After Sin

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Loves_to_Grin

I was hoping that someone could point out some scripture remarking on repenting your sins and/or doing right by those you have previously wronged.

I am distressed with the sin that I have recently commited, help from my brothers and sisters in Christ in this matter would be thanked in my time of need.

Y

yaeger1

what did you do
you can private message if you like

D

Definition_Christ

Shalom Loves_to_Grin.. Blessings.

It sounds like you are trying do penance. If you don't know what that is it's a Catholic thing, in other words when you do a sin you tell a priest than you have to say the hail Mary 4 times and say the our father etc etc than you have to do nice for someone and you are forgiven.. That is what penance is and I'm not suggesting to do that by any means I don't even recommend it. I am just saying what it sounds like.

There are bible verses for those who persecute you, and bless them... But when you do wrong to somebody else you first have to forgive yourself, ask the Lord for forgiveness and also just apologize to those who you hurt. You don't have to earn your forgiveness. If you did apologize and they do not accept it you just need to give it to the Lord and move away from that situation.. Sorry I'm short on bible verses on this particular topic but I hope what I am saying is helpful and lined up with God's word.

-Bless you !!

Y

yaeger1

L

Loves_to_Grin

Bless you too Definition_Christ, Your answer is one I was looking for. I wasn't considering penance, but rather the "doing right by them" part in my first post. Your guidance in this has been a blessing.

Also, I promise I did not ignore you, yaeger1, I simply am not comfortable with talking about full details of my previous sin to people unknown to me over the internet.
I pray you understand.

Last edited:

1Covenant

I pray that you find this helpful. To God's glory and your good.
It is our heart's condition, as we stand before the Lord, that should be the source of HOW we deal with our brothers and sisters. Guard your heart for out of it flow the issues of life.
Our gifts and service to the Lord are to be presented with clean conscience. Without more to go on in your situation the principle set forth in Matthew 5:23-26 is a good example to follow.

• In this passage the responsibility of the reconciliation is on the shoulders of the one who did the wronging and not on the shoulders of the one wronged. And if this wrongdoer has truly grasped the depth of their sin not only against their brother but also against God (hence why they had to leave their gift), THEN they will also grasp how much they have been forgiven and the fruit of such a realization the Bible says will be in how much love is stirred up in the wrongdoers heart.

• That is an important distinction because if it is the other way around and you are the one that has been wronged, then you are not required to go and make the wrongdoer confess wrongdoing but instead to forgive - for love covers a multitude of sin. And you ought in the spirit of Love restore the wrongdoer in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also are tempted.

I hope you will also see that it is not just about getting past the event but it is about reconciliation and if necessary restitution. It is about Christ and you, as His image bearer in whom dwells the Holy Spirit.

Finally, if you have ears to hear this is an encouraging word...

He who covers his sins will not prosper, But whoever confesses and forsakes them will have mercy.

Sep 27, 2009
I don’t know if this will help, but I’ll copy this in for you:

[9] Pray then like this: Our Father who art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy name.
[10] Thy kingdom come.
Thy will be done,
On earth as it is in heaven.
[11] Give us this day our daily bread;
[12] And forgive us our debts,
As we also have forgiven our debtors;
[13] And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil.
[14] For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father also will forgive you;
[15] but if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses. Matthew 6:9-15 RSV

G

Graybeard

I was hoping that someone could point out some scripture remarking on repenting your sins and/or doing right by those you have previously wronged.

I am distressed with the sin that I have recently commited, help from my brothers and sisters in Christ in this matter would be thanked in my time of need.
Not knowing the full circumstances, here are a few scriptures about confessing:

Jas 5:16 Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.

1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

God Bless

Status
Not open for further replies.