American Indian Powwow

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

tstumf

Many years ago, when my children were small and we were in Oklahoma, at the time,
There was an Indian dance presentation at the mall..when we were there
My kids were fascinated by the ritual, costumes, etc..
And we did not " fall into anything"......
I just thought it was "a learning experience" to have them see another culture.
I’m just checking for Blind Spots in my faith. I do believe we are called as Christians to check for those every so often.

I’ve seen the history channel presentations about the dances,tribes what not. I was raised near the Oglala/Lakota Sioux reservations that are in South Dakota . In my youth I intermingled with the Sioux kids from the reservation over the years but really these kids didn’t have much of their culture to really share. I can’t say as that I’d blame them all they knew is the living conditions of that reservation. so I’m intrigued more than anything. I’m also an American History nerd

Jase

Jun 9, 2021
Attended a funeral a couple months ago. The preacher was most likely internet ordained but not sure. He said an indian prayer or two. White woman was who the funeral was for. Strange goings on.
She may have " been white"..but you may not have known her heritage..and maybe that preacher did.. IMO.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
hmm
well, if its a public entertainment you are not performing in it so it must be open to anyone who wants to watch.
If they are saying prayers in their native langauge and you are not sure what they are saying just pray in tongues while you are there.

In my school we have Maori kids and teachers often have huis even use my library to hold them. Its fine. A hui is a meeting. There are certain protocols they follow, in their langauge just like meetings follow protocol in english.

eg meet and greet, everyone hongis (touches noses) instead of shaking hands
someone might karanga (call people to come)
Karakia (prayer)
pepeha (say where they are from, what tribe, etc)
waiata (sing a song)
koha (donation...like we do honoraiums to the speaker)
kapa haka (perfomance,,,this. might even take up much of the meeting! espeically if large number of guests are invited)
korero (discussion)
tekoteko (speaking stick..just like our microphones)

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I heard many americans celebrate tHanksgiving, which is native american tradtiion of hospitality so, not sure why they would be reluctanct to attend a powwow.

DeanM

May 4, 2021
She may have " been white"..but you may not have known her heritage..and maybe that preacher did.. IMO.
She was my x wife. I knew her heritage. lol

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
in maori hui, its always men leading and women following, women are allowed to speak but must wait their turn, just like in other cultures. There is a certain order to it.

I would say the rudest thing would be to show up expecting things to be exactly like it is in your own culture.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
If you dont know how to dance or are not invited to dance....please refrain lol

You dont show up the performances. I think thats all. Presumably you wont dressed up.
oh and clapping, well, if it IS a performance, you can clap, to show appreciation but thats actually more a western thing.

There may be an mc who tells guest what goes on. ANd a translator. Otherwise, enjoy being out of your comfort zone...I know many christians who are so afraid of reaching out to people just cos they dont know the langauge. The least you can do is be willing to make contact.

T

tstumf

If you dont know how to dance or are not invited to dance....please refrain lol

You dont show up the performances. I think thats all. Presumably you wont dressed up.
oh and clapping, well, if it IS a performance, you can clap, to show appreciation but thats actually more a western thing.

There may be an mc who tells guest what goes on. ANd a translator. Otherwise, enjoy being out of your comfort zone...I know many christians who are so afraid of reaching out to people just cos they dont know the langauge. The least you can do is be willing to make contact.
That’s yet another thing that intrigues me is their native language. Much of it has been lost the last 100 years. Only very few speak their native language or know how to even read it. It’s no longer taught to them so it’s probably almost like Latin or Ancient Greek stuff. Lost culture and mostly vanished language save for the eldest of the tribal members.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
That’s yet another thing that intrigues me is their native language. Much of it has been lost the last 100 years. Only very few speak their native language or know how to even read it. It’s no longer taught to them so it’s probably almost like Latin or Ancient Greek stuff. Lost culture and mostly vanished language save for the eldest of the tribal members.
well, at least there are a few place names as reminders of the rich and varied langauges of the first peoples, and they havent been wiped out.
what happened in nz, where the native maori people were the first inhabitants was, they could see their langauge was going to die out if they didnt teach their children, so the elders, grandparents set up Kohanga Reo, which is language nests, to teach their children from birth. Now these children have grown up and they are speaking fluent maori. Just in the past years, publishers are now publishing books translated into Maori, because the number of adult books available you could count on one hand.
And the Bible is being translated again into Maori too. This is a project that also has audio and hasnt been completed yet.

there was a time when they sent their children to schools that the teaching was only in english to learn the english ways, and even forbade their children to speak Maori. I think this was just for pragmatic, economic reasons. English is a motley language and absorbs other languages, but its the most widely spoken, save for chinese, which has more speakers but is less widespread and not that easy to learn to read and write.

If you want to make a difference I would support full Bible translation or at least audio into native american languages. It shouldnt have to be that everyone needs to learn english first to hear Gods word.

Seeker47

Aug 7, 2018
Have you read a recent reader's digest? I won't even touch them anymore, because I don't want to be seen reading something that has advertisements like that.

The commercials really depend on the channel. My grandmother watches a channel with old matlock, Perry Mason and wild wild West reruns. The commercials there are mostly about health insurance and life insurance.
Haven't read Readers Digest in years, sorry to hear they have turned. They used to be family oriented. And yes, I too have seen enough Medicare Ads and Consumer Cellular Ads to last a lifetime!