Adultery

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 27, 2009
Jesus said this:

[27]You have heard that it was said, `You shall not commit adultery.'
[28] But I say to you that every one who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. Matthew 5:27-28 RSV

I suspect there are people that have trouble with this commandment. As a matter of fact, I sometimes have trouble with it myself. Is it important that we do the best we can to obey this commandment, or are we free to ignore the more difficult commandments?

D

DieuMerci

Bob, no were not free to ignore the more difficult commandments. This is really an easy command to obey, if you've recieved the Holy Spirit. Once you have you will be able to control yourself. Once you can control yourself you will choose not to lust after a woman when you see one. I thank God, that I've been given self-control in great abundance, and that I havent had a problem with this command at all. I testify that he will do the same for you, because he is no respecter of persons, Bob. Ask him for his Holy Spirit, ask him that it will bear its fruit in you, that you will be temperate, and when you see a woman, choose not to lust after her.

S

socperkins

As DieuMerci said, we need to strive to obey all the commandments, even the hard ones. I agree with you Bob that this is a hard one to follow, because sometimes we break it without even thinking about it. When this happens though, we need to remember to pray for God's forgiveness and for strength.

Being a tall man in summer makes it especially difficult :p. Yay for winter and more clothing.

Sep 27, 2009
I agree that we need to try to obey even the most difficult commandments. It seems to me some people are pretty good at getting around them, however.

I’ve already said this in a previous thread, but I heard it said we don’t need to obey the commandments of Jesus because the Gospels were written so long after he died that nobody could possibly have remembered what he really said. Certainly that is nonsense. The Lord is a billion time smarter than me, and it even occurs to ME that it would have been a good idea to have someone write his teachings down before he died. Or, as someone on this site mentioned, his teachings could have been passed along orally through the years until they WERE written down, or the Lord in heaven simply told the four Gospel writers what to write. This is just one example of people trying to avoid doing the Lord’s will.

H

Harley_Angel

Humans are SO awesome at justifying everything they do. People can even use Scripture to justify doing horrible things (example: witch trials, crusades, slavery, etc). But, following God's laws isn't enough. The Pharisees followed the law unto the point they forget the REASONS behind the laws. God wants us to follow His rules with a pure heart, not just out of righteousness. Sometimes we sin without meaning to, and once we find out we are sinning, we should stop. And sometimes we follow the rules of God, but forget we are to do so with love, not jsut out of mindless tradition.

Sep 27, 2009
The Pharisees followed the law unto the point they forget the REASONS behind the laws..
Didn’t the Pharisees create a lot of additional laws that proved to be very burdensome and unnecessary?

H

Harley_Angel

I don't think they created them, but I think they used the laws to oppress and judge people, not bring them to God. Like when Jesus was healing on Sabbath, sure it was against the "law" to work on the sabbath, and they condemned Him for breaking the law. But Jesus sort of looks at them and says, so you're telling me you wouldn't HELP someone on the sabbath just because it's work? You would rescue your animal if it had fallen in a crevice on sabbath, not wait until the next day. The point the Pharisees were missing was love, mercy, and grace. They used the law to cut people down, to make themselves self-righteous, and for their own glory, not for Gods. Their demands in order to fulfill the law were strict and rigid and left no room for making allowances to help and love.

L

Leilaii425

I dont believe men should get married. because most if not all of them cannot follow this one rule.

H

Harley_Angel

But, the Bible says it's better for them to get married so they will stop lusting after the woman they marry. There is a difference between arousal and lust.

Jan 8, 2009
The bible does say we aren't even to lust after our own wives. Some Christian men think they have a right to do whatever they want with their wife as long as they are married, and vice versa. That's wrong because your wife as a Christian is also your sister in Christ and you wouldn't defile Christ's body so dont' defile your wifes.

Oct 13, 2009
Jesus said this:

[27]You have heard that it was said, `You shall not commit adultery.'
[28] But I say to you that every one who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. Matthew 5:27-28 RSV

I suspect there are people that have trouble with this commandment. As a matter of fact, I sometimes have trouble with it myself. Is it important that we do the best we can to obey this commandment, or are we free to ignore the more difficult commandments?
*ahem* adultery is for adults only, look in the words ADULTery

seeee?

-_- if children commit "adultery" it is known as childery, not to be confused with electronic stratego.

I

iraasuup

seeee?

-_- if children commit "adultery" it is known as childery, not to be confused with electronic stratego.

What?! *insert confused look here*

Sep 27, 2009

seeee?

Jesus said that “every one who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his hear.” EVERY ONE. According to Jesus, even a child can commit adultery, the way I understand it.

S

socperkins

I dont believe men should get married. because most if not all of them cannot follow this one rule.
A lot of women can't follow this rule either.

C

cornerstone

Job in Job 31:1 said he made a covenant with his eyes not to look upon a maid (virgin)....good covenant to make......to look upon a maid, means to dwell upon, pause, ponder.......good advise. You can not stop the visual, it is before you daily, but you can stop the pondering or "second look" that tempts one.

Just a thought....

C

Cup-of-Ruin

Lust means 'overmastering desire'.

Adulterty is word that has taken on meaning of it's own, the word is taken from adulterate which means 'to debase with inferior materials or elements, make impure by admixture, use cheaper inferior or less desirable goods'...

Commandment Ten covers coveting outside of marrige - 'thou shall not covet thy neighbours wife', God is not repeating Himself, Commandment Six by definition is not the same as Commandment Ten.

Oct 17, 2009
In this instance, Cup of Ruin is correct (miracle of miracles).

The word Jesus uses to condemn lust does not mean the healthy and natural sexual desire that most humans feel, but a desire to possess something that is not rightfully yours. It isn't wrong to enjoy the beauty of another person, but rather to covet their embrace when it belongs to someone else.

The misapplication of this passage has lead to a ridiculous amount of frustration among young Christians who weren't really doing anything wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.