LORD Jesus Christ.. So be prepared to walk like Noah, knowing the last days will be like the Days of Noah.. Not many Believers in the days of Noah,, But Noah was saved from the flood that destroyed the World and we shall be saved like Noah from the Last days Wrath of the LORD that will be poured out upon this evil world..

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
Welcome and it sounds like you CC at the perfect time. You will get input from like-minded(for the most part, lol) people here. Also, I pray the Good Lord connects you with Christians there to build each other up and pray together, in Jesus' Name, God bless you!

Oct 3, 2019
Thanks for all your wonderful and encouraging answers! :giggle:
It's good to be reminded that as a Christian you'll never be alone.

Oct 3, 2019
Alex
i wonder if you really have to deal with atheists much once you become pastor. Wont you be just focussed on your own Christian community? Or will you have to evangelise in the street?
nice post anyway alex God Bless
Well, I'll probably get a community in a village in a rural area. That means there are many activities by the village in which the church participates, but where I'll meet the other (atheistic) half of the village. Or if you take events like confirmations/weddings/funerals - almost half of the people attending are non-Christians.
Also many of my school friends left the church or have never been to church.

3angelsmsg

Mar 1, 2018
Amen. You be strong in the lord. God spoke to Joshua, when Moses died. And God told Joshua, just as I have been with my servant Moses so will I be with you. Take heart my friend.

God wjll be with you as you are witnessing to the unbelievers. Do not get discouraged there is people who need to hear the truth of the bible.

You be grounded on the living word of God.

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016

Have a wonderful evening, Alex
Hallo, Melli, willkommen in unserer Gesellschaft.

I see what you mean regarding atheism because my mom's side of the family is all German.

I think it would be nice for you to know the opinion of a famous Brazilian pastor about theology. He said: "I don't encourage anyone to go to college to study theology -- this is something one can do alone".

Later on he said that his son wanted to study theology at all costs and wouldn't listen to dad's advice. The young man went to one of the best colleges in Brazil and at the end of the first school year he told his father: "You were right, it's a total waste of time".

Since you're still very young you could first study something that will serve as a financial support and then you could study theology by yourself, by distance learning or in traditional classes. What matters most is that you be a true Christian (seek first the Kingdom of Heaven) and then God will guide your footsteps.

Well, this is just a suggestion. I hope you stay with us and with God.

Oct 5, 2019
Guten Tag, :)
Ask God to give you the strength, courage, patience and understanding to endure and the love and understanding of others around you.

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Philippians 4:13 KJV

And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
2 Corinthians 12:9 KJV

He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength.
Isaiah 40:29 KJV

But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Isaiah 40:31 KJV

Remember that Jesus endured a great ordeal for us while on earth.

[Quoted from the internet]:
I cannot fathom the physical pain Jesus endured. But this was not the worst thing Jesus endured.
We catch an infinitesimal glimpse of Jesus deepest pain in Matthew 27:

And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, “Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?” that is, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” Matthew 27:46​

Jesus was quoting David in Psalm 22 here:

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, from the words of my groaning? O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer, and by night, but I find no rest. Yet you are holy, enthroned on the praises of Israel. In you our fathers trusted; they trusted, and you delivered them. To you they cried and were rescued; in you they trusted and were not put to shame. But I am a worm and not a man, scorned by mankind and despised by the people. All who see me mock me; they make mouths at me; they wag their heads; “He trusts in the LORD; let him deliver him; let him rescue him, for he delights in him!” Psalm 22:1-8​

In Psalm 22, David cries out to God in desperation, surrounded by enemies and unable to sense God’s presence. But God had not forsaken David. Jesus quoted this Psalm because as he hung on the cross, he endured an infinitely greater pain than all the physical torture he had experienced. Jesus experienced the ultimate being “forsaken.”
To forsake another person is to leave them entirely, usually in a moment of need. –Vocabulary.com

For all eternity, Jesus had enjoyed perfect, unbroken fellowship with his Father. In the Trinity, Jesus, the Father, and the Spirit experienced eternal, infinite love and joy. But God laid every single one of our sins upon Jesus, as if he had personally committed them, then poured out his wrath upon his Son, punishing Jesus in our place for our sins. Jesus stepped in as a Substitute for us.
For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. 2 Corinthians 5:21​
Also Remember Moses when God talked to him through the Burning bush and he was reluctant to go back to Egypt and Pharaoh made a mockery of him.

And Moses said unto God, Who am I, that I should go unto Pharaoh, and that I should bring forth the children of Israel out of Egypt? And he said, Certainly I will be with thee; and this shall be a token unto thee, that I have sent thee: When thou hast brought forth the people out of Egypt, ye shall serve God upon this mountain.
Exodus 3:11‭-‬12 KJV

And afterward Moses and Aaron went in, and told Pharaoh, Thus saith the Lord God of Israel, Let my people go, that they may hold a feast unto me in the wilderness. And Pharaoh said, Who is the Lord , that I should obey his voice to let Israel go? I know not the Lord , neither will I let Israel go.
Exodus 5:1‭-‬2 KJV

And also Don't forget people like Jonah when God sent him to Nineveh and Noah and the flood.

I will pray for you. We are called as God's chosen people to witness to the world. Stand firm and keep the faith, God will be with you. That some day we all may be able to go to his Heavenly Kingdom. Jesus is coming soon and there are becoming less believers and the enemy knows his time is short and he is persecuting and discouraging God's followers.

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com

Alex
Perhaps you can look at all those negative responses to your field of study as the reason God led you to that field of study. People you are encountering there need to soften their hearts and find God again.
Do not be discouraged. Think of all the trials Jesus went through so as to deliver the Good News to the world. He faced the same negativity and contempt in His time. And from learned elders in the temple no less.

Jesus overcame the world and death so as to complete His mission to the world. I think if you cleave to God and pray, He will show you how to do the same way in your tiny part of this world. :) My prayers to you and your success.

Bless you in your studies, Alex.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Hello Alex and welcome to Christian Chat! :)